Computer, Ignition, & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, ignition system, fuel system and delivery, customization and more.

Obd ii p0430

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2011, 1:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Obd ii p0430

Hi every one.
Last time I wrote a question at the forum I asked about fuel problem. Well it was the fuel pump that was broken. After replacing it the car has been working fine. However now there is the OBD II code P0430 coming up now and then and I am out of ideas what the problem might be. Hopefully there is someone at the forum who can help me.
This is what I already have been doing.

I have been changing both upstream oxygen sensors, new fuel pump, new throttle position sensor, new fuel pressure valve, new MAP sensor, new idle control valve, new sparkplugs, new sparkplug wires, new battery, and I have been cleaning al ground spots that I could find. When I asked a work shop manager he said that I probably have to accept this code and live with it. Well I donīt like to live with it.
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P0430 means "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2." When the catalytic converter is doing its job, the upstream O2 sensor readings will fluctuate back and forth while the downstream sensor readings will be steady. This is because the extra oxygen in the lean phase will be stored in the catalysts to be used during the subsequent rich phase. As the catalytic converter degrades, the downstream O2 sensor readings will start fluctuating which means higher levels of emission and thus the PCM will declare either P0420 (for bank 1) or P0430 (for bank 2). It looks like you need to replace the bank 2 catalytic converter.