Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

2011 Chevy Cruze Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2014, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so many problems

I have had so many problems with the Cruze. Its a 2011 and i bought it in dec 2011 with 10k miles. In a year i have had so many problems with multiple recalls, oil leaking and a burning smell. I have had it into Sullivan Parkhill 4 times for oil leaking, first they told me it was nothing then they changed something then the valve cover then they said it was the turbo (THANKFULLY ALL UNDER WARRANTY) now my air doesn't work anymore! When 2 weeks ago before i took it into be looked at it worked fine! I am so upset with the Cruze and Sullivans. They gave me a rental car to drive, the next day afte rwork it had a flat tire, totally undriveable flat. I call the dealership they tell me they were sorry and they were about leave for the day but would send someone out to put a doughnut on. I live out of town and i am not driving around their broke rental because they want to go home. Thank God i had a friend with me able to give me a ride home and into work the next day. I cant even tell you how frustrated I am with Chevorlet and the cruze. The car is 3 years old has 50k miles on it and its been in the shop 4 times. HELP!
Old April 22nd, 2014, 1:26 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello grly300,

I am truly sorry to hear you are having these concerns with your Cruze. I would like to look into this further with your Chevrolet dealership. Please private message me your name, VIN, and phone number. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 22nd, 2014, 2:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by grly300
I have had so many problems with the Cruze. Its a 2011 and i bought it in dec 2011 with 10k miles. In a year i have had so many problems with multiple recalls, oil leaking and a burning smell. I have had it into Sullivan Parkhill 4 times for oil leaking, first they told me it was nothing then they changed something then the valve cover then they said it was the turbo (THANKFULLY ALL UNDER WARRANTY) now my air doesn't work anymore! When 2 weeks ago before i took it into be looked at it worked fine! I am so upset with the Cruze and Sullivans. They gave me a rental car to drive, the next day afte rwork it had a flat tire, totally undriveable flat. I call the dealership they tell me they were sorry and they were about leave for the day but would send someone out to put a doughnut on. I live out of town and i am not driving around their broke rental because they want to go home. Thank God i had a friend with me able to give me a ride home and into work the next day. I cant even tell you how frustrated I am with Chevorlet and the cruze. The car is 3 years old has 50k miles on it and its been in the shop 4 times. HELP!
Sorry for your troubles. I can TOTALLY relate! Not sure what can be done now that it is 3 years old with 50,000. Maybe your troubles will end and things will work out for you.

Old August 18th, 2014, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Cool bbodkins

I bought a chevy Cruise last year, I enjoyed it till this year. Was heading on vacation, pulled into gas station or should say was still on the hiway trying to pull into a gas station when I had no power. I was in drive and no power to get in the gas station I was strong enough to push the car in the gravel of station. I shut car off turned back on still nothing no indicator lights no whistles no message center lighting up telling me something was wrong. I call my warranty company told them what happend they sent a tow truck to come and get the vehicle. Vehicle has been in shop for a week and a half now found out the tranny malfunctioned it split the spleen(not sure what that is) but it messed up the car bad. So I'm hoping when I get it back my car is better. But from what I've read on here doesn't sound like it.
Old August 19th, 2014, 9:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Blumbodkins
I bought a chevy Cruise last year, I enjoyed it till this year. Was heading on vacation, pulled into gas station or should say was still on the hiway trying to pull into a gas station when I had no power. I was in drive and no power to get in the gas station I was strong enough to push the car in the gravel of station. I shut car off turned back on still nothing no indicator lights no whistles no message center lighting up telling me something was wrong. I call my warranty company told them what happend they sent a tow truck to come and get the vehicle. Vehicle has been in shop for a week and a half now found out the tranny malfunctioned it split the spleen(not sure what that is) but it messed up the car bad. So I'm hoping when I get it back my car is better. But from what I've read on here doesn't sound like it.

At least they found something that was wrong! When I had my Cruze, they said there was nothing wrong with it and that it was "operating as designed" because my problem was erratic! That's why they changed something in the 2012 models and later. ALL BS! I said it before and I'll say it AGAIN- I'm THRILLED GM got caught with this ignition problem and are SUDDENLY recalling EVERY car with ANY kind of problem! I just received a recall notice for my 2004 Chevy Aveo that has never had ANY problems. The recall is for the DRL module that could overheat and cause a fire! Only problem now is they have NO parts yet! It's been months since I first read about the problem, long before I got the notice from GM!

Oh well. Time will tell IF they really changed or if this is just all show for Congress! Stay tuned.
Old August 19th, 2014, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

It is to bad such a nice little car with great gas mileage has this problem that no one can figure out. We bought our Cruze with about $15,000.00 miles and then started to notice it cutting out all the time. We had it into the shop 3 months in a row. They always found something wrong, including a recall on something but never ever fixed the issue with the way the car drove.

We bought this car for our twin boys to learn to drive and drive when they got their license. It felt like we were driving a car that you had to shift but we were not actually shifting. I was raised on a stick shift so I know how to shift.

The time we pulled out of our subdivision on to a 2 lane road it hesitated so bad that we almost got T Boned. This was the last time we were dealing with this as we went and traded the car off.

Unfortunately, we lost money and we did not get another Chevy. We could not take any chances with our 15 year old boys driving this car and we could not afford to keep fixing it.

Miss the little car but it just had to many issues.

Old December 18th, 2014, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default 6-speed manual problem

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Cruze vehicle. Have you contact Customer Service regarding this issue? If so, would you please provide the SR#, so I can look into your case further for you?

If not, I would be happy to look into this issue, please PM me your contact information.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I'm having an issue where if the car has been shut off (doesn't matter how long) after I've accelerated and shifted into second for the first time it makes a grinding gear noise 3-5 seconds after going into second. It wont do it again till the cars been shut off again. Do you know what could cause this?
Old December 18th, 2014, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default seems to be just a terrible car

I bought this new and its approaching the end of the power train warranty now. It has always shift a little rough at times but now does it all the time. I made an appointment with Sapaugh gm in my local area. The same week the traction control light started coming on...rough idle. The dealer told me its was a misfire cylinder1 and could be clogged injection or the aftermarket plugs. Was told to run seafoam thru it...this was probably causing the transmission issue. A week later back at the dealer it will not start.. I am told it was a blow fuse...the replaced that...still has missfire and transmission issue. They said there was a software update that would fix the transmission but i would have to pay for it. I refuse to pay for that and after some arguing they did it for free except for the diagnosis fee. Was told it is fixed. I picked up the car tonight and it is worse than went i left it. Almost undrivable....going back tomorrow....ive paid 2 diagnosis fees and still no real answer...im done with chevy after this gets fixed.
Old December 18th, 2014, 9:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecaveboy
I'm having an issue where if the car has been shut off (doesn't matter how long) after I've accelerated and shifted into second for the first time it makes a grinding gear noise 3-5 seconds after going into second. It wont do it again till the cars been shut off again. Do you know what could cause this?
Hey there,

Very sorry for this! We would be happy to contact your dealership on your behalf for additional assistance. They will be in the best position to diagnose this, and possibly find a resolution. We're just a private message away!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by fastdriver
At least they found something that was wrong! When I had my Cruze, they said there was nothing wrong with it and that it was "operating as designed" because my problem was erratic! That's why they changed something in the 2012 models and later. ALL BS! I said it before and I'll say it AGAIN- I'm THRILLED GM got caught with this ignition problem and are SUDDENLY recalling EVERY car with ANY kind of problem! I just received a recall notice for my 2004 Chevy Aveo that has never had ANY problems. The recall is for the DRL module that could overheat and cause a fire! Only problem now is they have NO parts yet! It's been months since I first read about the problem, long before I got the notice from GM!

Oh well. Time will tell IF they really changed or if this is just all show for Congress! Stay tuned.

Hi all! Have not been here in a very long time because I have nothing to report! My Verano Turbo will be 2 years old on 1/31 and not one problem! This is the way a NEW car should be for at least a FEW years- troublefree.

The ONLY thing to report on is the recall for my 2004 Chevy Aveo LS with 24,000 miles on it, for the DRL module has STILL not been resolved! I think we are going on 7 months now since it was first reported! About a month ago I called GM CORPORATE because Chevy "customer service" was USELESS! NO INFORMATION! I THOUGHT that by calling corporate I would get someone who would have direct access to the department working on getting the replacement DRL module! As always, the lady was very nice. I called her on a Friday. She said that she would call me back the following Wednesday. Fine. Wednesday came and went- NO call.

On Thursday, I believe, I got a call from my dealer who knows me well because of all my previous problems with my 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS with it's crappy shifting transmission and hesitation when accelerating! I laughed when I heard who was calling! I knew EXACTLY what the GM lady did! He told her that he knew me well and had NO problem calling me, but asked WHY she didn't call me and tell me! MAYBE, now that I think of it, she saw ALL my phone calls and complaints about that previous Cruze, and didn't want to deal with me when she told me the same thing "customer service" told me- they're working on it!

Anyway, he said that if he hears anything, he'll call me. In the meantime, I was going to wait a few more days before I called the GM lady back to ask WHY she called the dealer and not me. Finally, 5 days after she said she would call me, she did call with NO information! Did I REALLY expect anything different? I told her that all this was a waste of my time!

There is NO "NEW" GM! It's the same old- ALL TALK AND NO ACTION! Like I have said a hundred times before, I am THRILLED that GM got CAUGHT about this ignition switch problem. KARMA finally got them!

That said, I still love my Buick Verano. As a matter of fact, I believe the Verano is the ONLY GM car that has NOT been recalled except for some small door lock sticking problem that I do not have. So sorry for those of you who bought your cars and had problems that GM and the dealer could not/would not fix! THIS is the reason that I LEASE my cars! IF there is a problem and the value of the car diminishes, the car goes BACK to its maker and THEY take the loss and NOT ME! Think about it.

I hope everyone has a great holiday. Stay safe and drive carefully and expect the unexpected if you're doing an older Cruze. Not sure if all the bugs have been worked out of the newer models, but Consumer Reports does not give the Cruze good ratings!

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevy Cruze Transmission Problems