Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2011, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT that recently had the ABS and Traction Control lights come on in the dash board indicators and the ABS Brakes pulse suddenly. I took it to the shop and they replaced the Front Left and Back Left Wheel Hub Assembly as well as the Speed Control pieces and the ABS Brakes are still pulsing like anythiong and the lights are triggered constantly. Anyone had the same problem and how is the best way to fix it since they already tried to fix it the way the Chevy reccomends to fix it. Anyone had the dealership fix it after trying to get a mechanic to fix it? Thanks for the help as I am tired of putting money into it and it not getting fixed.

Last edited by rlnewell; April 12th, 2011 at 6:58 PM.
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. What you're describing sounds like one of the wheel speed sensors are fading out and simulating a wheel abruptly locking up. I'd say the shop didn't do too good a job. The ABS codes on wheel speed sensors don't necessarily mean the sensors themselves. Often the wiring degrades over time and develop intermittent connections. Chevy obviously doesn't recommend blindly throwing parts at it. It's not too late to take it it to the service department before you end up causing an accident.
Old May 17th, 2011, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Chevy Equinox ABS/Traction Control Problems

I am having that same problem with my 2006 Equinox. Been checked multiple times by 3 different mechanics. I think they replaced a front bearing?? Took back 3 times within two weeks, because that made it worse.

Although I feel that this is very dangerous as it is hard to push my brakes in sometimes, the mechanics including a Chevy dealership are telling me that there is no way it is unsafe?

Has anyone successfully solved this problem? Is it dangerous to be driving my baby in a car with this problem?
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Since the "same problem" doesn't necessarily mean the same cause, it's really not much to go on. Unfortunately, anything that interferes with and overrides your brake pedal input can actually increase the stopping distance. You ought to find another shop or service department. Keep in mind that not all dealership service departments are staffed and trained the same.
Old May 18th, 2011, 4:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cfugate
I am having that same problem with my 2006 Equinox. Been checked multiple times by 3 different mechanics. I think they replaced a front bearing?? Took back 3 times within two weeks, because that made it worse.

Although I feel that this is very dangerous as it is hard to push my brakes in sometimes, the mechanics including a Chevy dealership are telling me that there is no way it is unsafe?

Has anyone successfully solved this problem? Is it dangerous to be driving my baby in a car with this problem?

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. I see that you have taken your vehicle to a Chevrolet dealership. Are you still experiencing the issue? If so, please message me your information along with your VIN so I can set up a case for you.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 06 Equinox ABS and TC

I have had the same problem. I took it to my general mechanic first after reading about the many failed attempts to repair the issue. As stated by a lot of people my mechanic didn't find anything wrong. The lights went away and everything was fine for about a week. Then the lights came back on intermittently and it progressed until the lights stay on most of the time. When I brake on bumpy surfaces or brake while turning there is a rattling noise sometimes and it is hard to brake. It feels as if there are some sort of heavy spring mechanisms causing the brakes pulling the brakes tought. And when its bad and you push through this it will make this strange grinding sound. I have my car at dealership now. Crossing my fingers because they told me have to charge me 2 diagnostic charges. One for the ABS light and one for the TC light. To me this is cause and effect. $200 just to diagnose it!
Old June 9th, 2011, 9:35 AM
Official GM Rep

Tessabealer,

I am sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue. Did you get your vehicle back from the dealership?

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

I'm also having the same problem with my 2005 equinox. Taken it in and they said it was the wheel sensor and replaced it. It was fine for a couple of days and then the abs light came back on and when I would put on brakes it would lock up and have a pulsation to it and I would have to push really hard for it to stop. So, I took it into a different shop and they said the wheel sensor could be bad. Called the original place and they ordered another one and I had it replaced. Worked fine for a couple of days and now it's doing the same thing again. Called the chevy dealership and they want 100 to check it out.....
Old June 10th, 2011, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

No, I scheduled an appointment 2 days in advance so that it could be checked out the same day. I dropped it off at 7:30 and when I finally got them on the phone at 3:30 they hadn't even looked at it and weren't going to get to it until the next day. That was Wednesday. Thursday morning they called and said it was a faulty sensor and they were replacing the hub bearing and harness and it would be ready that evening. At 4:00 on Thursday they called me to say it won't be ready till noon today. I sure hope its ready, I have an extremely important appointment for my son this afternoon.
Old June 10th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Official GM Rep

tessabealer,

I am sorry that it is taking longer than expected to get your vehicle. Did you get it by noon?

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems