Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the dealership that has my vehicle, my dad who is also a mechanic and another dealership said that it did have one. I'm not comfortable putting my VIN # on here, as I've seen no one else do it, so I'll pass on that.......I was just looking for input on this...I don't think if I have issues I'm looking to find out more about I need any credibility.....Why would I lie about it, that's just stupid!! I come from a BIG GM family and when I end up getting rid of this lemon, I plan on getting another GM, just not an Equinox.....
Old May 21st, 2012, 2:26 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ejohn,

I'm sorry to hear of the problems with your Equinox vehicle. I hope your service technician is able to resolve this issue for you.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Please keep us posted of the results from your dealer visit.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 7th, 2012, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Equinox Has Very loud clattering/knocking/rhaspy noises

I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT, I bought it in February of 2011 straight off of the delivery truck, literally drove the very first miles on the car (road miles that is) and shortly after the problems began. The engine runs EXTREMELY rough especially when Idle and when Accellerating. It is a loud clattering, knocking sound that really terrified me when it first began. I immediately took it into the dealership the day after I noticed the noise only to me greeted by technicians who didn't seem like they really cared. They didn't even take my car back to really get a good look at it, they just had my pop the hood in the parking lot of the service place while the car was running and put their ear to the engine and said "oh, that noise? it's normal. It's just the way the engine is designed, it's modeled after the saturn vue and the engine is just turning so quickly that it cause a lot of vibration and noise in the engine box. The box has a very thick layer of padding which should cushion that noise because it is expected." Really? you're going to tell me that because my car is modeled after a different car (that is now discontinued and obviously for a reason) it makes a horrendous noise? Not good enough for me. I called my dad and he came down to the dealer because he knows the guys there VERY well and they told him the same exact thing. My dad seemed to trust the guys so we just accepted it and went on our way. Shortly after that MORE problems. I got in my car from being at the store and the check engine light came on, the car was literrally bouncing up and down and shaing so hard that I was too scared to even drive it, I had it towed home and then paid to have it towed to the dealership closest to my home the next day. (BIG mistake the guy was a JERK so I paid to have it towed AGAIN to the dealership I bought it at) It was at the dealer all day and I was in continuous contact with the service supervisor there all day, first the car had several misfires, then the car would not even shut off when the key was removed from the ignition and a laundry list of all sorts of other terrifying things, after all was said and done all they came out with was that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. So they had me take it home because they had to order the pump and I was to bring it back when the part was in. I refused to drive it because of the terrible shaking so I rented a car. After the fuel pump was replaced and check engine light extinguished the engine rattling only got WORSE! I have now taken the car to the dealership countless times within the last 6 months only to be continuously told that there is nothing wrong. Reading all of these forums I refuse to believe that. There HAS to be something wrong, I am lead further to believe this by the fact that I took my car into the normal shop that I ALWAYS take my car to get my oil changed and this time, they REFUSED to change my oil because when he took the dip stick out there was barely any oil on the stick and the oil that was there was blacker than black and then the HORRIBLE noises coming from the engine. They said they didn't want to be resposible for anything that goes wrong with the car so they politely refused to change my oil. BACK TO DEALERSHIP I WENT. They changed my oil, peeked at the engine, listened a little and then told me again nothig is wrong. I AM FUMING MAD AT THIS POINT AND I CANNOT TRADE THIS CAR TO SAVE MY LIFE! No dealership will take the trade and no one will buy it from me privately because of the noise! I am literrally STUCK! It is extremely embarrassing to be driving this car around with the noises coming from under the hood. I continuosly have people (even strangers) tell me, "Hey there is something wrong with you car, it sound terrible" and all I can say is "I know, tell the dealership that, they seem to be convinced nothing is wrong" it's humiliating. I am a young girl and this is my FIRST american vehicle (I have had all VW's in the past but due to my dad relationship with the dealer in the past he had me convinced this is a good buy) now after selling me the car it seems like the dealership always just wants to rush me out of there. They NEVER document my visits, they only look at it in either the lot or in the entry to the service bay and I can't seem to get an answer. I just want my car to run quietly like all of the other Equinoxes I see out there. I go out of my way to listen to other people Equinoxes to see if it sounds like mine and I always end up fruitless. I Love my car, it's spacious and fully loaded and HAD great gas milage but I unfortunately have a really bad taste in my mouth about it. Someone please provide some insight as to what you have maybe had done that helped. I saw some things like the timing chain, the exhaust cam sensor reprograamming a module of some kind and even just flat out replacing the engine but if the dealers I have gone to keep telling me the same thing how can I get them to try any of these other fixes. HELP!
Old June 8th, 2012, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mandc0143
I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT, I bought it in February of 2011 straight off of the delivery truck, literally drove the very first miles on the car (road miles that is) and shortly after the problems began. The engine runs EXTREMELY rough especially when Idle and when Accellerating. It is a loud clattering, knocking sound that really terrified me when it first began. I immediately took it into the dealership the day after I noticed the noise only to me greeted by technicians who didn't seem like they really cared. They didn't even take my car back to really get a good look at it, they just had my pop the hood in the parking lot of the service place while the car was running and put their ear to the engine and said "oh, that noise? it's normal. It's just the way the engine is designed, it's modeled after the saturn vue and the engine is just turning so quickly that it cause a lot of vibration and noise in the engine box. The box has a very thick layer of padding which should cushion that noise because it is expected." Really? you're going to tell me that because my car is modeled after a different car (that is now discontinued and obviously for a reason) it makes a horrendous noise? Not good enough for me. I called my dad and he came down to the dealer because he knows the guys there VERY well and they told him the same exact thing. My dad seemed to trust the guys so we just accepted it and went on our way. Shortly after that MORE problems. I got in my car from being at the store and the check engine light came on, the car was literrally bouncing up and down and shaing so hard that I was too scared to even drive it, I had it towed home and then paid to have it towed to the dealership closest to my home the next day. (BIG mistake the guy was a JERK so I paid to have it towed AGAIN to the dealership I bought it at) It was at the dealer all day and I was in continuous contact with the service supervisor there all day, first the car had several misfires, then the car would not even shut off when the key was removed from the ignition and a laundry list of all sorts of other terrifying things, after all was said and done all they came out with was that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. So they had me take it home because they had to order the pump and I was to bring it back when the part was in. I refused to drive it because of the terrible shaking so I rented a car. After the fuel pump was replaced and check engine light extinguished the engine rattling only got WORSE! I have now taken the car to the dealership countless times within the last 6 months only to be continuously told that there is nothing wrong. Reading all of these forums I refuse to believe that. There HAS to be something wrong, I am lead further to believe this by the fact that I took my car into the normal shop that I ALWAYS take my car to get my oil changed and this time, they REFUSED to change my oil because when he took the dip stick out there was barely any oil on the stick and the oil that was there was blacker than black and then the HORRIBLE noises coming from the engine. They said they didn't want to be resposible for anything that goes wrong with the car so they politely refused to change my oil. BACK TO DEALERSHIP I WENT. They changed my oil, peeked at the engine, listened a little and then told me again nothig is wrong. I AM FUMING MAD AT THIS POINT AND I CANNOT TRADE THIS CAR TO SAVE MY LIFE! No dealership will take the trade and no one will buy it from me privately because of the noise! I am literrally STUCK! It is extremely embarrassing to be driving this car around with the noises coming from under the hood. I continuosly have people (even strangers) tell me, "Hey there is something wrong with you car, it sound terrible" and all I can say is "I know, tell the dealership that, they seem to be convinced nothing is wrong" it's humiliating. I am a young girl and this is my FIRST american vehicle (I have had all VW's in the past but due to my dad relationship with the dealer in the past he had me convinced this is a good buy) now after selling me the car it seems like the dealership always just wants to rush me out of there. They NEVER document my visits, they only look at it in either the lot or in the entry to the service bay and I can't seem to get an answer. I just want my car to run quietly like all of the other Equinoxes I see out there. I go out of my way to listen to other people Equinoxes to see if it sounds like mine and I always end up fruitless. I Love my car, it's spacious and fully loaded and HAD great gas milage but I unfortunately have a really bad taste in my mouth about it. Someone please provide some insight as to what you have maybe had done that helped. I saw some things like the timing chain, the exhaust cam sensor reprograamming a module of some kind and even just flat out replacing the engine but if the dealers I have gone to keep telling me the same thing how can I get them to try any of these other fixes. HELP!
What region do you live in? Your location.
Old June 28th, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

I too am frustrated with my 2010 Chevy Equinox. My dad worked for general motors for 30 years and our family drove nothing but chevy's. I've had chevy trucks and other vehicles and was so excited to get the Equinox but now am stuck with a vehicle that will be short lived.

