Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Equinox DRL resistor replacment

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Equinox DRL resistor replacment

I have a 2005 Equinox with a bad DRL (daytime running lights)resistor. has anyone out there replaced this part themselves? I hear it is located behind the front driver side wheel well.

Can someone let me know how difficult it is to change? I'd like to do this myself andneed a bit of guideance.

Thanks in advance,
Buchu
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2005 Equinox DRL resistor replacment

Ok look at this below

[hr]
[/align]
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Resistor Replacement [/align]

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the front bumper fascia. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement .

Forward Lamp Wiring Harness Assembly

Daytime Running Lamp Resistor Assembly Bolt
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.
Tighten
6N·m (53lbin)

Daytime Running Lamp Resistor Assembly
Procedure
Disconnect the electrical connector.[/align][/align]
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much! The picture is exactly what I needed.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know where I can buy this resistor online? I've looked at GMpartsdirect but all they have is the bolt.

Thanks for your help!!
Old September 5th, 2012, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2005 Equinox and am having a similar problem, no DRL or low beams. I do not have the flashing DRL indicator when I start up the car or put it in drive though. Does this mean I have a different problem other than the DRL resistor?

I have checked both the under hood relay and the in cabin head lamp relay. I have high beams. When the switch is in auto I get no lights at all. When I move it one position I get parking lights. When I move it to the headlamp on position nothing changes. I checked the driver side bulb and both filaments looked good.

So my question, without the flashing DRL indicator, could it still be the resistor?
Old April 27th, 2014, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diagram

I need to do this but it appears the diagram is no longer viewable. Can someone update this with the diagram?

Thank you in advance,

Rick
Old April 27th, 2014, 3:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

This should help.

2005 Equinox DRL resistor replacment-drl_resistor_diagram.jpg
Old October 25th, 2021, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 Equinox DRL Module Plug/Pigtails

Hey guys I removed my old DRL Resister and it fell apart in 5 pcs, I bought a new one and installed it but still not working, Fuse is fine, I just installed brand new Head Light Assy's and New Bulbs. HiBeam and Lowbeam work fine, I noticed the old resister plug was really corroded(green inside) So I am thinking the plug that plugs into the resister must be the same way! Corroded inside causing no current connection. Does anyone know the part Number for the Plug so I can splice a new one in? I see now Dorman sells a Resister with a new plug But I already have a New Resister I just want a new plug, I contacted Dorman and they dont sell the plug seperatly. I guess GM would have them I would assume but cant find a Part Number anywhere for the damn Plug.
Anyone else go threw this?
I am in Ontario, Canada so we have to have DRL on during the day so want it fixed so I dont have to mess with turning them on and off and forgetting and leaving them on by mistake.

Appreciate your help!
Old October 25th, 2021, 1:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Chritters
Hey guys I removed my old DRL Resister and it fell apart in 5 pcs, I bought a new one and installed it but still not working, Fuse is fine, I just installed brand new Head Light Assy's and New Bulbs. HiBeam and Lowbeam work fine, I noticed the old resister plug was really corroded(green inside) So I am thinking the plug that plugs into the resister must be the same way! Corroded inside causing no current connection. Does anyone know the part Number for the Plug so I can splice a new one in? I see now Dorman sells a Resister with a new plug But I already have a New Resister I just want a new plug, I contacted Dorman and they dont sell the plug seperatly. I guess GM would have them I would assume but cant find a Part Number anywhere for the damn Plug.
Anyone else go threw this?
I am in Ontario, Canada so we have to have DRL on during the day so want it fixed so I dont have to mess with turning them on and off and forgetting and leaving them on by mistake.

Appreciate your help!
The part number for the connector is:
GM 12101855
AC Delco PT247
Dorman 645-521
WVE 1P1146
Echlin (NAPA/UAP) EC147
Standard Motor Products S689

It's unfortunate that the Dorman rep didn't know that they in fact do offer it separately under p/n 645-521. The exact same connector was used for the door lock actuators in numerous GM vehicles from the 1980s to early 2000s. You could easily find one in a junk yard if you knew which vehicles to look in. You can see some of the applications if you click on the link I provided for the Dorman part number. In all fairness though, there are lots of similar scenarios like this where companies are unaware that the same part was used for a completely different application. It's their loss for not doing more research though. All I did to find it was enter the GM part number into their cross reference database.
Old October 25th, 2021, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Much Appreciated

Thank You I appreciate your help!!

Originally Posted by ruley73
The part number for the connector is:
GM 12101855
AC Delco PT247
Dorman 645-521
WVE 1P1146
Echlin (NAPA/UAP) EC147
Standard Motor Products S689

It's unfortunate that the Dorman rep didn't know that they in fact do offer it separately under p/n 645-521. The exact same connector was used for the door lock actuators in numerous GM vehicles from the 1980s to early 2000s. You could easily find one in a junk yard if you knew which vehicles to look in. You can see some of the applications if you click on the link I provided for the Dorman part number. In all fairness though, there are lots of similar scenarios like this where companies are unaware that the same part was used for a completely different application. It's their loss for not doing more research though. All I did to find it was enter the GM part number into their cross reference database.