Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Question About Hard-Wiring

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2016, 1:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Hard-Wiring

Hello, all...

I have a question about the hard-wiring of a truck, specifically, the 2016 Chevy Colorado.

I want to order/buy a 2016 Colorado WT, with the V6 and the WT convenience package. However, the one and only option I want, which is not offered at all on the WT trim level, is the auto-dimming rear-view mirror. Now, I am aware that is is available in two of the option packages that are offered with the LT trim level, however, both of those options packages include things I do not want, such as leather seats, heated seats, etc.

I called my local Chevy dealer, and spoke with the manager of the dealership, and she informed me that there is simply no way possible to order or equip the WT trim level Colorado with an auto-dimming mirror, as it is something which must be hard-wired into the truck. That got me thinking as to why, then, is it possible to add it to the LT trim level truck, if even the base LT truck comes without the auto-dimming mirror? I mean, how is hard-wiring a WT for the option any different from hard-wiring an LT?

Can somebody who is technically knowledgeable about this kind of stuff educate me on this? I really, really, want an auto-dimming mirror on my truck, but I am adamant about not wanting to go up a trim level, plus pay even more on top of that for an options package with a bunch of stuff I don't want, just to get the one item I do want - the auto-dimming mirror. I know this is something really minor and petty to some, but for me, it's something which is important to me, which I both want and need on my next vehicle, and I would really, really like for that next vehicle to be a 2016 Colorado WT. I figure at the price point this truck is (even the WT), and considering it's 2016, plus the fact that even the basic WT already has such "advances" as a backup camera and a dampened tailgate, it shouldn't be asking too much to also want an auto-dimming mirror, which is something you can get on a Hyundai Excel or as an option on the most basic trim level Honda Civic.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I just don't see why ordering the WT with an auto-dimming mirror from the factory can't be as simple as entering the build with the part number for the mirror, since, as I indicated, even the base LT comes without it, unless you include one of those two options packages. So both trucks should be the same, to begin with, save for cosmetic differences.
Old March 16th, 2016, 6:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

hard to say without knowing the system setup. Is the mirror a stand alone unit or wired into a network?

it may be easier to search for an aftermarket mirror that only needs power and grd.