Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Can you help me identify this engine??

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2016, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help me identify this engine??

This engine is in a 1966 Chevy C60 (2 or 2.5 ton truck)I have an C60 1966. The VIN is HC6836Z166177. I was told the engine is blown. Not sure exactly what that means and I want to understand what engine is in it and what is wrong with it.

What engine is in it? – It is a V8, It has a high intake and a Holly on it. I am guessing it is a 327 or the smaller V8 283 or a 348??. How can I tell? Is there a stamping on the block that I can actually see that would decode it? Or is there a visual queue between the 2 V8. I think the 409 has different valve covers – pretty sure it is not a 409.
I did jump it and the motor turns, it is holding water, and the oil is there and clean. A little gas down the carb did not start it. I think I can improve the battery connections and get a faster and more cranking out of it - that might help - i am not sure what is wrong with it.

Any help identifying what this is would be very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Can you help me identify this engine??-engine-2.jpg   Can you help me identify this engine??-engine-3.jpg   Can you help me identify this engine??-engine-5.jpg   Can you help me identify this engine??-engine-6.jpg   Can you help me identify this engine??-engine-7.jpg  

Attached Images   
Old August 21st, 2016, 9:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Looks like a big block to me, is there a cowl tag on the firewall? You might look on the heads for a letter, i.e. G, J ect.
Old August 21st, 2016, 3:26 PM
CF Monarch

The block should have numbers on it, that would indicate the size of the engine, my guess if it's original could be a 409, cowl tag (if it has one might say what it was born with). Yours has a 13 digit vin, not easy to deduce, about all I get from it is it was built in Hawthorne Ca.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

There is a tag on the inside left kick panel area with transmission, tire and gross weight info. Nothing on the firewall. On the intake it says Q-Jet and the firing order 1843572

Surely there are casting numbers, but they are under the dirt and I have not found them yet. The carb is a Holley

Is this a 396?

I did charge up a battery and it turns pretty easily, no spark. I think I can connect the coil directly to the battery and see if that will do the trick

Still looking at it
Old August 23rd, 2016, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Big block truck engine

Big block truck engine this truck new from the factory came with a 366 big block engine I used to own one as long as nobody has changed the engine that's what still in there
Old August 23rd, 2016, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Mine had a governor underneath the carburetor
Old August 26th, 2016, 3:20 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Frank Murch
There is a tag on the inside left kick panel area with transmission, tire and gross weight info. Nothing on the firewall. On the intake it says Q-Jet and the firing order 1843572

Surely there are casting numbers, but they are under the dirt and I have not found them yet. The carb is a Holley

Is this a 396?

I did charge up a battery and it turns pretty easily, no spark. I think I can connect the coil directly to the battery and see if that will do the trick

Still looking at it
There will be numbers on it, you just have to keep looking. My suggestion with no spark, replace the ignition coil, look at the points. Gap should be around .015-.018. Also inspect the rotor.I'd also suggest pull the cap, and with a drop light set the cap over the light, make sure you don't see any light. That would mean the cap is cracked.
Old February 24th, 2017, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

366 big block truck motor, 348,409 had "W" valve covers -heads..