Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Hi Im new

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2016, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Im new

Hi I'm new I seem to have a odd issue with my truck I have a 1982 C-10 truck with a 4.1 L-6 engine with a one pice integrated cylinder head I had just did a ring job and replace the valve seals. the engine seems to be doing fine till it seems to idle up/faster then it startes emitting white smoke out the tale pipe as if the engine is idling up but I have the choke unhooked, and when I have a look at the water the water is still full. very odd has any one seen this before?
Old October 2nd, 2016, 7:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like it is burning oil. Something could have happened to one of the valve seals causing this. Are you driving it and does the oil level go down while driving?
Old October 2nd, 2016, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

the piston rings wear replace 3 weeks ago. I had just changed the up'er valve oil seals yesterday because of the cloud of smoke, there was little to no smoke coming out the exhaust burning off residue I thought. At a point it idled up and just started to blow a steady white cloud of smoke. I haven't really driven it yesterday but the idling up while the vehicle is stop'ed and running in gear or in park that was happening already. before yesterday it was burning a 5 quart jug of oil a week, as I drive it I will find out about the new oil consumption or if it has stop'ed???

Last edited by Bill_The_Army_Meconic; October 2nd, 2016 at 8:41 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Sounds like it is burning oil. Something could have happened to one of the valve seals causing this. Are you driving it and does the oil level go down while driving?
I had let my mother drive my truck when she ran it out of oil and water when there was less then 5,000 miles on the motor after it was rebuilt, I'm just going to assume she craked the head and call it a day. thers no real reson that it is still smoking after the new rings and seals. Shrug shoulders all well...