Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2011 Chevy Cruze engine power reduced, service esp, and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2014, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 Chevy Cruze engine power reduced, service esp, and service traction control

I purchased a 2011 Chevy Cruze back in June of 2014. It has less than 31,000 miles on it and I am completely disgusted by all of the issues that I've had with this car. Today I had 3 warning lights come on(engine power reduced, service esp, and service traction control). I'm not sure if it's because of the extremely cold weather, but I don't care. This is my 2nd Chevy and after bad experiences with both, I will never purchase another. My Cruze cut off on me 3 times in the middle if traffic and it took 10 tries to make it back to my job where I had to leave my car. I have an appointment with the dealer in a couple of days and I'm afraid of what they are going to say. Has anyone else had this problem? About how much was it to fix? I'm really upset that I am paying $400+ a month for a car that has me spending money on repairs already.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You must have a 3 year loan to be paying $400/month for a 2011 cruze.

What level is it? base? SS?
Old January 3rd, 2015, 6:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
You must have a 3 year loan to be paying $400/month for a 2011 cruze.

What level is it? base? SS?
It's a Chevy Cruze LT
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

hi, there are several people having the same issue as yours. if youre haveing the issue of engine powering down, it's most likely the negative terminal battery cable that goes to the body of your car. chevy made a lot of defective negative cables and people had to go back to have them replaced.
also, when you crank your car, pop the hood and try to listen for a hiss sound, this makes your car idle roughly or jerk when you are at a redlight. replacing the valve cover fixed that for me. pls keep us updated on the outcome of the dealer's visit.
Old January 16th, 2016, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.K. I have talked to a friend that works at a GM dealer. this is a common problem . their is a Bulletin on this that ONLY the dealers know Bulletin # is 11273B. Now the thing is your vehicle must have code P2135 in the history to be covered under this program. Before you go to a dealer go to a advance auto if poss. to get your history read they do have the OBDII reader that will do it. This way the dealer can not say .Well no code is their ,.. Note Tell Advance to NOT clear codes.<<<----Very important to have code in system...
Old January 17th, 2016, 8:35 PM
CF Veteran

many things could cause those symptoms, just guessing without codes
Old January 27th, 2016, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

The issue will be a mis-fire in cylinder 4, furthest away from fuel rail. This as a common problem in this engine. Changing the spark plugs out and gapping to revised spec usualy fixes this.
Old January 28th, 2016, 1:34 PM
CF Veteran

which issue are you talking about? a p2135 has nothing to do with a misfire and without a p0300 p0304 or scan data I wouldn't be throwing plugs at it for fun
Old January 28th, 2016, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

First post said "Today I had 3 warning lights come on(engine power reduced, service esp, and service traction control)." It is important to know in modern vehicles the code is simply a starting point, as the systems on these cars are all linked one code can cause another. A misfire triggers the engine power reduction, which disables ESP ans TC. The misfire is a common problem with the Ecotech engine line, and is most commonly caused by improper spark plug gap. As you seem to be knowledgeable you would know the 2011 Cruze spark plug gap was revised in 2014 from a range of .023-.026 to a set .028 for 1.4L, .035 for 1.8, and a note added to check gaps on spark plugs before install as they can be off as much a .010". I myself had this same issue twice, after replacing spark plugs and re-gaping the problem has not come back since 2012, which is when Chevrolet first recommended the gap correction, unofficially. 2 of the 4 spark plugs I purchase from Chevrolet were over gapped by .007 and the other two were under gapped by .002. There service department told me they were pre-gapped when I asked them. So as usual the issue is not always with in this case Chevrolet, but the independent Dealer not training there shop on proper service of the vehicle.

Last edited by thomasmeisch; January 28th, 2016 at 4:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tmuell58 (December 14th, 2022)
Old January 29th, 2016, 1:46 PM
CF Veteran

yea theres literally hundreds of codes or code combinations that disable multiple systems to prevent the driver from causing more damage, I will admit this is new information to me though I haven't changed spark plugs on a cruze at all (other than maintenance) I've done any and every other part under the hood including a ton of coil packs but no plugs. Probably because most of the vehicles out of warranty I don't see.

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevy Cruze engine power reduced, service esp, and service traction control