Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 Equinox rear wiper motor not working...rear wiper arm won't come off

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 2007 Equinox rear wiper motor not working...rear wiper arm won't come off

The rear wiper motor has stopped working completely. The fuse is fine. I'd like to remove the rear wiper motor so I can get to the harness going to the motor to do some more diagnosing. The problem is I can't get the rear wiper arm separated from the motor, and therefore cannot remove the wiper motor.

It does not appear to just simply pull off after removing the 1/2" retaining nut

Any ideas for removing the rear wiper arm?

Last edited by ruley73; June 15th, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old June 16th, 2011, 7:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need a small puller if you can't just wiggle it a little and get it loose. Don't force it back and forth as you could strip it. If you have a battery cable puller, you can use it. It's kind of horse shoe shaped with a screw in the middle. Most parts stores carry them.
Old June 16th, 2011, 5:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Chuzz
You'll need a small puller if you can't just wiggle it a little and get it loose. Don't force it back and forth as you could strip it. If you have a battery cable puller, you can use it. It's kind of horse shoe shaped with a screw in the middle. Most parts stores carry them.
Oooo a battery terminal puller. That's a good idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that considering I have a few years of parts store experience under my belt. I'll buy one and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks.
Old June 16th, 2011, 6:07 PM
CF Active Member

Yep, I couldn't think of what it was called! LOL Post back and let me know if that works for you.
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM
CF Active Member

Hey ruley73, did you ever get that wiper arm off and get it fixed?
Old July 5th, 2011, 2:46 AM
CF Pro Member

I have not got it fixed yet. I used a small 3-jaw puller to get the wiper arm off. I was surprised at how stubborn it was. I thought for sure I would ruin the arm as hard as I had to crank on the puller to get it to pop off. I'm certain that what made it so hard was the fact that it is sprung to the rear window, but there isn't an easy way to relieve that pressure since the design of the arm doesn't allow you to prop it up to a vertical position unlike the front wiper which do allow you to do that.

So for now, the wife is just driving it without the rear wiper arm. I'm hoping to remove the wiper motor, test it, and check some wiring if necessary next weekend. Things keep coming up so it keeps getting rotated to the back burner.

Last edited by ruley73; February 17th, 2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 9:01 AM
CF Active Member

I know what you mean, dude. It seems like every time I get ready to do something around the house, the wife or one of the kids has an emergency that comes up. At least according to them, it's an emergency! LOL
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
CF Pro Member

So I finally got around to looking at this earlier tonight. The motor is definitely what's bad. It got really hot at some point and it melted the insides. I've posted some pics below. A new motor (AC DELCO/GM p/n 19329491) from RockAuto is about $100.

Some pics of the melted insides...
2007 Equinox rear wiper motor not working...rear wiper arm won't come off-melt1.jpg2007 Equinox rear wiper motor not working...rear wiper arm won't come off-melt2.jpg
2007 Equinox rear wiper motor not working...rear wiper arm won't come off-melt3.jpg2007 Equinox rear wiper motor not working...rear wiper arm won't come off-melt4.jpg

And one pic of the internal mechanism because I was curious...
2007 Equinox rear wiper motor not working...rear wiper arm won't come off-inside.jpg

Last edited by ruley73; June 14th, 2016 at 7:14 PM. Reason: part number changed from 25847876 to 19329491
Old September 16th, 2011, 5:09 PM
CF Pro Member

So I finally got around to buying a new wiper motor and installing it before it got too cold out. It took me about 45 minutes. The problem is fixed. The rear wiper works better than it ever has. The wiper definitely moves a bit faster than it ever did with the old motor.

I'm hoping it doesn't burn up like the OEM motor. The new one supposedly has an improved design, but it looked just like the old one on the outside. As you can see in the pics in my previous post, the old motor was completely burned up and not in working order.

For those that are wondering....

Part needed:
- Rear window wiper motor for 2005-2006 Equinox GM/AC Delco p/n 15813164
- Rear window wiper motor for 2007-2009 Equinox GM/AC Delco p/n 25847876 19329491

Tools needed:
- T30 Torx driver (to remove two liftgate interior panel screws)
- 3/8" drive ratchet (preferably with with 4" extension)
- 1/2" socket (for wiper arm retaining nut)
- 10mm socket (for wiper motor mounting bolts)
- small flat blade screwdriver (to remove wiper arm nut cover and wiper motor plug retaining clip)
- battery terminal puller is preferred, but small 3-jaw puller will work too (to remove wiper arm from wiper motor)

Last edited by ruley73; May 18th, 2020 at 12:03 PM. Reason: 2007-2009 part number 25847876 has been replaced by 19329491
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Retaining nut help

Where is this retaining nut you speak of? I am having some issues with my rear wiper, it doesnt move either. It seems that it was pretty rusted up on the gears of the mechanism, and also it popped out of the orange circular thing in you last pic. How do i get that post back into the orange thingy? Very novice car guy here, please help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Equinox rear wiper motor not working...rear wiper arm won't come off