Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Service Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)

I picked up a screw in one of my tires on my 2007 2wd crew cab colorado the other day and had it fixed. At the same time the tire shop topped the tires off to 35 psi from 30 psi.About 30 miles later that day my Service TPM warning came on and since then has been comming on and off intermittently but is on more often then not. I have checked my tire pressure and it is correct.

The dealer said that the system most likely just needs to be reprogramed, but that I should plan on being stuck at the dealer ship for at least a couple of hours.

Does any one know how to reprogram the 2007 colorado TPM system?
Old March 17th, 2008, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Service Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)

I believe that you will find it in the owners manual, page 370. General process is ignition on with engine off, turn exterior lamp switch from auto to off four times, listen for a double horn chirp, start with left front tire, increase/decrease presure, then right front, right rear, left rear.
Old March 18th, 2008, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks,I found the procedure in my manual on page 390. I gave it a try and I am not getting a response from the Left Rear, coincidence that this is the same tire that I had the screw, something tells me probably not. So I guess I need to take on the tire store. I fear that it may be difficult battle since I went to a Tire Factory, which does not charge for flat repairs which as a result they do not give you a receipt for the work either. I may start at the dealer since the truck is still under warranty and the sensor did not pickup the low tire pressure when it was around 22 psi prior to the fix.
Old March 18th, 2008, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

1. Take all four valvestem caps off.
2. Find a tool such as a small diameter philips screwdriver that will work to let air out of the valvestem. A common aluminum 1/8" rivet (round end into valve stem) works very well.
3. Add air so that the tire pressures are all 40+ psi (do not exceed the tire's max. inflation rating on the sidewall).
4. Turn key to on position.
5. Apply parking brake.
6. Press and hold lock/unlock down at the same time (for about 3 seconds) on the key fob until the pickup honks.
7. Start at the LF tire.
8. Let air out for 4 seconds - count it out (one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand, four one-thousand).
9. Wait for about 15 seconds* for the honk (sometimes it'll honk right away).
10. Repeat 7 and 8 for the RF tire.
11. Repeat 7 and 8 for the RR tire.
12. Repeat 7 and 8 for the LR tire.
13. With all four now done, the system will give it's final multi-honk completion note.
14. Use a quality gauge to set your final pressures (a good gauge will exactly match the sensor readings).
15. Replace all four valvestem caps.

*If you've waited fifteen seconds for the honk and nothing has happened. Don't panic - Simply repeat 8 and 9 again as there is a two minute window to do each tire sensor.

the tire shop could have damaged the sensor, if they do repairs, with the tire off the rim?
Old March 19th, 2008, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Ended up taking it to the dealer and they found that the Left Rear sensor was dead. They said that it did not apear damaged so they replaced it under warrany. The problem is now fixed. I will definately use the procedure described above on my upcomming tire rotation though.
Old February 21st, 2009, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

My wifes 07 GP (TPM) came on and said she had a low tire but when she got to the tire shop the pressure was ok . They sold her a set on new tires and at that time found the sensor broken off in the tire . The G M dealership said the shop broke it that's not true, but do remember hitting a large pothole in Ky. last week.I was wondering has anyone had simlar problem? Thanks enjoy reading post.
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Colorado and my Service TPM light came on. I went through the "relearing" process as described in the manual but i still get the service tpm message. It will come on for a minute or so then go off by itself. All tires are at 35psi. Checked with a good tire gauge. Any ideas?
Old September 10th, 2010, 3:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Cazguy, I would suggest having a dealership take a look at the vehicle. Depending on your mileage you may still be under the bumper to bumper warranty and be covered for this fix, under normal circumstances. The dealership would be the best equipped to diagnose and repair this kind of issue. I hope that helps you and if you continue to have issues feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 16th, 2010, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default low pressure on all the time

Hey everyone. I had my tires changed about a month ago. The low pressure alert has been on since then. I had the tire place check them out and they say they're all registering fine. I went through the manual and set the to re-learn. but the back drivers side doesn't register/beep. Is there any way to tell my truck that it is working? I was told that when changing tires sometimes they get "moved" or knocked loose. Has anybody else ran into this?
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tire that will not beep has a bad sensor.

Quick Reply: Service Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)