Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2014, 8:47 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi KarenLS,

We are happy to hear the dealership was able to assist in a resolution. We do appreciate your feedback and have documented your concerns within our database. If you require additional assistance in the future, we are happy to help!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by KarenLS
Amber, the dealership finally came through today so at least for now I don't need any assistance with this issue.

Diagnostics showed a P0011 and P0014 error, listed as intake and exhaust cam actuator valves sticking. Both were replaced. The engine runs ok now. On star diagnostics had given me a completely different code, P0324 having to do with knock sensors but the dealership said they did not find an issue there.

On a side note I have to say I really hate going to the dealership because of the constant upsell "maintenance" that they push. I realize that is where they make their profits and I want to maintain my car but they tried to push another $600 in maintenance. The part that makes me feel they are scamming with it was telling me that it's recommended that at 30,000 miles you do a fuel line and transmission flush and I was due at 38,000 miles. I fell for that one at 28,000 miles and with research after the fact I found it was totally unnecessary. They were trying to push it again, didn't even bother to look at the maintenance history on my car.

They gave me a letter from the service manager asking me to call her if I can't give them a "completely satisfied" rating on the satisfaction survey. She'll be hearing from me about this and a few other issues on Monday.

Only other issue is with GM, not the dealership. The rubber flap covering the hatch release is wearing and torn. It doesn't get that much use so should have held up much longer. I thought I could get the rubber replaced for a reasonable fee and was planning to do that to avoid any damage to the latch from moisture. I was told they can't replace the rubber, it would be $162 because they had to remove the interior trim and replace the entire latch assembly. No thanks, a small piece of electrical tape or duct tape will seal that tear just fine.
Old August 19th, 2014, 8:50 AM
Official GM Rep

Hi jrendsley,

We apologize for the frustration caused by this situation, and we would be happy to contact your dealership and work with them towards a resolution. Please send us a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership so we may help. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by jrendsley
I also have a 2012 Chevy Equinox, I have experienced the issue with the engine sounding like a noisy lawnmower, scratch that....... my lawnmower sounds better that my piece @@@ Chevy vehicle. I have also had issues with the transmission jumping while driving it. Its been at the dealer for the last couple of days and they said for it having real low miles that the tranny fluid should not be extremely dark, NO Crap, that there going to send it over to the transmission guy. Well to come to find out that the transmission is actually normal from what they say because Chevy puts in, gets this LOL, a "Rust Inhibitor" that causes the fluid to turn that dark. WRONG Im not a idiot and I have been working on and building cars my entire life. They use a Dexron 6 in there transmissions now which is a synthetic/oil blend. These guys are completely idiots and will do anything to not fix a car under warranty. I have been a Chevy guy since the day I have been driving and since this vehicle and my Duramax I will NO LONGER be owning another Chevy as long as I live. Im sooooo disappointed in them and I will take my business else were. I just wish they would be honest and fix the damn thing so My wife and New son are safe in her Equinox I bought her.
Old August 20th, 2014, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jessica,

Thank you for the responding to my concerns on here. I didn't expect that and its nice to see some concern of service of my matter. I dont know if you can do much for me but I refuse to take the vehicle back to that dealer ship. I will get in contact with.

Last edited by jrendsley; August 20th, 2014 at 9:16 AM.
Old August 20th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by jrendsley
Jessica,

Thank you for the responding to my concerns on here. I didn't expect that and its nice to see some concern of service of my matter. I dont know if you can do much for me but I refuse to take the vehicle back to that dealer ship. I will get in contact with.
Hi jrendsley! We've received your private message and will be responding shortly. We look forward to working through this with you. Talk to you soon.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem. Purchased Equinox 2010 AWD from Carmax.

I did not notice the rattling sound until I started the engine using the remote.

This became worst everyday.

Today its at Hendrick Chevrolet in Hoover, Alabama. I was told it was the Exhaust manifold leaking and have to change the manifold gasket and the converter gasket.

