Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM
ams
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hope it's really fixed this time!!!

I was having the same problems with my 06 Equinox LT. The ABS T/C lights were coming on usually after a speed bump in my neighborhood or while driving under 20 mph. Brakes grabbing and grinding when braking. Twice during heavy rain the car made a loud roaring noise and would not accelerate. My brakes and rotors had been recently replaced when my problems started at approx 65,000 miles. My husband started by replacing the front left sensor,$125.00 same problem not fixed. Then Pepboys did a diagnostic and replaced my front left hub - $625.00. I thought it was fixed till 250 miles later the lights came back on. They agreed to refund my money - WOW! Then took it to the chevy dealership and they did a diagnostic. This is what my paperwork says. It came back with codes C000,U2100, U2105. Indicating that the ECM was giving no or incorrect information during the diagnostic. The dealership replaced the ECM. Somehow it was under warrenty because the replacement fell under some emissions warrenty. IDK. I am at 260 miles and I hope the light doesnt come back on. I really can't afford to try to chase this problem. Maybe this ECM replacement is the key for your ABS T/C light issue.

Update: 750 miles and no ABS T/C light on. The ECM replacement must have fixed it. Now my heater core is broken. I'll keep an eye on the antifreeze levels, but I am not fixing it. I'll be trading this SUV in as soon as I can. It's too bad it starting to have these expensive repairs at only 65000 miles. I liked the car for the most part... other than the bad turning radius.

Last edited by ams; November 16th, 2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: update
Old November 10th, 2011, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

for AMS.
Thave them replace the wiring harness.that fixed my problem. it wasnt the hub or sensor. ny lights havent turned back on since they replaced the wiring harness. hope this helps
Old November 15th, 2011, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Not sure if I have the same problem... anyone have thoughts:

This is the exact situation that happens almost every time I brake:

The brake pedal begins to stiffen at 5 mph and only at 5 mph. If I gradually brake and can 'skip over' 5 mph, the pedal doesn't get stiff. This happens both in drive and reverse. It almost sounds like something is grinding or stuck, but its hard to really put the noise into words. I'm still able to brake but it's just a little harder to do so because of the pedal getting harder to push. Again, it only happens at 5 mph; no other speed which is pretty strange in my opinion. No ABS lights, etc come on either.

Thoughts? Advice (besides going to a mechanic)?

Thanks in advance!
Old November 16th, 2011, 9:52 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am sorry to hear of your brake pedal frustrations. Unfortunately, the problem you have described could be caused by a few different factors. I know you said that you didn't want to go to a mechanic, but I would suggest visiting your local dealer so they can pinpoint the problem by running a diagnostic test. If you have any further questions, please feel free to message me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 16th, 2011, 8:40 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am sorry to hear of your brake pedal frustrations. Unfortunately, the problem you have described could be caused by a few different factors. I know you said that you didn't want to go to a mechanic, but I would suggest visiting your local dealer so they can pinpoint the problem by running a diagnostic test. If you have any further questions, please feel free to message me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
There are good technicians out there that can fix cars as good as or better than then dealer
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Louis
GM Customer Service
There is no doubt I need to go to a mechanic; however I'd like to see if anyone has thoughts on potential causes before spending the time & money for diagnostic tests. What are the potential causes you are referencing?
Old November 17th, 2011, 2:52 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am sorry, but I cannot diagnose problems over the internet. That is why I suggested visiting your local dealer. I don't want to offer incorrect possibilities. The dealer should be able to pinpoint the problem much easier and with better accuracy.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 17th, 2011, 9:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am sorry, but I cannot diagnose problems over the internet. That is why I suggested visiting your local dealer. I don't want to offer incorrect possibilities. The dealer should be able to pinpoint the problem much easier and with better accuracy.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I sure he can not diagnose it at all. He is most likely a suit that never worked on a car. Sent here by GM to drum up business for dealers. You most likely have an ABS sensor dropping out which makes the ABS computer think the wheel is locked up. No ABS light because it does not know anything is wrong.
Old November 18th, 2011, 6:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
I sure he can not diagnose it at all. He is most likely a suit that never worked on a car. Sent here by GM to drum up business for dealers. You most likely have an ABS sensor dropping out which makes the ABS computer think the wheel is locked up. No ABS light because it does not know anything is wrong.
Thanks. What's average cost of the fix for that?
Old November 18th, 2011, 7:26 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Depends on whats wrong anywhere from $200-$1000. No way to know until somone looks at it

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems