Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Cruze losing power and smoking

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2016, 1:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruze losing power and smoking

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cru...1-cruze-57065/
Old April 4th, 2016, 1:53 AM
CF Beginner

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cru...1-cruze-57065/
Attn: Chevy Cruze owners. Watch video and see. Almost get rear-ended by semi-truck, when my 2013 Cruze loses power and smoke pukes out the exhaust. Many times the smoke has completely blocked visibility for drivers behind me. Any Cruze owners had this problem? Read the entire post and tell me what you think.
More Details.
In, January 2015, problem as described above, begins. PCV inside valve cover fails, replaced valve cover;
April 2015, PCV fails, replaced valve cover;
November, 2015, ignition coil fails, replaced ignition coil and spark plugs.
March 2, 2016, take car to dealer, they said it was cat converter and replaced it under warranty. Also they suggested I have injectors cleaned, (their cost $190.00).
March 28, 2016, Same problem, returned to dealer, dealer said nothing wrong, but, they noticed water pump leaking water, so they replaced water pump, (under warranty)Dealer told me it was probably white smoke I was seeing, due to water pump failing. Two days later, going up Cajon Pass, same problem, this time I took a video.
Returned to dealer, and dealer calls and tells me they found the problem. He said it was because I put a aftermarket coil and aftermarket spark plugs in vehicle. Dealer would replace with Chevy parts for only $580.).
WATCH VIDEO and tell me what you think, will aftermarket coil and spark plugs cause a car to lose power and start puffing out smoke like it is shown in video?
Old April 5th, 2016, 9:44 PM
CF Veteran

a failed waterpump wont cause smoke from the exhaust and its pretty unlikely that aftermarket plugs or coils would either. What are the codes the car has? Usually theres something causing the pcv diaphragm to fail and it doesn't sound like they ever found the root problem.
Old April 8th, 2016, 1:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by denise_crane
Hello denise_crane,

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Cruze. Have you made your servicing dealership aware? We'd be more than happy to contact them on your behalf and review your concerns further. We're available via private message and only need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership to move forward.

Thanks!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 14th, 2017, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

My 2015 chevy trac looses power and white smoke comes from tailpipe no lights on
Old October 24th, 2022, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Would like to see the video posted above but cant view it. I recently ran into the same problem with a 2011. No dash lights. Just had the head redone and cant seem to find the problem.