Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2014, 4:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overfill during Oil Consumption Testing

I had same experience with overfilling during an oil consumption test. it was impossible to tell how much extra was added but it was well over top of dipstick top mark. I do not think it was intentional and service manager just said 1/8 quart over. I think it was much more but could not challenge standing in the service yard and late for a business lunch so I let it pass unchallenged. My error.
Old November 18th, 2014, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rattling noise in 2010 Equinox

I too have heard this rattling since I got equinox brand new with 15 miles on it. Before the bumper to bumper was up in March 2014 I took it in for excessive oil consumption, a whining noise and the rattling noise in engine bay. They replaced water pump and told me they thought the AC was leaking but couldnt find anything so if something happened I could bring it back in and they would cover it under the warranty. Well I just took it in and they are telling me it will cost $1400 to fix my AC compressor, which they should have fixed when I took it in under warranty. Now my car is in the service department and I don't have the $1400 to cover the cost to repair. I feel so upset!! They are charging me a few hundred dollars to put my car back together with bad parts. I also discovered my manual shifter doesnt engage, which I have never used and they want $680 to fix that one. So UPSET!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 equinox v6

I have a question

I have a 2010 equinox v6, and put in the shop for an oil leak which was covered under the powertrain warranty, turned out to be the front main seal, and a new timing chain gasket. got the car back on a Monday, and the neck Saturday my wife was driving it, and made a left turn, and she said she heard something fall out from under the car. she said immediately the engine light came on. I told her to go back to that location and look for anything that may have fallen out. she did, and found a wrenc...upon making it home I checked the car out, and at an idle it sounded like a diesel. so we put the car back in and they said (gm) not their wrench, and the rattleing is the pcv valve is malfunctioned, and allowing oil into the catalytic converter.....im at a loss...I think a wrench was left somewhere when they worked on it, and this caused the problem.....what do you think ?
Old December 22nd, 2014, 8:22 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesgross
I have a question

I have a 2010 equinox v6, and put in the shop for an oil leak which was covered under the powertrain warranty, turned out to be the front main seal, and a new timing chain gasket. got the car back on a Monday, and the neck Saturday my wife was driving it, and made a left turn, and she said she heard something fall out from under the car. she said immediately the engine light came on. I told her to go back to that location and look for anything that may have fallen out. she did, and found a wrenc...upon making it home I checked the car out, and at an idle it sounded like a diesel. so we put the car back in and they said (gm) not their wrench, and the rattleing is the pcv valve is malfunctioned, and allowing oil into the catalytic converter.....im at a loss...I think a wrench was left somewhere when they worked on it, and this caused the problem.....what do you think ?

Welcome to the forum
What kind of wrench are we talking about? crescent, box end? reason I ask as most likely the wrench was already on the street and it may have been ran over by your wife and the turning action and being a front wheel drive the wrench was most likely thrown up by the turned wheel into the engine... a falling wrench just would not have the force needed...
The condition of the wrench would also tell you a lot, if its pockmarked up with asphalt scratches and dings that is a big indicator too...

Now back to your dilemma, so they are trying to sell you a new catalytic converter due to oil contamination? if it was that short of a trip after the incident I don't see how it could be that clogged up so quickly...
If you do decide to have the cat replaced tell them to give the old one to you You can sell that sucker to a scrap metal place for $$$ yes some used catalytic converters are worth a couple hundred dollars...
Old January 5th, 2015, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Issues Galore

Issues Galore
Can’t believe I read all these pages on this thread and I have had most of the same issues. Purchased this in December 2010 and was first brought in the next month for the first of many issues.
For the last year my nox has been burning oil like crazy. Generally at 3000km the vehicle will run so rough it feels like to your sitting in a message chair. When it reaches 3500km there is no oil in it at all. The oil life percentage on the vehicle dash would be at 55% or 60%. We have had two instances where the engine light came on and when at traffic light the vehicle would shut off. Had it towed to the dealer repaired the issue and then in 2 months same thing would happen and then it would be a different issue.
Just had an oil change done 3700km ago and now topping it up with fresh oil as it is bone dry. Was recommended that I had new plugs installed and now this happens again. Don’t know what to do with this thing anymore after paying $40000.00 this is just not fair.
I’m a first timer to this site and never knew this existed, thought I would add this.

