Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Small block 350 build for airplane, general advice?

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2016, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small block 350 build for airplane, general advice?

Hi all, any general advice would be greatly appreciated. I know a little about engines, but obviously I am not attempting this on my own if I have these questions. I am just kind of getting ideas on viability and capabilities. I am not opposed to other suggestions, larger displacements, big block, or potentially diesel.

some general goals in no particular order:

1) Reliability...for aircraft use. Simplicity.
2) max usable RPMs ~2600 - 2800
3) HP goal 300 - 350
4) pump gas
5) forced induction. For reliability, I was hoping for low pressure system. This is mostly to help compensate for altitude use and low RPM power goals. I was leaning towards some type of low profile supercharger. Turbo could be done...but I was thinking that a supercharger could be less complex and more reliable?

Those are the main points. Mainly, could I get a custom engine that maximized reliable power at ~ 2700 RPM? could custom ground cams improve this low RPM goal over some of the Dyno charts I google online?

Cost? Let's say cost is not a worry...I mean it is Hoping to stay within the $20-30k range and basically wanted some of the best options and built from ground up to be reliable, lightweight, pump gas, and low RPM.

Are my goals largely obtainable? How about from a diesel perspective? My initial impression of the diesel is that it would weigh a couple hundred more pounds and be more complex? diesel less reliable in my situation do you think?

I basically need a large displacement with mild forced induction to make up for low RPMs.

Thanks for any opinions and advice!!
Old September 5th, 2016, 1:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Small block 350 build for airplane, general advice?
Don't.
Old September 5th, 2016, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, thanks. In one contracted word, you probably gave the best advice!
Old September 5th, 2016, 5:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

1. You're not a certified overhaul shop
2. You're not a certified overhaul shop
3.You're not a certified overhaul shop
Those are 3 good reasons