Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

400 sbc build

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 sbc build

I've got a 400 sbc in on a trade, the short block was complete with dome pistons (-0.20 dome) and I got a set of RHS Aluminum heads 235cc runners 64 cc chambers 2.08/1.60 valves. I'm trying to get this motor together this weekend. The problem I'm running inot is with the 1.55 springs on the heads the roller rockers won't fit, and the intake the guy gave me with the motor won't work with the large runners on the heads. I've got a friend that is willing to trade me a set of world products heads 200cc runners 58cc chambers 2.05/1.60 valve with a set of crane gold roller rockers and an edelbrock yorker 2 intake for my heads with no rocker arms. This would allow me to get the motor together this weekend like I want, but is it a fair deal? The motor is going in a boat, he also said that the large 235cc runners on the motor I have wold probably hurt the low end for a boat. Is this correct? Or should I wait and spend the extra money to get the correct parts to work with what I have? And would there be a large difference in horsepower between one head or the other?

Here are my cam specs if it helps
.258/.263 @ .50 .547/.555 lift 106 lbs

Last edited by Stevenstout; September 23rd, 2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question