Any experience like this?
Old August 30th, 2014, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default engine issue

Well I took it to a mechanic shop to get a second opinion and my conclusion was correct it was the top end of the engine like I thought and the rockers making noise. The guy told me that it does sound noisey but since it's not broke the dealer won't fix it even though they should since it can lead to issue later. He also told me that I recommend that in the future not to purchase one of these vehicles since he sees a lot of them with the same issues from all years
Old October 6th, 2014, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ Engine noise

When I start my 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ I get a loud noise that comes from the engine and lasts only about 5 seconds and goes away. I brought it to Premier Chevrolet in Brooklyn CT about 5 months ago and they told me that this noise was normal but I can't imagine Chevy would put out a vehicle that when you start it makes everyone look at you in the parking lot. I've had nothing but issues with this vehicle. First my timing chain went at about 55K miles and I have a feeling there were other issues because they made a comment about "I bet your vehicle hasn't been riding right for awhile." All along I've had this issue with the engine noise and it just doesn't seem right to me thus why I'm reaching out. Also, I've been told by Premier Chevrolet that my vehicle will naturally go through about a quart of oil per 1,000 miles therefore I need to put oil in my car on a frequent basis. I've never known a vehicle to eat of that much oil before. I've had Toyotas and Lexus' prior to this and have never had issues or had to put that much oil in a vehicle before. My compressor has also gone to crap and couldn't use my A/C all summer and they told me that's not something covered under my 100,000 miles warranty. My vehicle has about 80,000 miles on it and I shouldn't be having this many issues with a vehicle that's about 5 years old. Anyone one else having this many issues with their 2010 Equinox because I'm about to go back to buying Foreign.
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by jdoom80
When I start my 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ I get a loud noise that comes from the engine and lasts only about 5 seconds and goes away. I brought it to Premier Chevrolet in Brooklyn CT about 5 months ago and they told me that this noise was normal but I can't imagine Chevy would put out a vehicle that when you start it makes everyone look at you in the parking lot. I've had nothing but issues with this vehicle. First my timing chain went at about 55K miles and I have a feeling there were other issues because they made a comment about "I bet your vehicle hasn't been riding right for awhile." All along I've had this issue with the engine noise and it just doesn't seem right to me thus why I'm reaching out. Also, I've been told by Premier Chevrolet that my vehicle will naturally go through about a quart of oil per 1,000 miles therefore I need to put oil in my car on a frequent basis. I've never known a vehicle to eat of that much oil before. I've had Toyotas and Lexus' prior to this and have never had issues or had to put that much oil in a vehicle before. My compressor has also gone to crap and couldn't use my A/C all summer and they told me that's not something covered under my 100,000 miles warranty. My vehicle has about 80,000 miles on it and I shouldn't be having this many issues with a vehicle that's about 5 years old. Anyone one else having this many issues with their 2010 Equinox because I'm about to go back to buying Foreign.
We hate to hear you feel this way based on your experience, jdoom80. Please let us know if we can further investigate this matter or reach out to Premier Chevrolet for you. Send us your VIN and contact information via private message if we can assist.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 13th, 2014, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Disappointed Equinox owner

I just got my equinox 1 1/2 years ago and I have had to take it to the shop twice. My vehicle had to have a major repair done on it. My entire engine had to be taken apart, because my car was not keeping oil in it. My engine was burning oil like I had a old vehicle. Come to find out it is bad pistons. Now my panel (where my heat and radio) is flickering and doing something crazy and now my car will not start. It's done this in a two week period and I called one of the local dealership and they are telling me that they will charge me $89 just to tell me if it is a problem that was there fault during the time it was in the shop or this is something new. It is very disappointing when you have to constantly take your car in for repairs instead of enjoying it. The crazy thing is I don't even have 75000 miles on it. I wish I would of thought this through before getting this vehicle. Now I can't take it back as I am stuck with a car that can give me trouble now and later.

Last edited by tenemcdonald; October 13th, 2014 at 9:54 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

Hello again, I've been here before. So I've continued to add more and more oil on a regular basis.

Last weekend I took the 2010 Equinox LT 2.4L in because I received a letter that states that some vehicles may have a condition where it consumes extra oil between oil changes. As I've been doing. I even keep a jug in the back. The 2.4L always sounds raspy and loses power often.

I take it to the dealership and they begin the oil consumption test. Showing that they topped off the oil.

I didn't personally check their work at the time because I trusted what they were doing was correct.

I personally just checked the oil 250 miles later (1 week) and the oil level is very high on the stick.

So this is supposed to be an oil consumption test...
And if it starts high... and the vehicles would consume x amount of oil, now it has to consume x amount plus 2 quarts.

This an invalid test and I have to question why they would start it so high.

And I have to question why the salesman who said he was going to send a quotation to me never got back to me on what a trade in value would be.

And I have to question why two phone calls to the warranty person in finance there were never returned.

And I have to question why when I stopped at the dealership yesterday to state that the oil is overfilled, that I was told to come back at the end of 1,000 miles and was blown off.

Unacceptable.

Advice anyone...?

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay