Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

2011 Chevy Cruze Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ksellers
I started looking today into where my rpm's should be at 70 mph, because 3000 seemed high.. When I started reading these posts, I was a little disappointed to find that pretty much everyone has been experiencing the problems I've had. I bought my 2011 Cruze just over a month ago when I moved for my new job after college. (first purchase on my own) I thought maybe I just needed to get used to the car since I Had been driving a 2000 Tahoe, lifted, with huge tires and dual exhaust.. But the transmission is really pi*sing me off now. It doesnt shift smoothly AT ALL, sometimes bangs so loud I look out the rearview mirror to see if the whole damn thing is laying in the road. The pick-up/ response time between accelerator and actually going anywhere almost gets me hit half the time. I don't get the fuel mileage that is boasted about. I started it up one time and the whole car started shaking like I was in an earthquake, "service stabilitrak" light came on, had to turn it off anad back on to make it stop. Drove not even an hour to my boyfriend's last night and almost there I got "A/C has been turned off due to high engine temp". I'm fed up with this car. Disappointed that it was my first big purchase on my own.
ksellers,

I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues with your vehicle. Have you taken the vehicle back to the dealer for an inspection for these issues? Have you contacted Customer Service? I would like to look into these issues further for you.

Please contact me privately with your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 1st, 2012, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finally been able to get someone from Chevy corporate to call me back. And, I am expecting another call tomorrow morning.

Each time the car has been in the ship, the dealer has not been able to reproduce the problems I am experiencing. The car has been to two different dealers regarding the same problems.

In reading my state's lemon law, I must use Chevy's arbitration service to resolve the issue before invoking the lemon law.

Has anyone used Chevy's arbitration process? Or, does such a process even exist?

Thank you for your help.
Old October 17th, 2012, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

I purchased my Automatic transmission Chevy Cruze in January 2011. I noticed that it has always had slow acceleration on take off in drive and last night I noticed the car revved up to high rpms but didn't shift gears when I tried to increase my speed upon take off and was pretty much gutless the rest of my trip home, I also noticed my car heated up slightly higher than I am used to seeing it as well (switching to manual mode didn't help either and and 2nd gear in manual mode seemed to be the problem). I only have about 25,000 miles on my car. I am pretty sure that at 25,000 miles I should still be expecting my car to be reliable without any service problems. This morning my car appears to be driving fine but it had a cold engine.

Last edited by DestinyT; October 17th, 2012 at 9:59 AM.
Old January 24th, 2013, 6:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2011 Chevy Cruze is notorious for the erratic transmission shifting and lack of response at times when stepping on the gas. The best advice I have for those of you who have this problem is to report it to the NHTSA site that I will list below. I have been the route with the dealer for over a year complaining to them about the problem and them telling me there were NO new updates from GM. I did have a new TCM put in in August 2012 with 10,196 miles on my car, but that did NOTHING to improve the shifting. I have also been in contact with GM "customer service" AND GM Corporate for the past 6 months and well over 40 recorded phone calls from them. ALL talk! They were going to install a data recorder on my car. That was like a 2 month ordeal because the dealer kept telling me that they were waiting for GM to update the data recorder for my Cruze. November 7th was the date I was supposed to get this installed. I get to the dealer and he tells me that GM has not sent the update yet. They had OVER a month to do that!

So, I came home and decided that it was time to call GM Corporate directly instead of dealing with "customer service"! So, from November 7, 2012 until January 15, 2013, the ONLY thing that was accomplished, besides my blood pressure rising EVERYTIME my Called ID said GM, was to have an engineer come down to look at my Cruze. That was Jan. 15th. On Jan. 21st, the dealer finally called me and said......................are you ready....................because I am SURE those of you with the same problem KNOW what I am going to say............."car operating as designed"! LOL......My problem is erratic and most noticeable in stop and go driving that I do the most. This engineer drove my car a total of 13 miles! I told them, when I dropped the car off, to keep it as long as they wanted! WHY they had it for 5 days is beyond me. You see, there is NO fix for the problems we are having with the shifting and lack of acceleration at times. Putting in a new transmission will NOT solve the problem. My dealer told me they already did that with someone else's Cruze. A 2012 transmission cannot be put in a 2011 model according to the guy from GM Corporate. So, as far as GM is concerned- CASE CLOSED! As far as I am concerned, the battle continues as I move on to the next step.

THIS forum seems VERY dead. May I suggest you go to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums where the action is constant and ongoing. You can read more about my soap opera story in any transmission topic there. Some of the tranny topics you have to search for. The following is what I copied from my post at cruzetalk because it seems as if this may be our ONLY hope of getting our cars recalled!

For those of you who are still experiencing problems with your Cruze transmission and lack of acceleration at times and can't get anywhere with their dealer OR the new and improved GM "customer service", my only suggestion is to file a complaint with the NHTSA at this address-

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It is an Adobe .pdf form that you download and fill out right on your computer and then upload to NHTSA. It is VERY easy and does not take hours to do. I learned that you cannot be wordy because they restrict how much you can write and you cannot include people's names because they will delete them. When I called them, they told me that while they cannot solve individual problems, they will look for recurring issues and if they feel there is a pattern, they CAN initiate a RECALL of our cars. You KNOW that GM is not going to recall them! I feel sorry for those of you who purchased your cars outright. Many of you already traded them in, at a loss, and purchased something else. I'm "lucky" because my car is a lease and on February 14, 2014, it goes back to its maker- GM! The loss of value is on THEM and not me! I don't think they will be able to sell this car to anyone. That said, my cars are kept in pristine condition with low miles, so someone seeing it might jump at it and not pay attention to how it drives and get hoodwinked into buying it. Hopefully not. I only have 13,200 miles in 2 years. Good luck.

Last edited by fastdriver; January 25th, 2013 at 7:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jessi Villalvazo (May 23rd, 2020)
Old January 29th, 2013, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Got rid of 2011 cruze too many problems

After nine times to GM dealer for many problems with 2011 cruze I had to get a car that we could depend on.Transmission problem was only one of my many issues with this piece of junk car and I would not recommend the cruze to anyone. The dealer that we bought car from wanted to keep ouir business so thay made us a really good deal on a year newer 2012 chev malibu and I bet that they take the car to auction and I pity anyone who buys it. Problems with load rattle in mirror, Trans torque convertor oil leak,water pump antifreeze leak,no brakes in reverse,fire issue recall, not being able to tow all four down, terrible burnt oil/antifreeze smell making driver and passingers sick and problem couln't be corrected in three trys by GM dealer. I don't have time to fight with GM with a lemon law suit because we need a car that we can depend on for many miles of interstate driving and we don't have any issues with 2012 chev malibu which is a bigger car. The malibu rides better and gets 30 mpg vs 35 with cruze but I think it will be dependable. 2011 Cruze buyers beware . I hope GM has corrected the cruze problems but I don't think that they are that concerned with the cruze problems and I say this after talking to GM rep.
Old January 30th, 2013, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Wink

Originally Posted by gggr
After nine times to GM dealer for many problems with 2011 cruze I had to get a car that we could depend on.Transmission problem was only one of my many issues with this piece of junk car and I would not recommend the cruze to anyone. The dealer that we bought car from wanted to keep ouir business so thay made us a really good deal on a year newer 2012 chev malibu and I bet that they take the car to auction and I pity anyone who buys it. Problems with load rattle in mirror, Trans torque convertor oil leak,water pump antifreeze leak,no brakes in reverse,fire issue recall, not being able to tow all four down, terrible burnt oil/antifreeze smell making driver and passingers sick and problem couln't be corrected in three trys by GM dealer. I don't have time to fight with GM with a lemon law suit because we need a car that we can depend on for many miles of interstate driving and we don't have any issues with 2012 chev malibu which is a bigger car. The malibu rides better and gets 30 mpg vs 35 with cruze but I think it will be dependable. 2011 Cruze buyers beware . I hope GM has corrected the cruze problems but I don't think that they are that concerned with the cruze problems and I say this after talking to GM rep.

Good luck with your new Malibu! Drive it in good health! As the GM people who "lurk" on FaceBook and in most of these blogs/forums are programmed to say-"I am sorry you are having a problem with your 2011 Cruze. If you PM me your information, I can look into this issue with your dealer" etc.! They have even LESS influence than the guy I spoke to in Corporate Headquarters!

I guess I can say that I am "LUCKY" to ONLY have the transmission issue! I really liked everything else about my Cruze EXCEPT the gas mileage! That was always low 20's if that! I LOVE the red tintcoat color and the RS features. The car is quiet and comfortable. I don't worry about the back seat because my Rhodesian Ridgeback is the only one back there! I knew that my transmission issue would NOT be fixed no matter WHO looked at it from GM because the female service advisor at my dealership had a 2011 Cruze with the transmission issue AND the antifreeze smell and GM couldn't fix her car, so what hope did I EVER have of getting mine fixed? She turned hers in, at a loss, and got a 2012 Cruze with NO problems! I went along with GM because I did not want them to say that I was uncooperative! There is NO fix for the transmission issues EXCEPT to BUYBACK the car!

I have one more year on my lease, but I have something in the works now to get rid of it before then and before I get killed when the car doesn't go when I step on the gas! Stay tuned!
Old January 31st, 2013, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default got rid of junk cruze

You should feel lucky that you only had transmission problems. I just wish that GM would own up to the issues with the 2011 cruze but don't hold your breath as this will never happen. What do you expect from a company that is shipping its focus to the CHINA market and leaving the USA constomers in the lurch. I'am a 50 year retired mechanic and could fix the lousy transmission problem but why would GM listen to someone with a simple fix to a widespead 2011 cruze transmission problem. The problem with our 2011 cruze started when we drove our cruze almost nonstop 3200 miles round trip to Florida at interstate speeds, When we got home the torque convertor seal on the trans was leaking and the water pump was leaking. The trans wasn't made to take the constant torque of a turbo charged engine. If GM would provide a design to give more cooling to the transmission oil I believe that some of the trans problems could be solved . I believe that some of the smell problems that customers are having is coming from an overheated transmission giving the cruze a burnt oil smell. It got so bad with our cruze that we had to park it outside to keep the smell from coming from garage into the house. We traded our cruze for a year newer malibu which we are happy with. We just drove the malibu 4000 interstate miles and no smell and 30 mpg . We would have keep the cruze but for all the problems and we didn't have the option for a well deserved lemon lawsuit because we needed a car that we could depend on.
Old February 12th, 2013, 7:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up Update!

Since the last time I posted, things have changed. I ended my lease on the 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS with the crappy shifting tranmission no thanks to GM!

I leased a 2013 Buick Verano Turbo! Car listed for $32,600 about $7,000 more than my fully loaded LTZ. My payments are only $10.00 more a month. I was very lucky that my selling dealer bought out the last year of my lease! What I see happening is GM has ended up putting pressure on the dealers to deal with the problem cars INSTEAD of GM buying them back! If GM buys them back, they have to be titled as a BUY BACK with sends out warning signals to any future purchaser. I would imagine it also affects resale value! The dealer wants to KEEP you as a customer, so they are doing whatever they can to get you out of your problem car and into something else!

The dealers CANNOT be held liable for not fixing our cars because they can only do what GM tells them to do as far as warranty work is concerned. My servicing dealer KNEW that he could not fix my car no matter what he did! As a matter of fact, the female service advisor at the dealer also had a 2011 Cruze with the transmission issue AND the antifreeze smell and they couldn't fix her car! She ended up getting out of her lease, at a significant loss, and leased a 2012 Cruze with no problems.

I feel sorry for those of you who bought your Cruze and now have to deal with any dollar loss trying to sell it or trade it in. All I can say is hang in there. A moderator in the cruzetalk.com site has some connection with GM and says that they are aware of the antifreeze smell and are working on a solution! The latest fix they have now, does NOT work. GM is aware of that too! This smell has been around with the 2011 Cruzes, the 2012's and now the 2013 Cruzes. Patience is a virtue!

My Verano pics can be seen here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fast...Verano%20Turbo

Last edited by fastdriver; June 18th, 2013 at 9:16 AM.
Old June 4th, 2013, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 2011 Chevy Cruze

I have a 2011 chevy cruze I bought it last January used with 15k miles on it. I have taken great care of my vehicle. I now have 40k miles on my car after a year and a half. Last weekend with no warning or anything my transmission went out. I didnt feel the Lag that everyone else has mentioned it didnt slip or anything I drove it to the store and when i got back in i had no reverse and it will only go in to second gear at about 2000 rmp. When I called the dealership the guy basically told me I need to bring it in right away, so obviously this a a very popular problem with this kind of vehicle. Needless to say I will never own another chevy again. This car is too new to already have so many problems.
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Miranda Campbell
I have a 2011 chevy cruze I bought it last January used with 15k miles on it. I have taken great care of my vehicle. I now have 40k miles on my car after a year and a half. Last weekend with no warning or anything my transmission went out. I didnt feel the Lag that everyone else has mentioned it didnt slip or anything I drove it to the store and when i got back in i had no reverse and it will only go in to second gear at about 2000 rmp. When I called the dealership the guy basically told me I need to bring it in right away, so obviously this a a very popular problem with this kind of vehicle. Needless to say I will never own another chevy again. This car is too new to already have so many problems.
Miranda Campbell,

I am sorry to hear about your transmission concerns. I would like to look into your concern a little further. Can you please private message me your VIN, current mileage, address, phone number, and the name of the GM dealership you are working with? Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevy Cruze Transmission Problems