Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2009 Equinox won't start after battery disconnnected

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Equinox won't start after battery disconnnected

I have a 2009 equinox that I had parked for a couple weeks with the battery disconnected. When I went to hook the battery back up the car started honking. When I tried to start the car it won't start. The dash lights come on, power windows locks etc all work. But car will not turn over. I have tried jumping off that does not work. Neither the factory remote start nor the ignition key will start the car. No clicking sound from the starter relay or anything. I called the dealer and their only suggestion was to have it towed in so they could look at it. Any suggestions?
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

It sounds like it is in anti theft mode or something. You will probably have to take it to a dealer to be reprogrammed but I am no expert.
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Macha_nick
I have a 2009 equinox that I had parked for a couple weeks with the battery disconnected. When I went to hook the battery back up the car started honking. When I tried to start the car it won't start. The dash lights come on, power windows locks etc all work. But car will not turn over. I have tried jumping off that does not work. Neither the factory remote start nor the ignition key will start the car. No clicking sound from the starter relay or anything. I called the dealer and their only suggestion was to have it towed in so they could look at it. Any suggestions?
The horn honking is an indicator of the anti-theft feature kicking in. How long did the horn honk? How did it stop honking - by itself, by you hitting the unlock button on the remote, or did you stick the key in the ignition and turn to the RUN position? Those are the only two ways that the anti-theft feature is disarmed.

If you turn the key to the RUN position and turn everything off (including any auto headlamps/DRL), what voltage does the cluster indicate? If you see anything under 11.5 volts your battery is at least very low and won't be able to power the starter. Your battery may be able to be recharged, but may need replacement. Yours would be about due if it is still the factory-installed battery. Our factory battery only lasted 4 years and there's a good chance your vehicle was assembled in 2008.
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

I got the horn turned off using the remote keyless entry. I disconnected the battery again and waited about 20 minutes. Hooked it back up and still nothing. Dash voltage is not reading low and battery is only 3 months old.
Old August 16th, 2013, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

When you turn the key is there a theft light or anything flashing in the dash. You will probably have to get the transponder key thing reprogrammed.
Old August 16th, 2013, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

There are several error messages displaying; stabilitrak off, and check tire pressure and check engine are on, but nothing displaying anything about security or anti-theft. I am wondering if maybe it blew a fuse or starter relay or something.
Old August 16th, 2013, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

I found this online, worth a shot. This is to reset the Passlock.
Important: Do not remove the key from the ignition during this procedure. If the key is removed, the procedure will have to be performed from the beginning.
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN.Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
Old August 16th, 2013, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

I tried going thru the steps above to reset the passlock and still nothing? I'm at a loss.
Old August 16th, 2013, 3:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Does the starter turn over if you jump the terminals on the solenoid?
Old August 17th, 2013, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

I touched a screwdriver across the starter solenoid terminals and there is a whirring noise but still no start. The whirring noise almost sounds like the starter is turning but the starter bendix is not going out to engage. But when I try starting with the key there is no noise at all from under the hood. So at this point I'm not thinking it's a starter issue. Maybe more something with the computer?

Quick Reply: 2009 Equinox won't start after battery disconnnected