Hope everyone learns from this. God Bless
Old January 6th, 2015, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

good luck

my truck is constantly smelling like burned oil inside. i got a letter from GM not so long ago about eligibility for repair if oil consumption is not within their normal standards. im going to try it out and see what happens. I got a letter about extension on warranty for steering sticking and another letter extending warranty for excessive oil consumption. they covering up to 193000km. im going to give the truck another oil consumption test and see how it goes. just wondering if anyone else got similar letters? if not call in GM Support ASAP and request it.
Old January 6th, 2015, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Velcomrob-
I got all three letters. Actually just came back from a GM certified service place because my car was yet again running rough, noise, shaking, you know the whole 9 yards. Was greeted by a rude service man that told me if i didn't have an appointment then i was out of luck because they were backed up with other cars (with probably the same problems as all of us!). This would be my 7th trip taking the car in for all this and everytime I was told "it's fixed and if you receive a survey from us please rate us 5 stars." I never received a survey for them, but 5 stars would be far from what I'd rate them. When is this nightmare ever going to end? I traded in an older car with problems, to get a newer car with more problems! I'm at my wits end and don't know what else I can do.
Old January 6th, 2015, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dear Nano

Originally Posted by nanos81
Issues Galore
Can’t believe I read all these pages on this thread and I have had most of the same issues. Purchased this in December 2010 and was first brought in the next month for the first of many issues.
For the last year my nox has been burning oil like crazy. Generally at 3000km the vehicle will run so rough it feels like to your sitting in a message chair. When it reaches 3500km there is no oil in it at all. The oil life percentage on the vehicle dash would be at 55% or 60%. We have had two instances where the engine light came on and when at traffic light the vehicle would shut off. Had it towed to the dealer repaired the issue and then in 2 months same thing would happen and then it would be a different issue.
Just had an oil change done 3700km ago and now topping it up with fresh oil as it is bone dry. Was recommended that I had new plugs installed and now this happens again. Don’t know what to do with this thing anymore after paying $40000.00 this is just not fair.
I’m a first timer to this site and never knew this existed, thought I would add this.

Hope everyone learns from this. God Bless

Dear Nano,

I just dropped off my 2010 today for the replacement of the piston rings. You should get to a reputable dealership. Begin taking an oil consumption test. At the beginning of the test, be sure to do a check of the oil yourself when you are there to be sure that the oil level is to the mark and not overfilled.
It's under warranty...

xsdogstar
Old January 7th, 2015, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pmany0324
Velcomrob-
I got all three letters. Actually just came back from a GM certified service place because my car was yet again running rough, noise, shaking, you know the whole 9 yards. Was greeted by a rude service man that told me if i didn't have an appointment then i was out of luck because they were backed up with other cars (with probably the same problems as all of us!). This would be my 7th trip taking the car in for all this and everytime I was told "it's fixed and if you receive a survey from us please rate us 5 stars." I never received a survey for them, but 5 stars would be far from what I'd rate them. When is this nightmare ever going to end? I traded in an older car with problems, to get a newer car with more problems! I'm at my wits end and don't know what else I can do.
hey pman

what 3 letters did you get?

I got only 2.

Sticking steering
oil consumption

what other one is available?

thanks!

trade the car in perhaps at a non-GM dealership or something cause repairing the engine later on will probably cost 3-6k.
Old March 6th, 2015, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gas smell in cabin of Equinox

I believe I have the problem where the gas is leaking into my oil.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
The invitation to private message is open to all experiencing this concern, bigtom.

Best,
Sarah (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay