Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

2011 Chevy Cruze Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2016, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I send a private message to Chevy Customer Service? I need to speak with someone directly in regards to the issues I'm currently experiencing with my 2011 Chevy Cruz and its transmission. Thank you.
Old October 19th, 2016, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Bought a "Certified" 2011 Cruze LT in September 2013, with 51,728 miles on it. Since we financed the car (5 year loan), we bought a 100,000 mile warranty, and in the finance officer's words 'it would cover the car for most of the finance period'. Right from the start we experienced the 'lag' issue - press the accelerator and wait 2 to 3 seconds for the car to respond. It's not that bad when driving the town streets, but it is SCARY when you need to merge on the highway. When asked the service advisor at the dealership, I was told that it was a 'normal' issue with the car, and something we would have to 'get used to'. Shortly thereafter, we started to experience the rough shifting that everyone here is talking about. The tach would register over 5000 rpm, and then SLAM into gear. And, it was not isolated to just any gear. It would happen in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gears; can't say if it was happening when shifting into 6th. It would happen just once, and then go away for weeks upon time. When it happens, it scares the bleep out of you. In August 2014, took the car to the dealer. Came back with 'could not duplicate concern'. To me, that's not a concern, but a major problem. Took the car back on October 2, 2014 with the same hard shift issue, and the service advisor could find nothing wrong. Went back October 14, and the service advisor stated that they could find nothing wrong because that how the 'newer transmissions operate'. I do a lot of travel and drive a lot of rental cars, and can not recall any transmissions that operate like this as a normal feature. So, yes, we have been living with it.

Two days ago, the transmission did 2 hard shifts in a row, and that was the end of that. The engine runs, but the transmission would not engage. Had the car towed to the dealership where we bought the car, and the warranty. The car has 106,048 miles. They said that the warranty expired at 100,000 miles. So apparently, I only purchased a 54,320 mile warranty... The dealer states that they can replace the transmission for $5300.

I am so done with this chevy dealer, and this car! It has been a frustrating and emotional journey. There were other problems too - leaking water pump, an oil leak that they could not find for a year (again the 'no problem found'), trunk would not unlock, sunroof would not close, reduced engine power light, etc...I only focused on the lag (which still exists of course) and the hard shift.

Last edited by am170365; October 19th, 2016 at 4:52 PM.
Old October 24th, 2016, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default And another unsatisfied customer

Welp, ive lost all faith in the Customer Service provided by Chevrolet and GM. My wifes Cruze (2011 AT) has now been at the dealer 3 times this month for various problems. No accountability by the service team at the dealership. 1st problem was a power steering module, it was replaced, and we were charged (something that as a company should be replaced free of charge if not intentionally broke), 1 week later we had a hose "leak", we were told the hose was "old and no good" and a new one had to be put on. We got charged for that and lied to that the hose wasn't near the previous work (it was). Now it is having transmission problems. Actually more than a problem, it broke. They found metal shavings in the fluid. It has around 60k miles on it. We are now about to be in the hole $2700 for a problem that seems far and wide an issue that GM should be handling in house and not charging their customers. We were both really interested in Trading up this year to new Chevys, but after these issues and lack of care and accountability by the company as a whole, I will take my business elsewhere.
Old May 20th, 2017, 6:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jmac795
Noticed a lag when starting off from a stop sign yesterday so I stopped and started again and it repeated itself. I made it home and this morning when I got up to leave for work, I started the car and it started shaking and a light with a wrench with "service stabilitrak" came on and then the car shut off on its own. I started it again and was shaking even more with the same light so I shut it off and took a different vehicle to work. Any Ideas as to what the problem may be? 35,000 miles and not very happy right now. Thanks
I took my car to a different dealership had to have the head gasket replaced, new spark plug and engine coil replaced car ran smoother after fix. Would cost $500 w/o extended warranty but since I had the warranty cost only $75. Hope this helps!
Old June 5th, 2017, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
jaynv01,

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations with your Cruze. If you would like, I can research your vehicle further if you PM your VIN number. Please keep us posted on the results of your next visit.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

I look forward to your response.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Hello,

I like everyone else has a 2011 chevy cruze eco that is less then 6 years old and has only 53,000 miles on it. I just found out this morning after my car died in the middle of the road while driving that I need a new transmission and am extremely upset to say the least. I contacted Chevrolet and am waiting for a supervisor to call me back. I will never buy a Chevrolet knowing that other people are having similar issues.

My 2011 cruze vin is 1G1PJ5S97B7267465
Old July 17th, 2017, 1:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 same problem

I just purchased a 2012 Cruze used, it has 58000 miles, during my test drives it drive fine, but while driving through neighborhoods where the speed limit is slower and stop signs are everywhere.... I noticed that it downshifted really rough when I was coming to a stop and then taking off it would jerk going from first to second gear, it is annoying and worries me greatly. This is the first American car I've bought in quite awhile and I wouldn't have purchased this one truthfully if I had another option at the time, every Ford, dodge, and chevy I've ever owned have been complete lemons. After a really bad experience with my dodge magnum going through 6 transmissions before 100000 miles and the car almost bankrupting me I've never bought American again. Now I purchased this car being in a predicament and day two....tranny issues already. Also stupid radio already quit working. If anyone has a answer for these tranny issues and dumb *** radio please let me know, I got 90 days to return this car and I'm already ready to get rid of it.... this will be day 3 of owning it.
Old November 20th, 2017, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Chevy cruze Lt transmission issues

I have a 2011 Chevy cruze Lt that I have had for almost three years now and of course I bought it used,but now my transmission won't shift or accelerate now and its been down for three months now and I have been getting the run around about what the problem is for real. No I have not been to the dealership,but I have called the dealership and manufactor to see if this problem was covered under any recalls or warranties and was rudely told no. I keep reading differently online with other ctuze owners with same issues. I need help figuring out if my transmission is replaceable by Gm. The car is under 100,000 miles but only 6yrs old. Can anyone help me with a solution please.
Old November 21st, 2017, 5:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by William Joseph Whitcher
I just purchased a 2012 Cruze used, it has 58000 miles, during my test drives it drive fine, but while driving through neighborhoods where the speed limit is slower and stop signs are everywhere.... I noticed that it downshifted really rough when I was coming to a stop and then taking off it would jerk going from first to second gear, it is annoying and worries me greatly. This is the first American car I've bought in quite awhile and I wouldn't have purchased this one truthfully if I had another option at the time, every Ford, dodge, and chevy I've ever owned have been complete lemons. After a really bad experience with my dodge magnum going through 6 transmissions before 100000 miles and the car almost bankrupting me I've never bought American again. Now I purchased this car being in a predicament and day two....tranny issues already. Also stupid radio already quit working. If anyone has a answer for these tranny issues and dumb *** radio please let me know, I got 90 days to return this car and I'm already ready to get rid of it.... this will be day 3 of owning it.
So sorry for your troubles. If you have the option to return it, DO IT ASAP! You will get nothing but double-talk and excuses and NO help! Sorry. Take your time for the next car and look for a CERTIFIED USED CAR from the dealer that sells that model car! Wish I had a solution for you, but from previous experience and tranny problems with my 2011 Cruze LTZ RS they will say there is NOTHING wrong! This is WHY I always LEASE! Keep the car as long as the warranty and if it's a POS, the car company gets it back and THEY take the loss for their lemon and NOT YOU!
Old May 23rd, 2020, 1:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default transmission and camshaft

i unfortunately bought my cruze 2011ls 1.8 in a used lot and i have no idea why the previous owner left it at 125000 and soon after i know why im mad at the dealership i got it from cause he didn't have a report on what has been done to this car oraor what he has even tried doing without letting me know about the issue or the work this car needs its it first car and im disappointed to finding out all these problems this car has and im still paying for it ,the warranty was far gone when i got it and from the time it had to be checked on noone did anything to repair the issue, most likely im going to leave it back to the dealership i got it from