Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Need advices to get high HP out of a 350

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2009, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advices to get high HP out of a 350

Hey guys! I just dropped a newly rebuilt 350 in my chevy pick up. Now I have my old 350 2 bolt main block in my garage. Could anybody tell me what combination of carb, intake, exhaust, cam and heads I should put to get around 400hp. That engine is gonna be a project and I'm gonna use it in my c/k 1500 to do some mud competition. It's gonna be a long term project so even if the parts aren't the cheapest ones it's not a big big deal. Thx a lot!
Old October 15th, 2009, 4:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Fender_102,

Welcome to the Chevy forums.

A Thread Search at this site while you're waiting for some more replies should turn up a couple of interesting combos.

I recall a thread about a 383 setup that sounded a lot like what you are looking for from a couple months ago.

350s are great to rebuild, because there's just so much different hi-perf stuff available in the aftermarket.

Last edited by therewolf; October 15th, 2009 at 4:36 PM.
Old October 15th, 2009, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thx rivereye,

I will sure look for that other thread while I get more answers on mine. I'm new to this so I appreciate your help.

Thx again.

Last edited by fender_102; October 15th, 2009 at 5:31 PM.
Old October 15th, 2009, 5:36 PM
CF Junior Member

hey edelbrock make top end kits for 435hp for a 350 and if u stroke it to 383 they have a 460hp kit...
Old October 16th, 2009, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Thx a lot guys that info makes a lot of sens. I'm gonna figure out what I'm gonna need for my application and then I'll get back to you guys. For sure the truck will be used mostly for trail and mud ridding. And maybe a little showin off in the city... Hehe. So thx again and you'll hear from me soon.
Old April 15th, 2010, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

First you need to decide exactly what the use of this engine will be? Daily driver, street car/truck, etc....
Second you need to know how much you are willing to spend.
Third how heavy is the vehicle, is it an automatic, and what is the axle ratio?
With this information I can definitly give you some tips..
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful if you build a 383 stroker using only a 2 bolt main. If you give it too much power you might not like the results >.<. I wouldn't stroke it out, I would just get the crank turned and then put a bigger cam in it. Bore it out .030 over. More displacement=more hp. A simple performer series intake and carb with bigger heads will give you plenty of power out of a 350 without stressing your mains too much. check to see what the heads are on the motor. If they are nice heads just get them cleaned up. if not get a set of 1.94's or 2.02's if you can find them.
Old June 29th, 2010, 1:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpunMufflerBearings
More displacement=more hp.

uh, not always. trust me. 20+ years building engines. with todays tech and parts, hp is easy to get without upping displacement. in fact, i've seen larger displacement lose power.

as for two bolt vs 4 bolt, if the block, crank are prepped the right way, 2 bolt will hold and perform just as well. most of the 383's i've done, as well as others, use 2 bolt mains. 4 bolt is stronger, but again, with todays tech and parts, 2 bolt is right there with 4.
Old June 30th, 2010, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Alright guys thx a lot for the info! The block is actually still sitting in the old garage! I'm in the process of building a new one.... A bit bigger! Once that's done, I'll have more room to work so there will be a good corner of the garage reserved for that project! While I do that, the other 350 that I dropped in the truck is still holdin pretty good! Thx again!
Old July 1st, 2010, 1:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by maxxman04
uh, not always. trust me. 20+ years building engines. with todays tech and parts, hp is easy to get without upping displacement. in fact, i've seen larger displacement lose power.

as for two bolt vs 4 bolt, if the block, crank are prepped the right way, 2 bolt will hold and perform just as well. most of the 383's i've done, as well as others, use 2 bolt mains. 4 bolt is stronger, but again, with todays tech and parts, 2 bolt is right there with 4.

Sorry Sir,but I respectfully disagree with you.Larger C.U. engines will and do produce more output.They accept larger cams easier,have a greater torque output and following the formula for intake runners which is .5 x c.i. needs and accepts larger intake runners that product a greater output.It's the way physics work.It is very much easier for a 383 to get near 400hp over a 350 and still have good idle manors.

Quick Reply: Need advices to get high HP out of a 350