Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Equinox Fuel pump leak

Old May 11th, 2016, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Equinox Fuel pump leak

I have a 2008 Equinox and just got it back from the garage where it cost men$1,223.59 to have the fuel pump module replaced. I had noticed a smell of fuel when I would get in my vehicle and it was also "missing" when I would press on the gas pedal. I figured it was leaking somewhere and tried to find it but couldn't. So I took it to my mechanic and he found that the fuel pump return line had a crack in it and could not be fixed unless the fuel
Pump was replaced. With this being a Safety issue, and because the 2007
Equinox had a recall for the same issue, is this something Chevy would be interested to know about and does anyone think they would offer to help with the cost? I only have 84,000 miles on it and it's only driven locally and never abused, wrecked, etc. Does anyone think I should notify Chevy of this? It could have been bad and caught on fire if I hadn't found it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2016, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Still having problems

Had the fuel pump changed and now it's really missing. On my way to work when I would go up a hill or press the gas pedal it would really start missing and then the engine light would come on. It would flash for several seconds then go off. Anyone have any idea??? I need help!

Originally Posted by YoBob
I have a 2008 Equinox and just got it back from the garage where it cost men$1,223.59 to have the fuel pump module replaced. I had noticed a smell of fuel when I would get in my vehicle and it was also "missing" when I would press on the gas pedal. I figured it was leaking somewhere and tried to find it but couldn't. So I took it to my mechanic and he found that the fuel pump return line had a crack in it and could not be fixed unless the fuel
Pump was replaced. With this being a Safety issue, and because the 2007
Equinox had a recall for the same issue, is this something Chevy would be interested to know about and does anyone think they would offer to help with the cost? I only have 84,000 miles on it and it's only driven locally and never abused, wrecked, etc. Does anyone think I should notify Chevy of this? It could have been bad and caught on fire if I hadn't found it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old January 13th, 2017, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gas leak

It's free. They don't tell u but it is on a extender service warranty through Chev. I just had mine replaced free at Campbell Chevy in bowling Green KY
Old January 21st, 2017, 1:43 AM
CF Beginner

Hey YoBob,
I just joined this forum, looking for information as I'm having the same problem. Gas smell, went to a local garage had the tank dropped, plastic housing on top of the fuel pump is cracked. They have the part on order, estimated $1000 ($650 assembly & $350 labor) to replace the fuel pump assembly.
Did you ever report this to Chevy?
I too was very concerned as this is a safety issue with the exhaust pipes running directly under the gas tank. Looks like fellow poster roger found that this is covered under an extended service warranty.
I'm making some calls first thing in the morning.
Old February 4th, 2019, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Just to let anyone else that has been hit with this issue, I just had mine repaired at the dealer “at-no-cost”! Turns out, at least for 2007, 2008 and 2009 (could be more) that it is covered by Chevrolet for “unlimited time and milage” (mine has 126K) under “Special coverage #12191” Hope this helps others.
Old October 17th, 2019, 8:11 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default 2007 Chevy equinox gas smell

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox it is leaking fuel at fuel tank top on the right side is this under warranty for and get it fix
Old October 17th, 2019, 9:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Mcquoid
I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox it is leaking fuel at fuel tank top on the right side is this under warranty for and get it fix
Yes, the previous post is accurate.

Search this Thread