Corvette Since 1953, the All American Sports car, and with the new 2014 C7 model, no end is in sight.

2014 Corvette C7
Platform: Y-body
Latest Corvette C7 News here: CorvetteForum.com

Question on transmission swap.

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on transmission swap.

I may be able to acquire/buy/purchase a 1982 Chevy Corvette in a few years from a friend.

The only problem that I know of is that it has a problem reading the amount of fuel inthe fuel tank properly. I don't know if it needs a new gauge or something else.

But, I was wondering, if I was going to do a transmission swap, from the current automatic to a manual, what do I need to do? I don't know what kind of transmission or anything, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Question on transmission swap.

Welcome to the Corvette forum. Best bet is to check out some books (there's a lot of them) and some tranny suppliers like Kiesler. The more research you do, the better prepared you'll be when the timecomes.
Old August 14th, 2008, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Would a manual transmission from a previous year of the same generation work in the '82?
From what I have found, the '82 only camewith the 302 small block with the only option of an automatic.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Probably, but you might need a new driveshaft.
Old August 14th, 2008, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Welcome Clueless, The dream for a '82 stick shift corvette is pretty steep. If you go through with the project find a donor car, because your going to need a boat load of parts that are only could come from another vette i.e. the floor pedals, and other small parts. I personally would not cut up a car for such a option. I would find a vette that fits your dream. The '82 vette came w/ only the L83 350 no 302 unless somebody did a custom install. The fuel gage issue is probaly the the pickup in the tank or the wiring going to the pickup.
Old August 14th, 2008, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

I, personnally, prefer a stick. I just hate the feel of automatics.

Wouldn't I be able to get those small parts from stores that sell parts to people that are trying to restore older vehicles?

About the engine thing, I didn't remember exactly what size it was. I just remembered the 3 in from of the #.

Can you buy just the pickup?
Old August 14th, 2008, 7:47 PM
Administrator

I don't mean to cast aspersions but if you aren't sure what engine this car has, I don't think you'll want to tackle a tranny swap w/o a lot of book work and research.
Old August 14th, 2008, 8:08 PM
CF Junior Member

O.K., here's the deal on the tranny.
You can pick up a 4 sp from any GM car, even as far back as the '50s.
I suggest an M-21 or M-22. Personally, I'm plannin' on a 3 sp stick w/O.D that has come from a '56 Bel-Aire.
You can still find 4 sp trannys at wrecking yards. If I remember right, the automajics are longer, so you'll need a dif drive shaft.
There is a Vette wrecking yard that I have used to get a few parts. Give them a try for your pedles and clutch linkage. www.pacvette.com
I got my clutch, flywheel and bearings from Summit Racing. You'll need to get a bell housing and clutch fork too. Should be able to get them from the same place you get the tranny.
As far as the fuel system parts, try www.ecklers.com . There are several Vette part suppliers, but this is the one I use most of the time. I got my complete suspension system from them. Prompt delivery and good quality.
I sure hope this info helps.
Old August 15th, 2008, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: 73shark

I don't mean to cast aspersions but if you aren't sure what engine this car has, I don't think you'll want to tackle a tranny swap w/o a lot of book work and research.
Sry, I couldn't remember the exact size of the engine at the time I posted. I am pretty sure that my friend didn't change the engine or have any other changes.

Thx Yankeecorvette for the idea of the donor car.
Thx C3 Starship. You gave me the most helpful information. Many thanks
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:58 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by maiev04
Manual transmission would be suicide nowadays because if you cannot determine what your capacity is, you would soon crash the wall. Just consider this.

Have you happened to notice the dates on all these post your commenting on? Surely you aren't expecting the OP to answer after 4 years and only have a few post in the first place.

Quick Reply: Question on transmission swap.