Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Noisy lifters or Fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2011, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy lifters or Fuel injectors

I got an 08' and it seems that the engine" ticks" loudly at idling. I didn't know if this is loud injectors and is normal or a lifter issue that I have. Has anyone else have/had noise? thanks
Old February 11th, 2011, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i have that too same year v-6 3.6L .. i dont know what it is but i replace the wires and plugs and it reduce the noise. but i still hear it... i going to start doing surgery on the truck next month i will let you know what happens.... I am going to replace the lifters first..
Old February 12th, 2011, 7:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by josh08equinox
I got an 08' and it seems that the engine" ticks" loudly at idling. I didn't know if this is loud injectors and is normal or a lifter issue that I have. Has anyone else have/had noise? thanks
Our 2007 Equinox ticks too, but it's not loud enough for me to worry about.

There is actually a TSB (# 08-06-01-022 - posted below) that addresses the consumers' complaints of a loud ticking noise on 2006-2008 Equinox & Torrent. According to the TSB, the ticking sound is either made by excessive exhaust valve stem to guide clearance (which obviously requires repair) or by normal operation of the fuel injectors.

TSB_08-06-01-022.pdf

Originally Posted by fernandocaballero27
yea i have that too same year v-6 3.6L .. i dont know what it is but i replace the wires and plugs and it reduce the noise. but i still hear it... i going to start doing surgery on the truck next month i will let you know what happens.... I am going to replace the lifters first..
It sounds like you have the 3400 and not the DOHC 3.6L. The 3.6L uses a coil-on-plug ignition system. In this design each cylinder has its own ignition coil that connects directly to the spark plug. It does not use plug wires. Look at the TSB, you may find it useful since it lays out a procedure to test the noise with the exhaust valve stems & guides.