Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2012, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Equinox engine problems

Today I had to take my equinox back to the dealership for the 4th time with engine problems. So far this is what I have had repaired up until today:
at 52,000 miles had to have the cylinder heads, timing chains, timing guides and camshaft solenoids replaced. At 53,000 had to replace the high pressure (forward) fuel pump. At 57,000 replace the exhaust cam actuator and solenoid. Today at 61,000 the are replacing the ECU, don't think this is going to help with the rattling valves though....Trying to figure out what the next step is going to be.

Last edited by fredallen; December 21st, 2012 at 1:03 PM. Reason: Wrong year of vehicle
Old December 30th, 2012, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 2010 Equinox sounds real raspy and this morning i checked out the oil level and there was no oil on the dip stick. It doesnt seem to have the power it used to.
Old December 31st, 2012, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Excessive Oil Consumption found this...
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badBlueSS
Our 2010 Equinox sounds real raspy and this morning i checked out the oil level and there was no oil on the dip stick. It doesnt seem to have the power it used to.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 1badBlueSS,

Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue? I would be happy to check my resources for any known issues. Would you please provide the last 8-digits of your VIN (PM if you prefer)?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 2nd, 2013, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

I did last year around this time at Spurr Chevy in Brockport ny. I told them that it was low on oil and they said we have never heard of this. Il told them it was 2 quarts low and they said that the reason that is because there is always 2 quarts left in the oil lines. I was like right....wierd thing is i have checked the oil all though the year and it seemed not bad at all. Now that its colder it seems to be getting worse. I am going to take it to another dealer and have them check it out. Ill be taking it to Bob Johnson Chevy in rochester ny. I havent scheduled anything yet.
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 1badBlueSS,

Thank you for the update. Please keep me posted of the results of your upcoming dealer visit.

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 5th, 2013, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

i own chevy equinox 2010 i bought it last march 2010 and its only 27000 mileage now..last dec.28,2012 im driving to pick up my wife so i enter to the 710 free way..my car cant run more than 20 mph so went out to free way and turn to del amo exit going to WIN chevy dealer then i found out the priblem is the transmission so right now im scared even they replace a new one i want to trade my equinox to other model can you help if i can trade to another model...
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

I bought my 2010 Equinox 3 years ago and I have almost 37000 miles on it now. I started noticing the noise last year, especially when I stopped and accelerated at low speed, so more noticeable when driving slow like at a park lot. Embarrassing. I took it in to the Chevy dealership for a check up. They said all I needed was oil change and I shouldn't have waited for over 5000 miles to get it done. I told them I followed the sticker on my windshield and I didn't go that long to get oil changed. The noise stopped and after three months it started making the same noise again. I took to the same dealership and they said i waited too long for oil change. I told them it has only been 3000 miles (3 months) between my oil changes. They said my oil tank was empty and this new GM enginee eats oil. They said if it is empty again after driving less than 2000 miles then bring it in for a check up again. Recently I started hearing the noise again and it has only been 2300 miles since oil change. Now my warranty just expired. Do I have to get oil change every 2000 miles now? I wish they fixed whatever the real problem was instead of just oil change and sent me home. Now my warranty expired and I can't afford to bring it back to have them look at it.
Old January 9th, 2013, 3:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by thonz_0117
i own chevy equinox 2010 i bought it last march 2010 and its only 27000 mileage now..last dec.28,2012 im driving to pick up my wife so i enter to the 710 free way..my car cant run more than 20 mph so went out to free way and turn to del amo exit going to WIN chevy dealer then i found out the priblem is the transmission so right now im scared even they replace a new one i want to trade my equinox to other model can you help if i can trade to another model...
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> thonz_0117,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. I would be happy to look into this further for you. If you would like me to proceed, please PM me the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Outraged and Discouraged

I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ that is a v4. I LOVED the vehicle because it was fully loaded. I purchased the Nox in August 2012. A month later the problems began:

1. The key was getting stuck in the ignition. After taking the truck back and forth to the dealer four (4) times they discovered it was the gear shift **** that needed to be replaced (even after I told him I knew that was the problem due to another forum that I read through that stated that was the common fix). They replaced the silinoid (sp?), lubricated the ignition, replaced two "modules", etc.

2. The door locks get stuck in the unlocked position

3. I heard a rattling noise from the engine (I mean the noise was horrible and the truck was kind of hopping up and down) and they stated that another dealership had replaced the timing chain but not the surrounding components so they replaced that, changed the oil and the rattling noise subsided.

4. Now, the rattling noise is back and when I went to go get an oil change within the three months time the servicer stated that the oil was just about EMPTY and he would not change the oil because there was a "knocking" noise coming from the lower part of the engine. I heard it too but thought that I was going crazy because previously the dealership said that noise was considered "NORMAL", really? That's noise is normal, I thought? Well guess what....it's time for me to give up on this vehicle!!

I'm torn between upgrading to the 2012 Equinox that's a V6 LTZ or going with a whole new manufacturer all together. I loved the SPACE and design of the Equinox but after this whole ordeal I have a sour taste. I'm too afraid that I might wind up with the same issues in the new Equinox.

Although, the trend I've noticed is that the V4 Equinoxes tend to have the most engine issues. Am I wrong for that conclusion? Has anyone outside of the V4 version had issues?

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay