Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Chevy Equinox Chimes, speakers & navigation sound all gone at same time

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2011, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Chevy Equinox Chimes, speakers & navigation sound all gone at same time

The front door, driver's side speakers went out, as did the blinker chimes and seatbelt notification chime and (factory install) navigation voice all went out at same time? Checked fuses, they all look fine?
Old June 9th, 2011, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Any info is appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Chevryowner218,

I am sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue with your Equinox. Have you spoken with your dealership to confirm the issue?

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:42 PM
CF Active Member

If you live near an Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, take it there and ask them to read the codes for you. Once you get the numbers, ask them what they mean. If you don't ask, they won't tell you what you need to do. Did you check both fuse boxes? My 07 has one under the hood and one on the passenger side of the console.
Old May 9th, 2012, 4:59 AM
CF Beginner

I live in Korea and there aren't any Auto Zones here o take it to. Is it the fuse or did the speaker just go out?
Old March 8th, 2013, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

The front door, driver's side speakers went out, as did the blinker chimes and seatbelt notification chime and (factory install) navigation voice all went out at same time, Checked fuses, replaced speaker with another factory speaker traced wires looked under hood even pulled radio to make sure all the connectors were cleaned and making contact. anyone now what it be as i am having issue with my 08 equinox???????
Old March 9th, 2013, 1:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dudley_4
The front door, driver's side speakers went out, as did the blinker chimes and seatbelt notification chime and (factory install) navigation voice all went out at same time, Checked fuses, replaced speaker with another factory speaker traced wires looked under hood even pulled radio to make sure all the connectors were cleaned and making contact. anyone now what it be as i am having issue with my 08 equinox???????
Check for broken wires in the door jamb. I'd bet the wires going to the front left speaker have broken in the rubber boot that covers them. All chimes, blinker sounds, warning sounds, and the navigation voice only go to that speaker. This would explain why you don't hear them anymore. The wires breaking in the door jamb happens more often in the Equinox compared to most other vehicles. If you are good with a soldering iron, you should be able to fix it yourself. Your other options would be to run new 18 AWG wires to that speaker or replace that harness. The latter would cost a few hundred dollars. If you decide to repair it yourself, do NOT use crimped butt connectors - solder the connection and use some heatshrink wire covering to insulate the repair.
Old March 9th, 2013, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

thank you but the wires are fine talked to dealership the told me to trace the onstar wires as they do run through that side of the speaker system if that is teh case then i ll post it on here and let you know
Old March 9th, 2013, 7:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dudley_4
thank you but the wires are fine talked to dealership the told me to trace the onstar wires as they do run through that side of the speaker system if that is teh case then i ll post it on here and let you know
I regret to inform you that what the dealership told you is incorrect. The only wires that go to the front left speaker come directly from the radio. Onstar and the BCM interface/communicate with the radio, and the radio then outputs the sounds to the front left speaker as necessary. This is why a separate interface is required to keep Onstar & warning sounds/chimes when you replace the factory radio with an aftermarket one. If things were wired as the dealership told you, such an interface would not be necessary.
Old March 9th, 2013, 8:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

+1 for the door jam wiring. Its a common problem. Open the door and pull the rubber loom to one side. There will be a wack of broken wires. Sad that a dealer tech could not find that.

if anyone has a early model nox. pull back the loom and wrap the harness with electrical tape to reinforce them before they break.

Last edited by tech2; March 9th, 2013 at 8:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Chevy Equinox Chimes, speakers & navigation sound all gone at same time