Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

my engine fan is running all the time

Old May 2nd, 2014, 4:37 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

welcome to the forum...
Are you still within your 3yr 36k mile warranty? if so it will likely cost you nothing if under warranty...
More often than not the diagnostic fee will be taken off your bill if you have to pay for repairs... the diagnostic fee is for if you have them tell you what is wrong but decide not to have it fixed at that time...
Old May 5th, 2014, 2:17 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace engine fan

Originally Posted by deanguy
I have a 2012 cruze and the engine light came on and I had check and it came to be coolant temp sensor but its not running hot .So I carried it to pep boys for a diagnostic and they could not find any thing wrong with it. The thing that bothers my wife is that the fan runs all the time and is louder than it was before the check engine light came on.Pep boys reset the computer and it was fine for 2 days then it started the same thing .check engine light and fan running all the time what could it be?
Hi
I have had the same issue with my 2012 Chevy Cruze. First it started to over heat, so they replaced the thermostat, then the same day I got it back within a few hours the same thing happened. So I brought it back to the dealer, now they say it's the engine fan and it's not covered under warranty. What kinda stuff is that!!!!!
Old May 5th, 2014, 6:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnson 36
Hi
I have had the same issue with my 2012 Chevy Cruze. First it started to over heat, so they replaced the thermostat, then the same day I got it back within a few hours the same thing happened. So I brought it back to the dealer, now they say it's the engine fan and it's not covered under warranty. What kinda stuff is that!!!!!
Are you past 3yr/36k?
Old May 6th, 2014, 5:29 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello Johnson,

I am sorry to hear you had this concern with your Cruze. If you would like for us to reach out to your Chevrolet dealership on your behalf, please let me know. You can private message me your name, VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealership name.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 9th, 2014, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bwalsh23
I am having a similar issue with my 2012 Cruze. Two days ago my fan came on and it will not go off, it keeps getting louder each and every day so I brought it to the dealership to get it checked. The engine light is on and I'm having to pay for the diagnostic and they're claiming that since I have 40,000+ miles I am out of my warranty so any repairs will be on me. This seriously rubs me the wrong way because I am just over 40,000 miles and if this is a chronic issue that is appearing on many Cruze vehicles then it should be a recall. This is my third Chevy vehicle that I've owned. I owned a Cavalier, a Cobalt and now my Cruze and this is outrageous! Why should the customers have to pay for a known software issue with the vehicle? I'm not doing anything wrong as for driving, I take care of my vehicle. It's something faulty in the vehicle and there's no reason the customer should have to pay for that! This unfortunately may be my last Chevy!

Update: I don't know if it was my call to customer service, me telling my story on the forum or the dealership itself but when it was all said and done somebody did the right thing. The dealership took care of the issue, I did get the same code as everyone with the open circuit, but they did in fact state I was covered under my warranty. I wasn't too happy coming into the dealership today but due to them doing the right thing, I was happy when I left. Thank you to everyone involved!
So what ended up being wrong your car, mine has been doing all this for awhile and no one can give me as answer about what it might be. There error code is showing something with the cruise control, but in my model I do not have cruise control.
Old May 11th, 2014, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Could u give me the customer service number you called please.

Originally Posted by bwalsh23
I am having a similar issue with my 2012 Cruze. Two days ago my fan came on and it will not go off, it keeps getting louder each and every day so I brought it to the dealership to get it checked. The engine light is on and I'm having to pay for the diagnostic and they're claiming that since I have 40,000+ miles I am out of my warranty so any repairs will be on me. This seriously rubs me the wrong way because I am just over 40,000 miles and if this is a chronic issue that is appearing on many Cruze vehicles then it should be a recall. This is my third Chevy vehicle that I've owned. I owned a Cavalier, a Cobalt and now my Cruze and this is outrageous! Why should the customers have to pay for a known software issue with the vehicle? I'm not doing anything wrong as for driving, I take care of my vehicle. It's something faulty in the vehicle and there's no reason the customer should have to pay for that! This unfortunately may be my last Chevy!

Update: I don't know if it was my call to customer service, me telling my story on the forum or the dealership itself but when it was all said and done somebody did the right thing. The dealership took care of the issue, I did get the same code as everyone with the open circuit, but they did in fact state I was covered under my warranty. I wasn't too happy coming into the dealership today but due to them doing the right thing, I was happy when I left. Thank you to everyone involved!
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by emilydiviak
So what ended up being wrong your car, mine has been doing all this for awhile and no one can give me as answer about what it might be. There error code is showing something with the cruise control, but in my model I do not have cruise control.

My issue turned out to be the Water Pump. It was fixed under Warranty.
Old May 11th, 2014, 2:14 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey lorri22879,

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns regarding your vehicle via private message or email at socialmedia@gm.com. We look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 21st, 2014, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem. My 2012 Cruze has 559 code and the electric cooling fan is running on high. Two months ago the dealership had my car for a day and said the problem with my air conditioner (under warranty) was due to low coolant level. They said my thermostat had a bad seal so they replaced it. Well low and behold two months later I have a know problem show up with my thermostat (now not under warranty). I called Lang Chevrolet (in Beavercreek, Oh) and they were quick to tell me that I was outside my warranty. So now not only does the thermostat not work, I now have the lovely smell of hot coolant in my cab. I am heading to Lang's to get the thermostat and install it my self. I figure worst case scenario is it doesn't fix it and then I'm no worse of than if I let the dealership work on it.

Scott Woodburn
(937) 829-6979
Old May 23rd, 2014, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine light on

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 cruze and I called the dealer today about it. They told me that because my car has 55k miles and is outside of the 36k miles that I need to pay the $120 diagnostic fee in order for them to look at it and then I'm responsible for the fee of the repair. As a person who just found a new job after being laid off last year, I don't exactly have the extra money to throw around at some dealer to try to figure out the problem. If this is such a common problem with the cruzes of this year, why hasn't a recall or alert been sent out by gm?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my engine fan is running all the time