Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2014, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if 2014 has the problem but welcome to HELL
Old April 14th, 2014, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Equinox is a junk!!!

I had the same problems and still do. First of all, if anyone is thinking of buying an Equinox, DON'T!!!! I bought a NEW 2011 in October of 2010. My story with this car is so long, I'll keep it short. The rattling noise was always there but when I brought it to the dealer, they said it was normal. Well it stopped being normal when my car literally stopped in the highway with my then infant daughter. I brought the car in and the dealer said it was the camshaft. Not long after that, the car kept stalling and it shut off again in a parking lot. Both times I notified GM and all they could do was have me bring the car to the dealer. Because it was under warranty, they covered everything. But I didn't want them to fix my car, I wanted a new one.. How could this be. A brand new car and having engine problems. After bringing my vehicle in for the same problems more than 4 times, I decided to file for the lemon law in New Hampshire. Of course, GM has a last repair attempt a week prior to the arbitration. So my husband and I go and to my surprise, they acknowledge there was significant things done to the vehicle but because at the present time they test drove the car, they couldn't duplicate my concerns, they ruled in favor of GM. What disgust me the most was that the GM engineer didn't even know how to explain what was wrong with the vehicle. He also acknowledged that there was a problem with the equinox and that GM was replacing engines but since it was costly, decided to just rebuilt engines!!! One of the arbitrators actually told him he needs to be better prepared for next time... REALLY!!! The GM lawyer and the arbitrators were talking like they were all buddies. So now my car has 74K miles and the whole AC system is gone!! I have to pay $1,300 to have the AC condenser and compressor changed. Oh and they are also changing the exhaust manifold which they have changed prior. This vehicle is junk!!! I had so much faith in GM but after this, I recommend no one buys this vehicle. And to top it off, GM would not even try to buy this car back and get it off the road. They are probably waiting for a couple of innocent lives to be lost to do something about it. I ask that now that GM is under investigation for other vehicles, they look into the Equinox too!! Some of the problems I've had: camshaft actuator valves replaced 3 times, water pump replaced 2 times, timing belt replaced 2 times, the pistons, exhaust manifold, my engine was rebuilt and issues still persist, they put a fuel pump isolator so I wouldn't hear the noise, oil consumption, dark transmission fluid. Avoid the headaches, loss of wages, loss of money, loss of time and avoid putting your family at risk; just keep away from GM.

Last edited by cr2014; April 14th, 2014 at 9:20 AM.
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2010 Equinox

Just adding my two cents worth. Thankfully nothing horrific has happened, but I am experiencing the same exact rattle as mentioned in all the previous responses. Mostly on surface streets, and more when the car is accelerated. Just sent a note to customer service at GM, but i think it will take more than that to get the problem fixed. It is too bad, but this will probably be my last Chevy.
Old April 19th, 2014, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2013 Equinox which has been in for idling issues twice and my car is still idling rough and trying to stall. I also have that strange noise coming from underneath my car. I'm very disappointed that this newer car runs worse than my old 1998 Ford. I'm in the market to buy another car. I was interested in the Malibu but not anymore. When my car was in for service for the idling issue I was given a loaner which was a Malibu. It was a brand new Malibu and it almost stalled.
Old April 24th, 2014, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Equinox Terrible Car

I don't know whether to be relieved that I am not the only one having these issues or depressed that I apparently bought the worst car ever. I bought my car in late 2010 with around 20k miles on it and paid more for the extended bumper to bumper warranty (THANK GOD!) I think it ran well for about 4 months. Then I started getting the weird sound and received something in the mail explaining the recall. I called my dealership and they said unless the check engine light was on they couldn't do anything. So I had to keep driving - it kept getting worse and worse, would completely shut off when I made full stops etc.. finally the light came on so I was able to bring it in!!! They fixed the problem - tried to charge me full price until I continually told them to check my account because I had a warranty and it was part of a recall! Then it happened again! Brought it in they did a oil change and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and gave it back after 3 days!!! Now same thing is happening. I need an oil change - but only 100 miles over. And it has shut off on me twice today, sounds TERRIBLE when I start it and when I am driving sounds like it is going to fall into pieces. Then when I start to stop it will actually jerk foward - so dangerous! We are supposed to go out of town this weekend and not sure if we can because of the car(second time that has happened) My husband has a 1996 truck that has proven it self more reliable then my car. So now - rather than bring it to the dealership and not have a car for the next 3 days I am going to bring somewhere for an oil change and cross my fingers that will magically fix the problem. I have never ever had as many problems with a car in my 14 years of driving as I have with this terrible piece of junk. Can't wait to get rid of it. Bravo Cheverolet ... bravo
Old April 25th, 2014, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Call a GM Rep instead of only dealing with the dealer. Tell the dealer don't send any surveys because youll give them zero across the board. Not the rep can do much but the dealer doesn't like it. All dealers sound the same. Good luck and welcome to hell.
Old May 1st, 2014, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,

I have a 2010 Equinox LT and still have to turn in to GM my receipt for changing out a broken timing chain guide that failed. The kit was from the dealership and I had a local mechanic do the work. At that time the engine made a lot of noise that got louder and louder and louder. GM has a creative solution to having a quick access port for changing the upper bolt on the guide. That was in the late fall.

The engine currently has a bit of a rattle as it always did which is what most people here are complaining about. I am an engineer and believe that there are solutions to everything. What solutions are out there? What is the issue related to?

Thanks,

Anthony
Old May 1st, 2014, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

there are a few easy checks that can be made for a fast idle...
check your IAC idle air control valve...
how many RPM
Old May 1st, 2014, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

did they ever get back to you...
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Anthony,

I'm sorry to hear of this concern with your Equinox. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to look further into this for you. Please feel free to send us a private message including your VIN if we can be of any assistance. We look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay