Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

455 Swap

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 455 Swap

Hi, new here, just joined, great site!!
I have a 77 Silverado that I redid last winter (bottom to top) I put a beefed up 305 with T350 in it. I had the good fortune (I hope) of a 455 Olds given to me with a T400 attached to it, has approx 70,000 miles on it and seems to be real clean, My questions are these: I have been told to pick up a set of mounts off of a 1979 5.7l Deisel and the 455 should drop right in, I looked last night and I think on the 455 I am going to have to move the mounts forward on the block?, The other concern I have is the drive shaft, I have the 400 slip coupler and hopefully I can use the shaft that is on the truck now and have it redone, or is there a better way to go? Also if anyone has done this swap, I would be really interested in having a chat!
Any help would be awesome!!!!

Thanks
Al
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Gary, Im really looking forward to getting this done! A lil history on this old 77, First new pickup I ever bought, Drove it for quite a few years and did a few things to it back in the day, diamond tuck interior (so 90s lol), headers, dual exhaust, tires and the like, little things as I was a kid on a budget, I do remember having a few beers one winter and drove it through 2 chainlink fences and into a public swimming pool, my dad was some upset with me lemme tell ya, anywho sold it, and it kinda hung around the area for 20 some years, my daughter ended up buying it as it was "dads" old truck, and she showed up 2 yrs ago with it at my place, so I bought it off her, It was pretty much a wreck and I wasnt sure what I was going to do with it, and now well here we are, Im gonna try and post a couple of pics,
Cheers
Al
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default pics

Put up a few pics, not a fantastic job, but had a lot of fun doing it.
Al