Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

my engine fan is running all the time

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2014, 12:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sonic LTZ 2013

Originally Posted by deanguy
I have a 2012 cruze and the engine light came on and I had check and it came to be coolant temp sensor but its not running hot .So I carried it to pep boys for a diagnostic and they could not find any thing wrong with it. The thing that bothers my wife is that the fan runs all the time and is louder than it was before the check engine light came on.Pep boys reset the computer and it was fine for 2 days then it started the same thing .check engine light and fan running all the time what could it be?
Hi deanguy, im experincing the exact same issue with my 2013 sonic, first check engine light came on, took it to dealership they said it was the thermostat been stuck open, they wouldnt fix it because i have 38400 miles on it,and the warranty expired 2400 miles ago,i had to pay 120 for diagnostic, took it back home, check engine light went out, but fan keeps kiking in, even tho i live in denver and the temperature is under 50 degrees, this is so mess up, did u find out what was the issue??? Very dessapointed of chevy small engines thinking of import next buy..

Last edited by jorgito13; November 27th, 2014 at 1:02 AM.
Old November 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default sonic LTZ

Im having the exact same issue and dealeship not willing to help, i just got 38000 miles and warranty not good any more, thats totally wrongQUOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;258530]Hello deanguy,

I am sorry for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing due to the engine light being illuminated. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation and help set up a dealership appointment for a vehicle diagnosis.
Please contact us via private message and include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care[/QUOTE]
Old November 29th, 2014, 8:14 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Good Morning Everyone !
I am new to this forum and have some mechanical knowledge and background.
This is the first forum where I have seen an authorized agency trying to offer help with Chev problems. It is great that this offer of assistance is available. Having been on both sides of the fence as a Chev owner and dealer tech I have some sympathy for Chev vehicle owners and the problems that the owners and the customer service reps have to deal with.
I just completed reading the series of posts involving the cooling fan problems.
Most dealerships are flexible when it comes to warranty repairs and some are not.
It is not unusual to need to consult with a more cooperative dealer service dept if satisfaction cannot be obtained from the present one.
There is ,however, a limit to just how much one can get done for free MANY miles past the warranty. Usually being reasonable will get more positive results. it works both ways. I am glad to see Chevrolet is at least acknowledging they need a customer service rep on this forum, It helps a lot.
Old December 1st, 2014, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

I'm thinking I might be in the same boat with many others. I have a 2011 Cruze Eco with 53k. This is the first thing I came across after doing a search for check engine, loud fan. My light came on Friday night and noticed my fan was running pretty loud on Thanksgiving, but eventually quieted down after driving. Noticed recently that my heat doesn't appear to be getting as hot as usual but e have also had some pretty cold weather lately, so I hadn't thought about it much. I'm going to run it in to Autozone later to see if I can't get a code and hope that can help point me in the right direction. I'd like to avoid any extra costs at the dealer if I take it to them if possible and hope it can be a simple fix. I just honestly don't know where I sit with any warranties on the vehicle and what I could be covered for. If it is a minor fix that a local guy can manage, I'll look into that, but if the dealer could get it done for nothing I'd obviously choose that route.
Old December 1st, 2014, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Doesnt make me happy

Sad to see this is such an apparent typical problem, and right about the time a warranty is over. My car is a 2012 Cruze, only owner and first new car ever bought and first Chevy. Had been fairly happy with it up till now. Yesterday the engine light came on and I could hear the fan running, which it hasnt done like this before. The temp gauge never went beyond the half way mark. I got the same code from AutoZone about a thermostat issue. Doesnt seem like a car barely 2 years old should have an issue like this, or one this "common." Was looking to trade in for a new model, but if this is what I can expect, Im not sure. I wont be happy to find out it isnt covered by whatever warranty I had or have left.
Old December 1st, 2014, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Cruze

I too am having this issue with my 2012 Cruze. I took it in for an oil change and when i got it back the check engine light was on, the fan was running constantly, and it smells of anti-freeze. I took it back and they said the code read P0547. Some kinda temperature sensor. They reset it and it stayed off for about 2 weeks. It is now back on for about 1 1/2 weeks and the fan is louder. I called the dealership and big surprise its not covered under warranty ( under 45K mileage). It is going to cost me 90.00 for diagnostic then approx. 300 for the part and that doesn't even include the service charge. I, like many others, bought this car to avoid having to put money into a new vehicle. If this isn't made right I am seriously considering trading it off after the first of the year.
Old December 1st, 2014, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Talking 2011 cruze code p0597

Same problem p0597 fan would run full speed "loud" check engine light would come on. Actual engine temp normal. Dealer ran diagnostic and replaced thermostat. No charge what-so-ever engine warranty covered it! I'm happy, Thanks James Corlew. 39588 miles when brought in. 100,000 engine warranty is honored by GM!
Old December 11th, 2014, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

I am also having the same problem with my 2012 cruze.
fan runs all the time an is loud...
I have 43,000 mile on it,dealer pretty much said tough luck..
There should be a recall for this problem, seem a lot of folks are having this problem..
Did anyone find out for sure what will fix this?

thanks, papaw
Old December 11th, 2014, 3:11 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by usspapaw
I am also having the same problem with my 2012 cruze.
fan runs all the time an is loud...
I have 43,000 mile on it,dealer pretty much said tough luck..
There should be a recall for this problem, seem a lot of folks are having this problem..
Did anyone find out for sure what will fix this?

thanks, papaw
Welcome to the forum...
From the above post, it looks like replacing the thermostat has resolved some of the issues...
Old December 15th, 2014, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Hello Fellow Chevy Owners,
obviously we are all here to find a solution to our Chevy issues. First let me tell you I am an avid Chevy enthusiast owning and racing many of them throughout the years. My weekend cars are and always will be Chevy brand, but due to the fact that I drive 90 miles a day back and forth to work I was not using the Chevy brand for daily commute. I was using Brand HDA. Because of the longevity of the warranty and gas mileage. Sold that car used with 267K miles for a 1/3 of what I paid for it new. Other than oil changes every 2000 miles and following the written maintenance had no major issues. Buy a new 2012 Chevy Cruze to go back to bowtie loyalty and within 12 months had three recalls, 6 months later two broken transmission lines (That I had to shell out $278 for not covered due to mileage) now another recall with the steering and now a check engine light, fan on high and a bad smell in the interior( Smells like burning Dex-Cool to me). I do have high miles 76k and understand what warranty means but everyone having the same problems is more than a consumable parts issue. Are there any TSB on this particuliar issue? How can a sensor or thermostat go at 76k miles when I still have the original brakes and tires? I have not been to the dealer yet as I am trying to gather all of the information possible as I feel Chevy should be responsible for all repairs regarding this issue. Sorry to harp but I have had nothing but issues with my Cruze since I purchased it and I am trying real hard to stay loyal again...

Quick Reply: my engine fan is running all the time