Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's there a way i get my hands on a diagram for the location ot the wiring harness that connect to the ABS Sensor i would like to try and look for any broken wires or bad connectors.
Thanks.
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Have them look into the "pigtail wire harness", it will not show up as being the problem, but trust me, its the wiring. As soon as they changed mine out, it fixed my issue, sadly this fixed the issue after about $1000 dollars in repairs, but since they changed it out I have had no problems, and have driven atleast 3K miles already, so I do believe that this is the fix for the issue with the ABS and traction control light. Good Luck, at the Chevy dealership near me , the part and fix cost about $165, ...it may be different pricing at every location, but this is a much cheaper part than having them change out all of your ABS sensor.

Also put a formal complaint in with Chevrolet Customer Service, they may be able to provide you some assistance with having this issue addressed or possibly fixed.
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
tdsnole,

Here is the number to Chevrolet Customer Assistance 800-222-1020. Their hours of operation are 8AM-9PM ET Monday-Saturday. This is the phone number you will need to call to file a formal complaint. Please make sure you let them know about the issues you are experiencing with your vehicle. They can also try to help and get the issue fixed for you.

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
So this has just started on my wifes 2006 equinox, (the ABS and TC lights are on) although we have not noticed any pulsating with the brakes up to this point. Has Chevrolet thought about a recall on this? Are there serious safety concerns since this is dealing with the braking system? How should I proceed to get this resolved quickly unlike so many others that have spent there hard earned money and time to try to resolve?
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

kystreetrod,

I am sorry to hear that you and your wife are experiencing this issue as well. The only way to issue a recall is to have documentation of the issue at the dealership. I have noticed a lot of people on the forums I monitor don’t really like visiting the dealership. So if they don’t then that is one less person that the dealership has documentation of that is experiencing the issue. I encourage you to take a trip to your dealership to have them look into the issue for you.

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 5th, 2011, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rlnewell
I have a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT that recently had the ABS and Traction Control lights come on in the dash board indicators and the ABS Brakes pulse suddenly. I took it to the shop and they replaced the Front Left and Back Left Wheel Hub Assembly as well as the Speed Control pieces and the ABS Brakes are still pulsing like anythiong and the lights are triggered constantly. Anyone had the same problem and how is the best way to fix it since they already tried to fix it the way the Chevy reccomends to fix it. Anyone had the dealership fix it after trying to get a mechanic to fix it? Thanks for the help as I am tired of putting money into it and it not getting fixed.
rlnewell,

I had the same problem with my equinox 2006. The dealer also told me to replace wheel hub which comes with the speed sensor as one piece and charge me a lot of monet but that is FALSE. They can change only the speed sensor so that is what I told them to change. After leaving the dealer the problem persisted so I took the equinox to the dealer again the same day and they re-checked and replaced the wire that comes from the computer to the hub speed sensor and the problem was solved. I think that the dealer must first start by checking the wire before replacing the speed sensor because seems that my problem was the wire and not the sensor. Hope this helps.
Old September 13th, 2011, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

wow i am having the same problem with my 2006 equinox ls. just got the car back from the chevy dealership last week for this problem... well it's back at the dealer my ABS light and TC light are back on. they said they might have to charge me again for another diagnopstic check. does filing a complaint really work? i just about had it with chevy
Old September 14th, 2011, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by richard805
wow i am having the same problem with my 2006 equinox ls. just got the car back from the chevy dealership last week for this problem... well it's back at the dealer my ABS light and TC light are back on. they said they might have to charge me again for another diagnopstic check. does filing a complaint really work? i just about had it with chevy
richard805, the ABS/TC light can came on for several reasons. if you are taking your vehicle one week after the repair then I think they can charge you again for the diagnostic. If the new diagnostic is related to the previous repair they should reverse the new charges. the dealer where i took was Equinox was an authorized GM service center and they offer 12 month / 12 miles warranty in repair. i had the same problem of you with the exception that my repair only last minutes so i took my equinox the same day and they only billed me for the cost of the new part (wiring harness) they did not charge me for the labor. i know how frustrated you are because in my problem it was very hard to try stopping my vehicle in occasions, that is a serious safety issue and someone can be killed. I did not understood why GM did not issue a recall for this issue. Hope that you resolve your problem soon.
Old September 14th, 2011, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default A fix to the ABS issue

I had posted this in the past, but just so you know the fix is for them to switch out the wiring, specifically the "pigtail wire harness" its the wire that connects from the ABS Hub unit, to the computer. Do not waste your time or money replacing the ABS hub unit, and speed sensor, I spent over $1000 doing the same, and it wasn't until they switched out the wiring that the problem was fixed. Good Luck to you all.
Old September 14th, 2011, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Harness

Were can i purchase the wiring harness so i can do it myself?

Thanks.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

well it's going on day 3 that the chevy dealer has my car..funny thing you guys mention wire harness because now they're saying that was the problem.so my question now is if this is covered by the extended warranty? i have had so much trouble with this car that it's not even funny.. my thermostat,passenger door lock and window, and my igniton switch has been replaced 3 times because its gets stuck.. was planning on getting a malibu but after all this drama i think i'll just go for a Maxima instead....

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems