Rear differential questions

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2017, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear differential questions

I have a 1994 Chevy 2500. Not HD, but it does have a full floating rear axle.

About a month ago, a "mechanic" worked on my rear brakes. A full floater has oil fed bearings obviously. However, the idiot packed my inner taperwd bearing directly behind the wheel seal, with Red and Tacky grease. I hate Red and Tacky as it is, but to find out (mind you only a couple days ago) that the idiot packed my OIL FED bearing with grease, especially a CHEAP grease, really p*ssed me off. I've always been told never mix grease and oil. Especially in a differential. Being as this is my first vehicle with a full floater, i am a bit concerned about what kind of damage this may cause. Am i going to need new bearings, or will the oil break the grease down enough to feed my outside bearings that may now be starved for oil? And if it does break it down, will i need to flush my differential before it clogs up and breaks something else? I have been driving this truck for a month and haven't noticed anything detrimental, but i'm not sure i would if something is failing in the diff. I literally just found out he packed them about 3 days ago and have been scouring the internet and local mechanic shops for any information they will give me. Any advice on what i need to keep an eye out for/what i need to do to protect my truck, i am all ears. I am fully ready to flush my entire diff if need be. I love my truck and i will not let this idiot ruin it.