Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2015, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Smell when starting up

See my attached picture. Manifold is cracked. Even my local Chevy dealer says this would never happen. Well it did.

I filed a claim with GM but I haven not heard back from them. I don't like my wife, unborn child, and myself sucking in exhaust fumes all day long. However, GM doesn't care that this is happening to many people Clearly there is a problem with this part. This is the third major problem I have had with this car in a year, including an entire engine rebuild.

Life long GM fan boy, but I do not know how I can suggest this car with this engine to anyone, anymore.

Originally Posted by greencat
I already went the private message route and got the bad news that the exhaust manifold is covered under the emission warranty instead of powertrain.

That was the final straw. In 40 years of owning a car I have never had a cracked exhaust manifold. The powertrain warranty says Manifolds are covered but the person in the private message said no.

There are too many major problems with the equinox for me to ever buy GM again. Add the problems with the ignition switch and I question how they stand behind their products.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay-imagejpeg_0.jpg  
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 2011 Euqinox exhaust manifold crack

Bought 2011 Equinox new 10/23/2010. Noticed after a few months the car was getting louder. Within the last year I had instances of the car completely shutting off when I would push the gas to go after a stop light or stop sign (very dangerous). Took to dealership and was told there was nothing they could do because they could not "recreate" the problem. Continued to get louder and louder. Told the sound was normal. Car cut off a couple more times in the past few months and is very loud. Took to dealership yesterday and without even properly checking the engine pulled it in the garage (no one looked under the hood) and came in giving me a quote for $455 to replace the exhaust manifold which they said has a "significant" crack. Why is this not a recall? I have seen hundreds of posts and information on social media reporting this same or similar problems? Also, why wouldn't they have check the exhaust manifold when I first brought the problems to their attention?
Old March 21st, 2016, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Well I see that since 2011 the issue has not been resolved. I have a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox and when accelerating I have a rattle or knocking noise in the engine. This of course only happens when it's seller rating below 30 miles per hour. The dealership says this is normal but up until last week I never had a problem. I have 72000 miles on my car comma have normal maintenance done on schedule. And it entreat my car as a baby. I have taken my car in 5 times in the last week and each time they say it's normal. Without of course connecting it to any machine
Old May 8th, 2016, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

I myself have the same issue with my 2010 Chevy Equinox and the really loud engine noise. Seems that so many people are experiencing this type of issue with these vehicles that Chevy would be more than happy to look into this matter and fix whatever is causing this issue.

A company should always stand behind their product and make absolute sure that customer satisfaction is their main priority since their commercials advertise such claims.
There is obviously something wrong with these vehicles that causes it to produce such loud sounds, and I highly doubt the appropriate answer to give all their customers is that it is normal for this vehicle. As much money as customers spend on a major company such as this and with the amount of trust we as your clients place into your advertisments I would assume when a major issue such as this comes about then your company would be extremely greatful to assist in everyway possible and fix this issue without further charging your customers.

If at all possible I would love to discuss this issue more personally my email address is jasoncurtis7439@yahoo.com

Regards,
Jason Curtis

Last edited by jasoncurtis7439@yahoo.com; May 8th, 2016 at 4:32 PM.
Old May 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

I just got off the phone with my dealer and the same issue with my 2010 Equinox. To me it has always sounded a little loud, but lately it was much worse at startup and I have noticed the smell.

I have had enough with this car and I will be getting rid of it soon. The quality in this car is terrible and I am not confident driving it much longer. Repairs just keep adding up and it is rusting away.

Since owning this vehicle I have replaced the engine, replaced timing belts 3x, muffler, fuel pump, air conditioner compressor, etc. The list just goes on.....It only has 167K KM's.
Old May 15th, 2016, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default Had to buy a new car on the way to vacation

Closest thread I could find...We had a 2010 Equinox and bought it used. It was a great car...for a while. We have had so much work done to the car, including some recalls, so other items, just bought new tires, a new battery (because it kept being COMPLETELY dead), and just had a 23 point inspection. On our way to vacation, going up a hill, it started running extremely rough, and then the check engine light and the stabilitrack lights came on. We pulled over and contacted onstar. They said we needed to get it checked within 7 days, that it was the emissions system. We made it as far as we could for the night, with it shifting horribly and running extremely rough, and finally brought it in to a dealership along the way. Within 15 min they told us we needed a new engine. This is a life changer for us. We needed to make a decision quick to get my whole family to vacation. We ended up having to buy a new SUV and rolling over many thousands of dollars in negative equity that will haunt us for the next 6 years. We had no idea GM had made such a poor vehicle. This horrendous joke is on us.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 3:38 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Raspy rattle in engin of my equinox

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
The invitation to private message is open to all experiencing this concern, bigtom.

Best,
Sarah (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
How can I get Chevrolet to fix this issue since it's an ongoing problem and thousands have the same complaint? Please help. I have had Pistons replaced and all of that but still sounds horrible!
Old September 12th, 2016, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2010 equinox that has given me problems since the begining. My fixes include timing chain,transmission, engine and most recent my cadilac converter all in the span of pass 3yrs, as it stands now the vehicle only has 104k on it, and just when i thought there was nothing else to fix....wrong. Now my vehicle everytime i start it, it makes the worst start up sound, i call it a hard start, supper loud, rattling like a diesel engine, after about 60sec it goes back to normal idle, but when you put it in gear and accelerate the rattling noise contiunes. Some people tell me exhaust leak, but after reading all these post i have no clue. Anyone help please, will take any suggestions
Old December 24th, 2017, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

It's something even a Dealer "tech" could do
Old December 25th, 2017, 5:36 AM
rvj
CF Beginner

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay