Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Equinox coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2019, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equinox coolant leak

My wife has a 2008 LS Equinox with an external coolant leak. I pressure tested the system and it held psi, however I spotted an active leak on the driver’s side of the engine block. Pictures are attached- I’m leaning towards external head gasket leak. Upon start up there is white smoke from the tail pipe, however it goes away after 30 seconds. No evidence of coolant in the oil. Any ideas?
Old March 19th, 2019, 4:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

It looks to me like the lower intake gasket is leaking. I don't think the white smoke is anything to be worried about. The lower intake gaskets don't fail very often on the 3.4L/3400 in the Equinox/Torrent. They use different design that is better than the 3.4L/3400 used in other GM vehicles (which did have a high failure rate).
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (March 6th, 2021)
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Saaber6

My wife has a 2008 LS Equinox with an external coolant leak. I pressure tested the system and it held psi, however I spotted an active leak on the driver’s side of the engine block. Pictures are attached- I’m leaning towards external head gasket leak. Upon start up there is white smoke from the tail pipe, however it goes away after 30 seconds. No evidence of coolant in the oil. Any ideas?
Hey thx for the pics did you figure out the problem? I think my 2007 equinox has the same type of leak any help much appreciated
Old January 4th, 2020, 10:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by John Carter
Hey thx for the pics did you figure out the problem? I think my 2007 equinox has the same type of leak any help much appreciated
I'd drain some coolant out, add some Alumiseal, run it good and hot and hope for the best.Seen that stuff work wonders over the years. I'd mix the Alumiseal with your collant before putting it back in as that way
it will mix up better.
Old March 6th, 2021, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by John Carter
I also have the same leak on my 07 equinox. Have you heard any idea where the leak is coming from? I'm having an issue with bleeding the air from the coolant constantly it seems like. Thinking this could be because of the leak drawing in air as well. Thanks
Old March 6th, 2021, 2:56 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeandRachael Howard
I also have the same leak on my 07 equinox. Have you heard any idea where the leak is coming from? I'm having an issue with bleeding the air from the coolant constantly it seems like. Thinking this could be because of the leak drawing in air as well. Thanks
Check and/or replace the coolant lid. If the cap isn't holding pressure, the coolant will boil prematurely which may cause air pockets to form. Otherwise, pressure testing the coolant system should find the leak if there is one.