Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Is it a good idea to buy a chevy cruze?

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2012, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down cruze problems

I have a chevvy cruze, it has had 2 new brake sensors, some part fittes to stop the brakes mooing. fuel partical filter light has come on three times already, leading to me having to drive for miles to try and clear it.
It still doesnt run correctly, it runs fine for a day or two, then cuts out and shudders for no apparent reason. It has been in and out of the dealership for weeks. It has had a new egr valve new airflow meter new clutch switch, new starter motor just to name a few visits. All with no apparent effect, it goes back tomorrow to block off a valve apparently, makes no sense to me at all, why would the valve be there if it wernt needed. something to do with them remapping the ECU apparently in the future. Not a good car experience i am afraid.
The dealer is trying his best but does not know how to fix this car....
Old January 11th, 2012, 6:50 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

scooter1973,

I am sorry to hear of your frustration with your Cruze.

If you would like, I can investigate for any possible additional information, if you PM me your VIN number.

Has your dealer been able to fix any of the issues? What is the mileage on the vehicle?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mother in law bought a 2011 Cruze and loves it. Like someone else stated above you rarely hear someone coming in to praise their new vehicle. 99% of the time you only read when people have problems. So if you figure the amount of cars that have been sold and have had zero problems and the amount of bad reviews you are reading..which number is really bigger? The number of satisfied customers. I would buy the Cruze for my fiance. Its affordable and has everything she could ever want in a car. Heated leather, gps, all the bells and whistles. Everyone that has seen my mother in laws car loves it and she does alot of driving to work, hasnt had a single issue yet in the 6 months she has owned it. So for the person that needed a trans at 1800 miles, I am sorry but it seems its bound to happen to every automobile and every manufacturer once in a while.
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:57 AM
CF Junior Member

CRUZE should only be bought in the UK with a LARGE discount because the resale value is poor ,the car is not liked by the UK leading consumer magazine WHICH ? & Top Gear magazine etc., who only rate it 2 star. I expect the car to disappear from the UK exactly the same as happened with the Dodge Caliber which had far superior instrumentation compared to the amateurish one on the CRUZE. which has a uncomfortable ride on rough UK roads. I shall not be buying another CRUZE unless it is considerably improved, supposed to be a Global car but has different specs. best in US. worse in Europe.

Last edited by Disbeliever; April 26th, 2012 at 1:01 AM. Reason: omission
Old April 26th, 2012, 8:21 AM
CF Junior Member

The 2011 models here were crap-sounds like 2012 is better-great unless you bought a 2011! Hands down the worst car I've ever owned,nothing but problems...and I've owned it all of 8 months! Even worse is the fact that GM knows the problems exist-and does nothing.
Old April 27th, 2012, 3:44 AM
CF Junior Member

My 2010 CRUZE 2.0VCDi LT auto has had two recalls but only fixed at last service, faulty fuel lines and seat harness, fortunately I did not experience any problems but the UK DVLA & Chevrolet should have notified me of the recalls which they failed to do, could have been extremely dangerous. The worst aspect of the UK version is the bad ride on anything except very smooth roads however roadholding & auto transmission are excellent. I am waiting to see what improvements if any are coming on the 2013 models. In two years and 18K miles the yellow DPF warning light has only come on twice,soon goes out after a fast run on the motorway in 4th gear. I would like tyre pressure monitor, powered foldback door mirrors. LEd Day notice lights all missing from the CRUZE despite TPM & Day Notice becoming mandatory in EU after Nov. 2012. The instruments are a disgrace & unsafe can not be read in strong sunlight, or when going fast, the trip odometer should not be locked into the menu system so that it can not be utilised at the same time as the fuel consumption display.Unfortunately the UK media do not like the Cruze CAR magazine only giving it two stars out of five, resale value is poor, I feel the Cruze is very underated but Chevroletneed to do a better marketing job or the car will probably disappear like the Dodge Caliber which had far better instrumentation.

Last edited by Disbeliever; April 27th, 2012 at 4:00 AM. Reason: omission
Old April 28th, 2012, 1:31 PM
CF Junior Member

I've checked with a couple of non-GM dealers about trade-in value...all said less than 50 % of what I paid 8 months ago-7600 km on car. Told me the word was out that it's a "problem car"-all used same terms.Guess I'll drive the h#$% out of it for 3 years then give it away.This lemon is really the gift that keeps on giving!!!
Old April 29th, 2012, 4:12 AM
CF Junior Member

What do you expect a non-GM dealer to say especially re resale value ? You have obviously been unlucky, in two years I have not had to make any warranty claims ,I have owned 42 cars of various makes including BMW, VW, Volvo Saab, Toyota, Honda Ford Vauxhall.and experienced problems with all of them, I would not touch another BMW with a barge pole the most overated car on the market from a very arrogant manufacturer. My main gripe with the CRUZE is that the UK /Euro versions have a lower spec. than than the US one resulting on a poor ride with 17" wheels on UK roads and the failure of Chevrolet to provide mandatory features.

Last edited by Disbeliever; April 29th, 2012 at 4:22 AM. Reason: omission
Old April 30th, 2012, 8:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Oops-did I forget to mention that 2 GM dealers said the same thing?(Except saying problem car.)
Old May 1st, 2012, 3:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canuck
Oops-did I forget to mention that 2 GM dealers said the same thing?(Except saying problem car.)

My next car will not be a Cruze not because of any mechanical defects. I require a car that has a tyre pressure monitor, powered foldaway mirrors a space saver wheel.and a smooth ride. UK Cruze has none of these features. However this is not the only reason, Incredibly I have just found out that I have been underinsured for the past two years because Vauxhall Insurance calculated my premium incorrectly and some Insurance Companies including LV have never heard of the CRUZE Hatchback their Underwriters say the car went of production 2010. Absurd. However the correct premium on a 2 litre turbo diesel is far too high £1500 approx at my age so I shall now look at other cars, the new 2013 Kia Ceed I.6 diesel looks a possibility coming available July 1.

Quick Reply: Is it a good idea to buy a chevy cruze?