A car that was supposed to be able to run for 10,000 miles between oil changes yet after driving for just a few thousand miles it needs a quart of oil. The engine has an awful pinging sound and idles terrible and stalls out from time to time.

I have it to two different dealerships and they all say the same thing. The ping sound is normal. Why can no one tell me why it burns so much oil? I now have over 77,000 miles on it and no way to trade it in and no warranty it's just a matter of time.

After being a loyal chevy user my whole life...it's sad to say but I'm going to look elsewhere in the future. An honest manufacturer would admit a problem and deal with it...but they choose to sweep it under the rug. It's more than a coincidence that so many people are experiencing the same problems.
Old June 29th, 2012, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by eventsman
I too am frustrated with my 2010 Chevy Equinox. My dad worked for general motors for 30 years and our family drove nothing but chevy's. I've had chevy trucks and other vehicles and was so excited to get the Equinox but now am stuck with a vehicle that will be short lived.

A car that was supposed to be able to run for 10,000 miles between oil changes yet after driving for just a few thousand miles it needs a quart of oil. The engine has an awful pinging sound and idles terrible and stalls out from time to time.

I have it to two different dealerships and they all say the same thing. The ping sound is normal. Why can no one tell me why it burns so much oil? I now have over 77,000 miles on it and no way to trade it in and no warranty it's just a matter of time.

After being a loyal chevy user my whole life...it's sad to say but I'm going to look elsewhere in the future. An honest manufacturer would admit a problem and deal with it...but they choose to sweep it under the rug. It's more than a coincidence that so many people are experiencing the same problems.
that's exactly it - that they won't assume responsibility for this flaw and they're flat out lying to everyone because they know for sure it's not right. I will keep my 2010 Camaro forever, but when it's time to car shop in 2 years, I'll be looking at non-GM vehicles for the first time ever. Had plans of paying the Equinox off and keeping it as a new family vehicle for a while but will now just be trading it before it's paid off probably. Sad.

I recently took ours in for an oil change after about 2750 miles only because we were about to take it on a long road trip and I didn't want to have to deal with a dry dipstick, and supposedly it wasn't low according to the service department. With the way they're BSing everyone about this car/engine I can't even believe them in confidence to be honest.

The other day I was in a parking lot and a new shiny Equinox pulled up and the engine sounded horrible. I can't even believe they manufacture something that sounds so clunky and old. That's the real bizarre thing to me.
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

I too own a 2010 Equinox with the same problems you all have described. I noticed that my car began making this tapping/clicking noise within the 1st year of ownership. I have noticed that it has gotten louder since. I have also noticed that my gas mileage has declined as well. It makes no difference if I use the ECO option or not, I do not get the same mpg that I did when I first bought it. I changed the air filter, kept my tires correctly inflated....yada, yada, yada. Fortunately, a good friend of mine owns an automotive repair shop and I mentioned all of these symptoms to him and he said it sounded like I might have a timing chain issue. So today I drove over to my local GM dealership and told them what I have explained above...also, mentioning what my friend said and told them that I wanted them to check my car to see if anything is wrong with my timing chain. Low and behold.....about 20-30 minutes later they came back and told me that my car needs a new timing chain, new guides and valves. All this for a car that has only 23,000 miles on it. I have changed the oil regularly, taken good care of it, and THIS is what I get in return!!!!! Needless to say I will probably be getting my car back tomorrow and we will be car hunting again....and it won't be replaced with a GM product!!! Hope this helps. I recommend that you go to the GM dealership and ask them to check your timing chain. Good Luck.
Old July 19th, 2012, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

Can you ask the dealers to clear this out.Its their duty.If they are not willing for that then try to change your dealership.I just want to here the output after resolving it.
Old July 25th, 2012, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

My 2010 Equinox is at the dealership now , they are replacing the head and checking the valves. It was running ruff and stalling at stops.
Old July 27th, 2012, 2:14 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:CustomDocumentProperties> <o:HTML dt:dt="boolean">1</o:HTML> <oocumentEncoding dt:dt="string">utf-8</oocumentEncoding> </o:CustomDocumentProperties> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Please, let us know any updates about your Equinox. I hope they are able to get the vehicle in tip top shape.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service assisting Louis

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay