Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

I have a 2005 LT AWD Equinox and I'm having the same problem. The ABS and traction control light comes on intermittently and the brakes will pulsate when they shouldn't. Sometimes it will pulsate even if I'm not on the brakes. Going over a speed bump will often trigger the problem. I had the driver's side speed control sensor replaced but it did not fix the problem. FYI, the problem arose after I had new tires put on the car and then after a 4 hour road trip. Has anyone else figured out the issue? I'd hate to pay for repairs that don't fix the problem.

Old June 27th, 2011, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default ABS/ TC Sensor PROBLEM ...never ending problem

Well this all started in April, took it my local mechanic, 3 visits later, 2 replaced ABS Sensor, $300, still no fix. so I finally gave in, took it to the Chevy dealership, expecting to get my car fixed, what did they say, they had to replace the HUB unit and that they couldn't use the NEW sensor that was alreasdy installed by my previous mechanic, because it would cost more in labor charges, so they put in a NEW Hub Unit, another brand NEW ABS Sensor, $600 spent, and 4 days later same problem . I'm so frustrated. I'm close to $1000, and they still can't seem to fix the original problem I went in for! I'm up to $1000, and it just kills me that I could of put that money down on a new car by now.....ARGH! I have loved my car up until now, it just kills me that I have to drive it back to the dealership today, so they can most likely charge me for random parts, all I know is they better get it right this time around, because I've just about had it!!!!
Old June 28th, 2011, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default No known solution?

Originally Posted by rlinares
Well this all started in April, took it my local mechanic, 3 visits later, 2 replaced ABS Sensor, $300, still no fix. so I finally gave in, took it to the Chevy dealership, expecting to get my car fixed, what did they say, they had to replace the HUB unit and that they couldn't use the NEW sensor that was alreasdy installed by my previous mechanic, because it would cost more in labor charges, so they put in a NEW Hub Unit, another brand NEW ABS Sensor, $600 spent, and 4 days later same problem . I'm so frustrated. I'm close to $1000, and they still can't seem to fix the original problem I went in for! I'm up to $1000, and it just kills me that I could of put that money down on a new car by now.....ARGH! I have loved my car up until now, it just kills me that I have to drive it back to the dealership today, so they can most likely charge me for random parts, all I know is they better get it right this time around, because I've just about had it!!!!
I've looked on several Chevy message boards and it appears that this is a fairly common problem for the Equinox, but I have yet to see anyone figure out exactly what the problem is or how it can be fixed. Although the ABS and Traction Control code indicates that the problem is with the wheel speed sensor, this does not appear to be the issue. I'm in the same boat, I've really enjoyed my Equinox to this point, but the car is 6 years old and I'd hate to throw thousands of dollars at repairs that don't work.
Old June 29th, 2011, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update on my ABS/ TRACTION Dilema

So I took it again to the dealership, got it back yesterday, they said they found a short in the "pigtail wire harness", basically the way they described it to me, it's the wire that connects the HUB unit to the computer module. Luckily they replaced the part, free of charge and I am praying this fixes the issue, but if it doesn't I am taking it back until they get it right.

I also went ahead and posted a formal complaint with Chevrolet's Customer Service. And with luck, after sending my complaint, 10 min later I actually received a phone call regarding my complaint. I told them it wasn't fair and its definetly not a fluke incident that all these people are experiencing the same problems with there ABS/ Traction. Chevrolet/GM manufacturing should either recall the cars to fix the issue, or release information and train there service centers on how to properly address and fix the problem, without providing a costly burden on their Equinox owners. I strongly believe my compliant is why they did not charge me for the part yesterday, but we'll see if this "really fixes" the issue. I'm a bit skeptical at this point, but only time will tell.

If you haven't filed a formal complaint with Chevrolet, I think you should! Because I beleive that if more people step up to voice there concern and frustration, the more likely Chevrolet will take some responsibility over this issue.
Old June 30th, 2011, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevrolet's Customer Service contact info

Can you send the number you called to make a valid complaint regarding this. I called my dealership yesterday and they gave me some lame excuse as to why it takes so many times to figure out what the problem is.

Thank you
tdsnole
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

tdsnole,

Here is the number to Chevrolet Customer Assistance 800-222-1020. Their hours of operation are 8AM-9PM ET Monday-Saturday. This is the phone number you will need to call to file a formal complaint. Please make sure you let them know about the issues you are experiencing with your vehicle. They can also try to help and get the issue fixed for you.

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 6th, 2011, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

OK, here is my follow up. I took it into the dealership and they replaced the driver's side wheel hub, and they also machined the brake rotors. I went on a long trip this weekend and did not experience the same problem. It was hot, and we got stuck in some really bad stop and go traffic, and it felt like the brakes were sticky after the repair. The brake pedal did not always come right back up after I removed my foot from the pedal. Also, the pedal seemed stiff and was hard to push in. After traffic started moving quickly again the sticky pedal problem went away. In any event, the trip was seven hours each direction and the pulsating brakes and ABS/Traction Control light problem has not re-emerged. The repair cost $950. OUCH.
Old July 7th, 2011, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default So far so good

So I took it again to the dealership, got it back yesterday, they said they found a short in the "pigtail wire harness" (cost of part $165), basically the way they described it to me, it's the wire that connects the HUB unit to the computer module. Luckily they replaced the part, free of charge and I am praying this fixes the issue, but if it doesn't I am taking it back until they get it right.

I also went ahead and posted a formal complaint with Chevrolet's Customer Service. And with luck, after sending my complaint, 10 min later I actually received a phone call regarding my complaint. I told them it wasn't fair and its definetly not a fluke incident that all these people are experiencing the same problems with there ABS/ Traction. Chevrolet/GM manufacturing should either recall the cars to fix the issue, or release information and train there service centers on how to properly address and fix the problem, without providing a costly burden on their Equinox owners. I strongly believe my compliant is why they did not charge me for the part yesterday, but we'll see if this "really fixes" the issue. I'm a bit skeptical at this point, but only time will tell.

If you haven't filed a formal complaint with Chevrolet, I think you should! Because I beleive that if more people step up to voice there concern and frustration, the more likely Chevrolet will take some responsibility over this issue.
It's been a week since I've had my car back, I've driven it up and down, and over a hundred bumps, and I think they may have actually fixed the problem, YAY!
Old July 8th, 2011, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default Oh man...

It's been a week since I've had my car back, I've driven it up and down, and over a hundred bumps, and I think they may have actually fixed the problem, YAY!
If I just paid $900 for something that could have been fixed for $165 I'm pissed.
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Has anybody had succes fixing the prolem with ABS and T/C problem? would really appreciate your assistance on this. I ve just purchased this car to my wife and i want to fix it before she has any accident.

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems