Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 Equinox losing antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2015, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Equinox losing antifreeze

Hello all,

I've been losing coolant in my '07 Equinox for a while now, but don't know where its going. No visible puddles or spots or smells. I have to fill it about every month or 6 weeks. It will be fine while moving, but if I'm in traffic, the temp gauge will shoot up and the fans will be running like crazy. Then I know to add more and it's fine for a while. Any thoughts on where it's going? Do I need to replace hoses? Something more serious?

Thanks!
Old November 12th, 2015, 6:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

There are two things that most likely could be causing you to lose coolant.

The first possibility is a bad coolant lid. If it isn't maintaining the appropriate pressure the coolant will boil prematurely. It will boil out of the reservoir either through the cap itself or through the overflow hose. Replace the coolant lid and the problem will go away

The second possibility is a worn water pump that is weeping coolant which indicates that it must be replaced. If this is the problem, you should address this immediately. Eventually the pump will catastrophically fail causing you to rapidly lose most of the coolant in the cooling system in a matter of minutes if not seconds. If this happens while driving down the road, the engine may overheat and cause permanent damage requiring extensive engine repair. Replacing the water pump is a fairly easy task, but you must remove the air box and the upper right engine mount to gain access to it. The engine must be supported before removing the mount.
Old March 18th, 2016, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case you're curious as to what the issue was...I replaced: plugs, wires, coolant lid, couple leaking hoses, intake gasket (and there was a bunch of oatmeal looking crud in there ) I was STILL having problems. Got fed up trying to do it ourselves so took it to a shop...Head Gasket. Luckily it was covered by my extended warranty. Heads were pressure tested, came back good, and I haven't had any problems with losing coolant or losing heat. (Knock on wood...)