Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2011, 6:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2006 chevy equinox lt awd tc light

I JUST BOUGHT A 2006 CHEVY EQUINOX LT AWD AND WENT OUT TO START IT THIS MORNING AND SEEN THAT THE TC LIGHT CAME ON . WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM ? I HAVE NOTICED ALOT OF PEOPLE POSTING ON THIS PROBLEM . CAN ANYONE HELP ME ABOUT THIS PROBLEM ? WHAT IS THE TC LIGHT AND HOW DOES IT AFFECT MY DRIVEING THE VEHICLE . COULD THIS BE DANGROUS ? THANKS
The following users liked this post:
brenda_85 (July 24th, 2021)
Old December 13th, 2011, 8:16 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Missy,

The TC light stands for Traction Control.

The traction control system automatically comes on whenever you start your vehicle. To limit wheel spin, especially in slippery road conditions, you should always leave the system on.

- For vehicles equipped with the traction control system and front-wheel drive, this light will come on and stay on if you turn the system off by pressing the traction control button located on the instrument panel above the audio system. To turn the system back on, press the button again. The warning light should go off.

- For vehicles equipped with all-wheel-drive, this light will come on and stay on when the all-wheel-drive system is unable to protect for overheating under extended heavy all wheel-drive usage.

- If there is an engine-related and brake system problem that is specifically related to traction control, the traction control system will turn off and the warning light will come on.

- If the traction control system warning light comes on and stays on for an extended period of time when the system is turned on, your vehicle needs service.

If the light stays on, please take you vehicle in for an inspection. You may have to adjust your driving depending on the road conditions. Since the TC controls wheel spin, if it is not working, your wheels may spin, especially in slippery road conditions.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 15th, 2011, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

i had the same problem and changed the egr valve and the problem went away for over a year now. P
Old December 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by paulgunning
i had the same problem and changed the egr valve and the problem went away for over a year now. P
We had a problem with the SERVICE STABILITRAK and SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL warnings coming on ours that was also fixed when the EGR valve was replaced.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap fix for wheel speed sensor errors

Years ago, I owed a '99 grand am which first introduced me to the dreaded "ABS / Traction Control trouble-light combo. The technician then had me replace the hub assembly, which contained the new sensor and the trouble was gone. He also explained that the problem isn't usually with the sensor, but rather corrosion on the connections between the cable and the sensor, just behind the brake caliper.

I have since owned an '04 grand am and '05 terraza. Both have given me the same issue. I'll explain the fixes separately.

I was fixing the brakes on the ('04) grand am, and remembered the sagely advice of the technician from years ago. I had some electrical contact cleaner (brand "DEox-IT), which I had purchased from guitarcenter in order to clean some amp pots. I decided to try spraying the connections for the wheel speed sensors while I had the front brakes apart. My trouble lights went off and haven't come on ever since. Much cheaper than a new hub assembly. It may be dumb-luck, but it does agree with the reasoning of the tech who worked on my '99.

As per the Terraza, the contacts are much tougher to get-to. It appears that the hub must be pulled off in order to get to the contacts to attempt cleaning them. I lucked out and the shop had just performed a fix on the troubled wheel 6 months prior and fixed it free as a warranty job.

I'm not a terribly experienced driveway mechanic, but I just thought that it may be prudent, whenever you have your wheels off - just hit the plugs for the wheel speed sensors (when convenient) with contact cleaner and you could get more life between replacing these troublesome parts.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 2006 equinox and have had to have the right rear hub replaced 4 times bc of a bad speed sensor the abs and tc lights come on and stay on. it does not effect the driving or braking ability. id like to know why it may keep doing this? thanks for any info.
Old March 8th, 2012, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fix for ABS Sensor (atleast in worked in my case)

Often the wiring degrades over time and develop intermittent connections with the sensor, so Chevy dealership (after several HUB, Sensor, and Wheel Barring Unit replacements) actually changed the pigtail wire harness that connects to the sensor, and that finally fixed the problem. So to answer many of your queries, I would have them look into the wiring first, since that is actually cheaper to replace than the wheel barrings, sensor, hub units (etc.) . Since they did this fix over 9 months ago, I have had no issues. Good Luck everyone.
Old March 9th, 2012, 6:44 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rlinares
Often the wiring degrades over time and develop intermittent connections with the sensor, so Chevy dealership (after several HUB, Sensor, and Wheel Barring Unit replacements) actually changed the pigtail wire harness that connects to the sensor, and that finally fixed the problem. So to answer many of your queries, I would have them look into the wiring first, since that is actually cheaper to replace than the wheel barrings, sensor, hub units (etc.) . Since they did this fix over 9 months ago, I have had no issues. Good Luck everyone.

Well for mineits doing it anywhere from 8-10 months. They wouldnt even check the pigtail. Lol they werent even gonna run the codes on it until i flung a fit. They told me it was my tires. Then they had to apologize. If or when it does it again im gonna push the issue.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 2006 equinox and ive always had break problems but everyone else who i let drive my car say it drives fine, last week my check engine light came on and the code came back saying it was running lean, my car has thrown this code at me atleast 6 times in the last 2 years ive had it, i took it to the dealer once and they cleaned my injectors and that helped for about a day but then the light came back on so i just ignored it like usual and it went away. this time i took it in and they said it was a leak in my break booster and its $700 to repair (no way in hell will i pay this for something i can do myself) then yesterday i was driving doing 50 on the highway and the light turned orange i had plenty of time to stop, (well over 60 feet) it wasnt icy slippy wet or anything ut just dry, my car just didnt want to stop i had my pedel down as far as it would go and my car just kept making a noise like my abs was going off it did this for a good 30 feet and then it was like my breaks just started working and it just came a sudden stop (luckly no one was in from of me) its going to the dealer tomorrow but i still wanna know so ideas on what this is.
Old March 15th, 2012, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same Problem on Chevy Equinox 07

It looks like we all have or had the same problem.
I just bought it a week ago, what a surprise. So I took my Equinox to the dealership today, (Shottenkirk of Mount Pleasant, Ia) They diagnosed to replace Front Bearings and Sensors.
Total Cost: $1270 plus taxes !!!
I don't want to spend or waste this amount of money if is not going to fix the problem ! could it be just the pigtail wire harness ???
anyone ?

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems