Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Not happy with MY Cruz

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2012, 5:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been two recalls 1. Faulty fuel lines, 2. Seat belt harness, Just had first warranty claim left hand side defective ABS had to be replaced. I have no confidence in the longevity of the Cruze which is why I am changing it after only 20,000 miles over 2 & half years. They are having difficulty in selling them in the UK so very large discounts are offered causing poor resale values. Not sure what you mean : Sigh -we should have seen the light when the Cruze did'nt have cruise! My version does have cruise control.

Last edited by Disbeliever; August 4th, 2012 at 5:13 AM. Reason: ommission
Old August 4th, 2012, 9:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Couldn't get one with cruise-not standard. 2 new recalls on mine-some welding "may have been omitted" resulting in fuel tank hitting hot exhaust= a fire in a crash & one to cut out plastic on bottom to prevent fires if oil or fluids are spilled(pretty sure I hit that with first oil change.) There were recalls on 2011s-steering wheel coming off! Used to a few recalls,but these seem due to sloppy workmanship-so much for "North American " made.Trade in value 50% (year old,9000 km on it) because it's a "problem car". Reminds me of my Chevy Vega!
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

I personally am unaware of the faulty fuel line, and seat belt recall for the Cruze. I'm in the US though, so this may just be a UK issue.

However, their is a recall to modify the under belly plastic pan. This is because some customers that may do their own oil changes, or bring their vehicle to service stations other then their Chevy dealership, may spill some oil when removing the cartrage style oil filter. This oil may pool on the pan, and could cause a fire, in ideal conditions. This is nothing more then removing some material, and cutting the plastic pan.

The possibility of missing welds on the fuel tank strap brackets. The Cruze PASSED ALL FEDERAL TESTS in this area, pertaining to the fuel tank being secure in a crash. However, GM has their own strict internal tests, that they were not happy with the results. THAT is why there has been a recall issued to inspect the welds to see if some have been ommited.

People are starting to believe that this vehicle is completely unsafe. That is not the case at all. If you bring your Cruze to your Chevy dealership for regular oil changes, then the possibility of your vehicle catching on fire due to the oil spill are slim to none. I personally, take pride in my job as a GM tech, and I hate seeing people bad mouthing the Cruze. Don't forget, this was a new vehicle built on a new chassis. It was bound to have some issues.

Last edited by Andy Talenda; August 5th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

We bought a new Cruze July 12. We love it so far , especially the gas mileage.
Old August 6th, 2012, 9:21 AM
CF Junior Member

FYI- had oil change at GM dealership-oil spilled,lots of smoke-still wonder if there was a fire(when I went back,no one bothered looking.)One expects a few issues...even though the car was tested for"millions of miles",but most of them seem to be due to shoddy work.So far have had more problems in a year than with any other car I've owned-not impressed.No wonder GM's sales are dropping.
Old August 7th, 2012, 3:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canuck
FYI- had oil change at GM dealership-oil spilled,lots of smoke-still wonder if there was a fire(when I went back,no one bothered looking.)One expects a few issues...even though the car was tested for"millions of miles",but most of them seem to be due to shoddy work.So far have had more problems in a year than with any other car I've owned-not impressed.No wonder GM's sales are dropping.

Anyone would think that GM had just started making cars, they are so concerned at ripping off the customer , they neglect some obvious safety issues. I am suprised that I am the only one complaining about not being able to read the speedo when going fast or when wearing sunglasses. I shall be glad to get rid of mine in September. UK version is very poor quality as it is really a Daewoo Lacetti, with cheap suspension gives very rough ride on not perfect roads. No Watts Z link in UK .poor resale values as predicted by WHICH ? our leading consumer magazine.

Last edited by Disbeliever; August 7th, 2012 at 3:46 AM. Reason: omission
Old August 7th, 2012, 3:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Anyone would think that GM had just started making cars, they are so concerned at ripping off the customer , they neglect some obvious safety issues. I am suprised that I am the only one complaining about not being able to read the speedo when going fast or when wearing sunglasses. I shall be glad to get rid of mine in September. UK version is very poor quality as it is really a Daewoo Lacetti, This was supposed to be a Global car but far too many different specs for different markets. Shall not be suprised to see the CRUZE disappear from UK market like the Dodge Caliber, they can not sell them and are offering huge discounts. Only gets two/3 star rating here. with poor resale values as predicted by WHICH ? our leading consumer magazine.
Old August 7th, 2012, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

This sounds like more of an issue with poor quality work at your local Chevy dealership. I would attempt to address this with the service manager.
Old August 8th, 2012, 1:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Andy Talenda
This sounds like more of an issue with poor quality work at your local Chevy dealership. I would attempt to address this with the service manager.

Nothing wrong with the Dealership just the poor quality poor spec. UK model. Goodbye CRUZE Hello KIA CEED 7 year warranty etc.
Old August 8th, 2012, 9:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Actually-the service manager is a big part of the problem-one of the odd things my car did was shoot oil everywhere under the hood.Made 3 trips in on one day-oil was seen by 3 employees.To shut me up,he added a dye to the oil which is apparently visible with black light..never asked me to come back! He did disappear for 15 minutes or so with oil cap "to get more dye." Problem(???) fixed after this.Transmission terrible-mentioned forum to him,that others were having same problems.His answer "I never read those-bunch of ignorant whiners." Had recall work done yesterday-they cut entire shield away from under car. I had asked to have spark plugs gapped-when I picked car up I asked about it "wasn't done-not called for." Only GM in city-and forget getting anything done in next city-I tried,got told if I bought it at Murray Gm take it back there,they were tired of fixing their messes. Toyota sounds better & better.

Quick Reply: Not happy with MY Cruz