Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox Transmission and Stabilitrack went out within one year

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2016, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Equinox Transmission and Stabilitrack went out within one year

I have a 2010 Equinox 2LT and in August 2015 the transmission went out (just after the 50,000 mile warranty, of course). I had the transmission rebuilt and GM paid part of the service cost. Now in May 2016 (less than 9 months later) the Stabilitrak needs serviced. The "Internal Mode Switch" which is inside the transmission housing has to be replaced. The part is $80 to $100, but the labor is $700. According to the service dept. there are a bunch of things inside the transmissions that are not replaced during a transmission rebuild. That doesn't make sense to me. With this issue I am in the same boat as having a broken transmission, because it will not go into gear. I asked why it was not replaced or suggested to me to be replaced so that I could avoid this new labor charge and the servie Advosor said I might have a new code next year and have to replace something else! Is this what I can expect from Chevy/GM products? that I will be spending $800 to $1500 every year on the transmission? I still only have about 65000 miles on the car. This is crazy!
Old May 25th, 2016, 8:08 AM
CF Veteran

That's not just GM, generally if you're getting a remanufactured or a rebuild under warranty you're only allowed to replace what is actually broken. If GM participated in the costs then they probably went by the warranty guidelines and "if its not broke don't fix it." As crappy as it sounds I've worked for Chrysler and GM and know many other guys in different vehicle manufacturers and it works the same way, if you had a mechanical part failure then you had that part and anything directly effected replaced which in most cases would not be a mode switch. Generally when I do in depth warranty repairs I'll have 2 columns of parts written up....the "needed" stuff warranty will cover and the recommended, which usually has a big discount for labor since I'm already there but every tech/dealer/shop operates differently.
Old May 25th, 2016, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, that is basically what I said to the Service Advisor, "Why was this not recommended to me?" I would have rather paid $100 then, than $800 now. The SA said they just don't see that part fail that much, but I said you don't expect a transmission to fail after 50,000 miles either do you? In my opinion they should have given me options, but you are right, everyone does it differently.