Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:33 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2010 Equinox - Low Brake Fluid followed by Service Stabilitrak message

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2013, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Equinox - Low Brake Fluid followed by Service Stabilitrak message

My wife informed me her FWD 3.0 V-6 Equinox displays the Low Brake Fluid message a few minutes after driving. About a minute after that message appears, the Service Stabilitrak message comes on. The brake fluid light will go off and come back on intermittently throughout the drive. I drove the car this morning to work and confirmed these messages. The Equinox is about to roll 48K miles and still has original brake pads. Brakes feels normal. They don't go to the floor, they're not too firm, and there's no squeeling. I can't speak for the traction performance since the roads are dry.

On a side note, I picked it up from a body shop about 4 weeks ago because my wife rear ended someone with the driver side front of the car. Most of the damage was cosmetic but the wiper fluid reservoir also had to be replaced. I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with these messages but feel it is worth mentioning.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!!
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

The warning message isn't lying. It is telling you that the brake fluid level in your brake fluid reservoir is low. If it gets too low, you risk getting air in your brake lines which will dramatically reduce your braking power and cause a mushy brake pedal.

As your brake pads wear more fluid stays in your brake calipers since the pistons pushing on the pads gradually extend further out to compensate for reduced pad thickness. This lowers the fluid level in the reservoir. Before adding fluid I would check the brake pads and see if they need to be replaced. I don't believe in relying on warning chirper to inform you that the pads need to be replaced.

You could just add more fluid, but this maybe wasteful as the additional fluid will need to be removed when the new pads are installed because the reservoir will probably be too full.

I don't think the repair done at the body shop is related to this issue at all. The Service Stabilitrak message is turning on to warn you that it has been disabled because it cannot function properly due to the detected hydraulic failure (low brake fluid) in the brake system. It just can't work.

Last edited by ruley73; October 23rd, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks ruley73. I appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look at the brake pads and get them replaced ASAP.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 4:25 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

heygb736,

I am sorry to hear your wife is having this concern. If you need assistance still after you replace the brake pads, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 21st, 2016, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 equinox

i have problem with brake fluid light
i buy that equinox from auction been crush on driver side
i check brake fluid its full n the warning still on just need help thnx its only have 26000 miles