Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox LTZ V6 - Catalytic Converter (Back of Engine) Replacement Procedure

Old June 9th, 2015, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clamp was completely loose.

Anyways.

Lets say I replace both sensors and it does not fix it. Will they be at any risk of being destroyed before I can get a new converter in it?
Old June 9th, 2015, 4:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by webdawg
The clamp was completely loose.

Anyways.

Lets say I replace both sensors and it does not fix it. Will they be at any risk of being destroyed before I can get a new converter in it?
As I said before, all of your oxygen sensors are identical parts. Knowing this, rather than install a new sensor, I would just swap the two downstream O2 sensors around, clear all the codes, and drive until the CEL comes on again. If you then get a P0430 code, this tells you the O2 sensor you moved to the bank 2 side (front of vehicle/radiator side) is bad. If the P0420 code comes back then it is probably a bad catalytic converter.

To answer your question, the O2 sensors would not be damaged at all. To add to this, you only need to replace the one O2 sensor that is bad. It won't hurt to replace them all, but it is unnecessary.

Again, I would be very surprised if your catalytic converter is bad. You want to be certain it is in fact bad because it will cost you over $500 in parts alone to replace. For comparison, one replacement sensor is only about $55 (AC Delco p/n 2134553 shipped from RockAuto). The only brands of O2 sensors I use are NTK, Denso, or AC Delco. I'm pretty sure your Equinox came with Denso sensors from the factory. The AC Delco replacements will probably be Denso parts in an AC Delco package.

Although AC Delco is the brand of most OEM GM parts, many AC Delco parts are manufactured/supplied by different companies and just have the AC Delco brand on the package.
Old June 11th, 2015, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Can someone tell me what the 3rd 'converter' after the y pipe is on my vehicle? Is it just a resonator. The guys at GM parts had no idea and did not want to do the work to tell me. It was called a converter in the parts manual.
Old June 11th, 2015, 7:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Can someone tell me what the 3rd 'converter' after the y pipe is on my vehicle? Is it just a resonator. The guys at GM parts had no idea and did not want to do the work to tell me. It was called a converter in the parts manual.
It is exactly that, a third catalytic converter. It is item 6 in this diagram. Having the exhaust go through two catalytic converters is common practice on many newer vehicles.
Old June 11th, 2015, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
It is exactly that, a third catalytic converter. It is item 6 in this diagram. Having the exhaust go through two catalytic converters is common practice on many newer vehicles.
Why would it be unmonitored?
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:56 AM
CF Pro Member

Why would it be unmonitored?
I don't know the answer to this, but it is common for them to be unmonitored.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Can someone tell me which converter is bank 1 and which is bank two?
Old July 2nd, 2015, 2:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Can someone tell me which converter is bank 1 and which is bank two?
You should know this by now.

The "bank" refers to the bank of cylinders being identified. Bank 1 is always the bank containing cylinder #1 in the firing order. In your case, Bank 1 is the rear/firewall side cylinder head. Obviously, Bank 2 is the opposite bank; in your case the front/radiator side.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

So:

Front Bank= 2-4-6 (near radiator)
Rear Bank= 1-3-5 (near firewall)

Do you know what to search for in the OEM service manual to get a diagram of the cylinder numbers?
Old July 2nd, 2015, 4:57 PM
CF Pro Member

So:

Front Bank= 2-4-6 (near radiator)
Rear Bank= 1-3-5 (near firewall)

Do you know what to search for in the OEM service manual to get a diagram of the cylinder numbers?
The info you provided is correct. The service manual doesn't have a diagram. It just provides a description under the topic "Engine Component Description (LF1 or LFW)":
...The right bank of cylinders are number 1-3-5 and the left bank of cylinders are 2-4-6, viewed from the flywheel end of the engine. The engine firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6.
I was able to find a diagram from another reliable source (Wells Search Parts Catalog).

2010 Equinox LTZ V6 - Catalytic Converter (Back of Engine) Replacement Procedure-2010-2012_3.0l_lf1_lfw_firing_order.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Equinox LTZ V6 - Catalytic Converter (Back of Engine) Replacement Procedure