Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

New Engine smoking

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2016, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine smoking

Fairly new build,1st time it was built it started smoking at about 2k miles..Took it back to builder and made him redo it,he found nothing wrong and blamed me,said I didn't install intake gasket right.He done it,again it made it about 1500 miles and is smoking again,it doesn't smoke when ya start it,it starts after it runs a minute..It does it after ya Rev it,it is gray smoke (oil)..He actually siliconed around the ports with gray rtv..It is a 355 vortec with new aftermarket ITM brand heads.Comp xr270hr cam with 1.6 rockers.I did a leak down test and all was good,only 8% leakage..Again,he went through everything already once and found nothing..Also installed new seals..Any suggestions?
Old February 26th, 2016, 4:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Oil smoke is blue. I doubt it with 8% loss but have you noticed any coolant loss? Read all of the plugs?
Old February 27th, 2016, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

No coolant loss,uses oil..Plugs are clean on tips but oil is around the threads,and my valve covers are not leaking anywhere .I'm changing to 1.5 roller rockers this week,while I'm doing that I'm gonna check the studs for leakage on intake ports.