Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

removal of oil dipstick tube

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2013, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removal of oil dipstick tube

Hello all, I'm working on an old engine that came out of a 1963 impala and the oil dipstick tube rusted in two and broke off flush with the block it is a 327. I know this is a forum for helping others and I hope to get the help that I need here so that I can put this engine and trans. into an old truck without having to do a bunch of mods. this is the only engine that I won't get rid of due to the fact that I grew up with this engine and trans. going from MO. to Georgia every year when my father went on vacation to visit family. Now that he's gone with God I got the car that we drove then and this is the only chevy power train that I'll ever keep. I love the old school stuff because you don't need a lot of tech knowledge to work on them and you don't have to worry about smog control where I live. Now back to the topic if any one will help I thank you very much. May God bless us all and have a great day.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Default broken tube

wow you got a good one .the only way i can think of is to drop the oil pan and tap it out from the bottom ,put a bolt in the remainder of the tube ,grab it with vise grip's and gently twist it loose .
Old July 7th, 2013, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Old Dog is correct, make sure you don't flare the tube when you are tapping it out.
Old July 8th, 2013, 5:23 PM
CF Veteran

Default tube

yeah like grindman saiddont flare it out , put a 3/8 bolt in it to drive against ,it should give you enough topside to grab on to it .
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Well i think you've got an excellent one. The only way i can think of this is to fall the oil pan and tap it out from the end, put a securer in the rest of the pipe, grab it with vise grip's and carefully grip it and try to give a bit of a reduce.
Old July 9th, 2013, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

That's good advise from y'all at least now I don't have to drill it out because if that's what I had to do I would probably send it to a machine shop and have them do it. thanks again for the help. I'm gonna keep this power train as close to original as I can.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Oh the sweet smell of success I dropped the pan put a bolt in the tube without flaring it out and used a long 1/4" extension to tap it out from the bottom and got it out and then installed the new one without having to do any mods