Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Old May 10th, 2012, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just traded in my wife's 2010 Chevy Equinox for 2012 Ford Edge. What an upgrade!! I got the Edge with V6, sync, my touch etc. NOTHING rattles on this car. Equinox had a rattle inside and out the from the first day, which the dealership couldn't fix. Fitment of body panels and interior on the Edge is superior. Equinox had a bit of cheapness feel for a $35K+ car. I get 2 year free maintenance service from the Ford dealership which Chevy did not offer. Equinox was a big disappointment for me and my wife. We did not want to drive the car after a month or so. Ford Edge has been everything we wanted. Quiet, Comfy ride with plenty of high-tech options. I will never buy another GM/Chevy.
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. Not to rain on your parade, though, but I'm worried about the longevity of Ford's V6 based on their track record. Don't be a stranger and let us know how you make out down the road.
Old May 11th, 2012, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the update Hash. I as well am looking into trading my 2010 Nox and will defiantly look at the Edge when i'm test driving. All I can say is, It will not be a Chevy/Gm. Sorry but this has been nothing but a disappointment for me and it is time to move on.

Regards

Originally Posted by Hashbrownn
Just traded in my wife's 2010 Chevy Equinox for 2012 Ford Edge. What an upgrade!! I got the Edge with V6, sync, my touch etc. NOTHING rattles on this car. Equinox had a rattle inside and out the from the first day, which the dealership couldn't fix. Fitment of body panels and interior on the Edge is superior. Equinox had a bit of cheapness feel for a $35K+ car. I get 2 year free maintenance service from the Ford dealership which Chevy did not offer. Equinox was a big disappointment for me and my wife. We did not want to drive the car after a month or so. Ford Edge has been everything we wanted. Quiet, Comfy ride with plenty of high-tech options. I will never buy another GM/Chevy.
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Hashbrownn
Greetings all, new member here.
I bought a 2010 Equinox for my wife in summer of 2010, and I've always noticed a slight raspy rattle (something like two metal plates vibrating against each other) from the engine bay, and it gets louder as I press down on the accelerator. At first, I thought it was something like the heat shield vibrating. The Equinox has about 37K miles on it. I took it in for an oil change today at Dick Shirley Chevy in Burlington NC, and asked about the raspy rattle that I been hearing. The service adviser told me that it was coming from the injectors and all the Equinox make that sound? I personally think this is BS, and they were trying to get me out of there. Do any of you other Equinox owners hear the same noise I am referring to? Any advice or information would be helpful.

Regards,
Hashbrownn
I have had the same issue with mine, I was first told that it was a spark knock, then that there was some sort of timing sensor was bad and they took the entire head off the engine to replace it, then my timing chain was bad (which they replaced), they've just had to replace all the valves in the engine and it is currently in the shop for them to replace the secondary timing chain. One problem after another with this vehicle......I plan on getting rid of it as soon as I can!! Coming from a family of loyal GM customers (my mom just bought a 2012 denali, my dad has 2 Hummers, impala, and multiple antique gm cars) And that's all I've ever owned as well, I can honestly say after this vehicle I may be changing my thinking on GM. They've covered the repairs under the warranty, but who wants to keep a car that has less than 50,000 miles on it and the engine has been taken apart and rebuilt 4-5 times.....not this girl, especially after the warranty runs out......
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Welcome to the forum. I sincerely hope you don't mean to that, "plan on getting rid of it." You'll just be doing someone (the next owner) a huge favor by eating the depreciation. The timing chain failures are because they kind of underestimated the oil change interval on the V6. Your other issues followed from that. If you don't exceed ~5,000 miles between oil changes, you'll be fine here on out.
Old May 18th, 2012, 4:10 AM
CF Beginner

Same issues here only the 3 dealerships I took my car to said nothing was wrong over and over. So, I traded my car in yesterday and got the new Mazda CX-5 and will never be a Chevy/GM owner again. I went as high up as to speak to the regional director with GM and he flat out told me that I could pay for a diagnostic even though I had taken my car in to them 7+ times for the same issue but since "no codes were thrown" by their "useless mechanics" everytime I'd go in. And that was after my car completely died in the middle of the highway. I could go on and on about my problems with my Equinox but I'm just SO glad to be out of that car and in to something much better. Get out of yours now before it's too late. I think all the dealerships & consumers are figuring out how big of a piece of crap they are too.
Old May 18th, 2012, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

I don't have a V6 it's a 4 cyl and I've have the oil changed every 3,000 miles ever since I had it, I don't think the oil changes had anything to do with it. There are a LOT of other people that are having similiar problems with this vehicle........
Old May 18th, 2012, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

who cares what you think/say about GM?? No one here. Mazda CX-5's have problems as well, or did you just go buy one with out research..probably bought the Mazda because of "ZOOM-ZOOM" LOL. See Ya!
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ejohn
I don't have a V6 it's a 4 cyl and I've have the oil changed every 3,000 miles ever since I had it, I don't think the oil changes had anything to do with it. There are a LOT of other people that are having similiar problems with this vehicle........
You said "it is currently in the shop for them to replace the secondary timing chain." There's no "secondary timing chain" in a 4-cylinder engine, i.e., Ecotec. Not to question your credibility but care to post your VIN?
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tabbucat
Same issues here only the 3 dealerships I took my car to said nothing was wrong over and over. So, I traded my car in yesterday and got the new Mazda CX-5 and will never be a Chevy/GM owner again. I went as high up as to speak to the regional director with GM and he flat out told me that I could pay for a diagnostic even though I had taken my car in to them 7+ times for the same issue but since "no codes were thrown" by their "useless mechanics" everytime I'd go in. And that was after my car completely died in the middle of the highway. I could go on and on about my problems with my Equinox but I'm just SO glad to be out of that car and in to something much better. Get out of yours now before it's too late. I think all the dealerships & consumers are figuring out how big of a piece of crap they are too.
Congrats.) It's the particular vehicle and not the manufacturer that's a crap-shoot nowadays. Let's hope you have better luck. Don't be a stranger and let us know how you make out down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay