Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

My First Rebuild - SBC 350

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Rebuild - SBC 350

Hey all, I currently working on my first rebuild of a 350, the goal is to get good hp and torque for a vehicle that will mainly be on the street, I want to make this build as cheap as possible. Seeing as how this is my first rebuild I have a bunch of questions I was hoping that I could get centralized and answered to make sure that I'm covering all my bases.

What I'm working with, picked up a sbc 350 for 50 dollars, was told it had compression issues but no oil was leaking, pulled the heads and intake manifold off.
Block casting # 10243880 Date K205
Head casting # 14102193

From what I've read this appears to be an early Vortec block built in November of 95. The engine had a TBI setup on it and the head casting number shows that, Ive read that these heads are pos for performance so I will be likely replacing the heads and intake manifold with vortec stuff. (Early vortec motors apparently came with non vortec TBI heads, lucky me.)

I also want to replace the camshaft with something more aggressive, Im looking to reach at least 350hp

Now my question is, should i shell out 340 for some vortec heads on summit, or should i pick them up from a salvage for roughly 200, and if I do get them used what should I have to worry about, do used heads always need rebuilt? If so maybe a link on how to do that or if machine shops do it cheap about how much would that be. Also, will I need to get any machining done or make any changes to the heads regardless of used or new.

If the pistons and rods are in good shape I would like to reuse them to try and save on costs, thoughts on this?

Finally, what parts do i need to replace, down to the small stuff, oil pump, type of carburetor i should use, water pump etc and maybe some links to some good replacement parts that are cheap, also rollet vs tappet cam thoughts and what gasket kit do I need to use? NAPA has a bunch of different ones for a large range of different prices based on what the engine came out of but sinces sbc's are so alike shouldn't gaskets be interchangeable?

If anyone would help me with my first rebuild I would be very grateful, and before anyone tells me to use the search etc.. etc... I have searched quite a few website, read quite a bit and have picked up a book on how to rebuild sbc's, the purpose of this thread is to try and centralize everything and make sure that I have rounded all my bases. Thanks in advance and if anyone wants to live vicariously through my rebuild you're more than welcome too, I can post pics as requested as well.

TL;DR: Looking to get at least 350hp from rebuild, suggestions.
Old July 30th, 2011, 9:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Vortec heads are a good choice! Trust me stay away from Patriot Performance heads!! I recently had a ton of issues with their heads!!

Roller cam is better than tappet but it will be much more money. The cam is more and the roller lifters are much more. You may also need new pushrods or atleast have to get the pushrod length checker to verify.

Sounds like your going to have to have the block checked and machined, may need to go .030 up on the pistons. This may not be as cheap as you would like. What's your budget?

Do you have a one piece or two piece rear main seal?
so you need:
Main bearings
cam bearings
rod bearings
rods checked/resized
crank checked/polished
oil pump and pickup
new freeze plugs
piston rings (maybe pistons if the block needs to be bored)
water pump
Complete gasket set.

heads need to be checked for straightness and cracks
recommend valve springs that match whatever cam you pick
cam
lifters
may need pushrods?
reuse rockers?
if using vortec heads you may want to have them machined for screw in rocker studs also you can not get too big of a cam without modifying the the head and springs.

Originally Posted by Damocles222
Hey all, I currently working on my first rebuild of a 350, the goal is to get good hp and torque for a vehicle that will mainly be on the street, I want to make this build as cheap as possible. Seeing as how this is my first rebuild I have a bunch of questions I was hoping that I could get centralized and answered to make sure that I'm covering all my bases.

What I'm working with, picked up a sbc 350 for 50 dollars, was told it had compression issues but no oil was leaking, pulled the heads and intake manifold off.
Block casting # 10243880 Date K205
Head casting # 14102193

From what I've read this appears to be an early Vortec block built in November of 95. The engine had a TBI setup on it and the head casting number shows that, Ive read that these heads are pos for performance so I will be likely replacing the heads and intake manifold with vortec stuff. (Early vortec motors apparently came with non vortec TBI heads, lucky me.)

I also want to replace the camshaft with something more aggressive, Im looking to reach at least 350hp

Now my question is, should i shell out 340 for some vortec heads on summit, or should i pick them up from a salvage for roughly 200, and if I do get them used what should I have to worry about, do used heads always need rebuilt? If so maybe a link on how to do that or if machine shops do it cheap about how much would that be. Also, will I need to get any machining done or make any changes to the heads regardless of used or new.

If the pistons and rods are in good shape I would like to reuse them to try and save on costs, thoughts on this?

Finally, what parts do i need to replace, down to the small stuff, oil pump, type of carburetor i should use, water pump etc and maybe some links to some good replacement parts that are cheap, also rollet vs tappet cam thoughts and what gasket kit do I need to use? NAPA has a bunch of different ones for a large range of different prices based on what the engine came out of but sinces sbc's are so alike shouldn't gaskets be interchangeable?

If anyone would help me with my first rebuild I would be very grateful, and before anyone tells me to use the search etc.. etc... I have searched quite a few website, read quite a bit and have picked up a book on how to rebuild sbc's, the purpose of this thread is to try and centralize everything and make sure that I have rounded all my bases. Thanks in advance and if anyone wants to live vicariously through my rebuild you're more than welcome too, I can post pics as requested as well.

TL;DR: Looking to get at least 350hp from rebuild, suggestions.
Old August 7th, 2011, 7:47 AM
Rez
CF Junior Member

Watch this video series - will help you a lot if this is your first rebuild.

‪Engine rebuild part 1‬‏ - YouTube
Old February 1st, 2012, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 283 in my project 1960 C-10 pickup. It currently has headers on it. Rusted headers. I want to go back to the original stock exhaust manifolds. I have access to a pair off of a 1990 GMC 1500 small block.

My question:

Will the exhaust manifolds from the 1990 GMC 1500 small block fit my 283 (V01181CP) Serial #CF7145068

Thanks in advance
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes they will bolt up but you wil need to run new pipes to them obviously, but they will bolt up
Old February 4th, 2012, 5:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default Exhaust manifolds interchangeable 1990 to 1960 V8

Thanks for the response. I found a 1990 GMC 1500 with a blown small block V8 and am getting the aftermarket dual exhaust that was recently installed. All of the pipe is about a year old. I wanted the exhaust manifolds also since I want to go back to stock exhaust on my 1960s 283 V8.

I will buy the exhaust manifolds also. They are in good shape, and I can get to all of the bolts since the front clip is gone.
Old October 14th, 2013, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

350hp is easily achieved with vortecs bud. Go to a junkyard and ****** some vortecs cast number 906 or 062, order a steal shim head gasket, and cam kit that you like the sound of and can use with stock converter, take heads to a machinist with the cam you have, let him play with the spring rate and lift, he will cut your valve seats so they seal properly, replace valve seals, make sure the head surface is flat, and clean casting flash. Try to stay under 230 duration, don't quote me but I believe after that you need a stall because of stock gm trannies.
Old October 17th, 2013, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Old September 30th, 2014, 3:37 AM
CF Beginner

Smile Chevy G20 van 1982

The above has a six cylinder petrol engine and we have to replace one.
How Is the con rod removed and replaced? the gudgeon pin even on the new one is very tight.