Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Chevrolet Equinox; power problem.

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2013, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Chevrolet Equinox; power problem.

For the last couple weeks I have been struggling with some "unknown" car problem. Here is what has happened:

May 2: Got off work, and my car had no power. First hint was that my remote to unlock my doors would not work. And by no power I mean my car wouldn't do ANYTHING. Had a technician come out, jump the battery, he told me it was bad. So I immediately went to autozone, bought a new one, and had it installed. When I went home, I left my car running for thirty minutes before turning it off. I used the car over the weekend, with no problems.

May 6: Tried to get something out of my car, remote not working again, and yes, car has no power.

May 7 - May 9: Friend comes to my house, jumps the battery, and I take it to a local garage. They keep it for 48 hrs. My alternator checks out fine, the computer system checks out fine. They check it for parasitic draws. They check the battery charge several times throughout each day with no loss of power. They can't find anything wrong with it, so I have no choice but to take it home and see what happens.

May 12: You guessed it. My car has no power. AGAIN.

I'm not surprised, just at a loss. The shop told me to call them if it happens again, but i'm not sure if they are open on Sunday, and I'm very frustrated. Anyone have any idea as to what may be going on?

Thanks in advance,
Kristy
Old July 21st, 2013, 2:19 AM
CF Beginner

It's been a while since you posted this so I hope you got it fixed. I'm curious to know what it was. I'd guess some kind of intermittent short. Those can be pretty elusive.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

I am not good with the technical terms, so please bear with me.

There is a switch in the steering column that controls the bright/dim headlight function. That switch had been broken for a while, and ended up causing the headlights to occasionally stay on once my car was shut off. They weren't staying on every time I used the car, I just happened to notice one night that they would not shut off. They are automatic, and there is no off switch so I couldn't turn them off. And sure enough my car was dead the next morning. Once I told the shop about the lights, it was easy for them to figure it out. The shop replaced the switch, problem solved.

Last edited by kmarie; July 22nd, 2013 at 6:53 AM.