Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

07 Equinox--gear indicator showing "I" when gear shift in "D"

Old February 8th, 2017, 3:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Equinox--gear indicator showing "I" when gear shift in "D"

I'm planning to buy a 2007 Chevy Equinox with 96,000 miles on it from a trusted family friend who is a mechanic who has rebuilt cars for a living for decades. He has replaced the engine with one that has 81,000 miles on it. The car drives well and gears shift smoothly from what I can tell, but when I drove it, I noticed the gear indicator on the dash lights up "I" when the gear shift is in "D". He hadn't noticed the issue and says it's most likely electrical. Has anyone had this issue before? Is this most likely a simple electrical fix, or could it be a deeper transmission issue of some sort?
Old February 8th, 2017, 7:05 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ydissac85
I'm planning to buy a 2007 Chevy Equinox with 96,000 miles on it from a trusted family friend who is a mechanic who has rebuilt cars for a living for decades. He has replaced the engine with one that has 81,000 miles on it. The car drives well and gears shift smoothly from what I can tell, but when I drove it, I noticed the gear indicator on the dash lights up "I" when the gear shift is in "D". He hadn't noticed the issue and says it's most likely electrical. Has anyone had this issue before? Is this most likely a simple electrical fix, or could it be a deeper transmission issue of some sort?
The "I" is essentially the same as "D" except 5th gear is disabled. It is intended to be used for towing or hilly roads. I suspect that the shift cable needs to be adjusted. The shift cable is adjustable where the shift cable connects to the shift lever.
Old October 27th, 2020, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you find a solution?

Originally Posted by ydissac85
I have the exact same issue with my 07 Equinox. I was wondering if you were able to resolve it.