Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2016, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting problems

Hello Everyone,
My 96 chevy malibu keeps stalling and I'm not sure why everything seems fine.
When I pull it out of my garage it drives fine but when the car warms up and I bring the car to a stop, I then accelerate but it stalls, it shifts hard into gear. The transmission fluid and the fliter has been changed. I've took it to a mechanic to see if it had any codes but nothing has come up.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Old December 13th, 2016, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have the problem and if so does your malibu have the same engine as the 96 caprice with the cam driven distributor behind the water pump. If so you might want to have a look at the distributor cap. I was running an LAPD repair shop when they had a ton of 96 caprices. We had more than one of those things that would run fine stone cold but as soon as they warmed up a little bit and went into closed loop they would start randomly misfiring and running like s... The first time we encountered it we literally spent days figuring it out but after the first one we knew instantly what was wrong the next time. If the engine is running bad and you need to give it more throttle to go the same speed it will cause the trans to shift hard.