Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2011 equinox parking brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2016, 4:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 equinox parking brake adjustment

We just got this 2011 equinox, we have a 2006 torrent, but the rear brakes are different.,The equinox has the foot parking brake and it went down all the way and the service parking brake came on. I have looked around and don't see much info, is there a opening in the drum to adjust the shoes and if sp do you turn it up or down. Or should I just pull off the rotor and check it??
Old August 25th, 2016, 6:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by srp204
We just got this 2011 equinox, we have a 2006 torrent, but the rear brakes are different.,The equinox has the foot parking brake and it went down all the way and the service parking brake came on. I have looked around and don't see much info, is there a opening in the drum to adjust the shoes and if sp do you turn it up or down. Or should I just pull off the rotor and check it??
Please clarify the problem. Does the parking brake work still work fine and the light is just on? Does it not release? Does it not work at all and/or the pedal goes to the floor easily when you try to use it AND the service parking brake warning appears?

As far as adjustment goes, if you pull the rotor off you will see the park brake shoes and related hardware. It is basically setup just like most drum brakes except there are no hydraulic parts involved. Moving the star wheel teeth up toward the top pushes the park brake shoes further out, and moving the star wheel downward pulls the shoes in. You want to adjust it so that the first pedal click engages the park brake just enough that you can't spin the rotor by hand. I'm assuming the pedal clicks as you push it down like the park brake lever does when you pull up on our 2007 Equinox does, but it may not. From there it's just a matter of trial and error - put the wheels on, try it out, and adjust as necessary. The service manual suggests taking measurements with a "J-21177-A Drum-to-Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge" and using those measurements to adjust the shoes accordingly. Very few people have such a tool and purchasing it isn't worthwhile. What I suggested works fine too even if it requires a bit more labor.

I just replaced the park brake shoes and hardware on our 2007 Equinox a couple months ago. I noticed a high pitched ringing sound coming from the rear left wheel when driving at highway speeds. I removed the rotor to find that the park brake shoe was rusted and the friction material had separated from the steel backing plate.
Old August 26th, 2016, 9:04 AM
CF Junior Member

I just had it and as I parked the car on the ramps and set the parking brake it was way to easy. After the oil change it released OK but I didn't check it , the light came on and cleared . I will test it today and pull off the rotor and just check it
Thanks
Old August 27th, 2016, 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Oh boy I did not expect this, I pulled off the drum/rotor and it was filled with mud. I never saw anything like it , I've cleaned with a small wire brush and a toothbrush. I got the backplate clips off and the star adjuster, but how do I get the bottom off?.

Mud and rust

The shoe

Mud
Old August 28th, 2016, 2:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow, that's crazy and looks terrible. I'd install new park brake shoes, a new hardware kit, and maybe even the rotors if they are pitted really bad. Those shoes have no friction material left on them. I wouldn't take the backing plate off because it's not worth the extra work. You'd need to remove the bearing/hub assemblies, park brake cable, and, because you have AWD, you'd also need to remove the rear CV axles. I would just take the shoes off and wash the backing plate off with a hose & spray nozzle or a pressure washer if you have one. The shoes will come off after removing the retaining pins & clips and the upper & lower springs. Removing the springs is much easier said than done. I'd highly recommend getting a spring hook because removing those two sprigs is very difficult if you just use a pliers/vice grip and a slotted screwdriver like I did.
Old August 29th, 2016, 9:08 AM
CF Junior Member

I used a small wire brush then a toothbrush , I soaked the parts in vinegar for an hour and cleaned them again. The springs go in with a handle pick tool, but the pin and clip is the most wasted time.They work now and the light is off. I went to check the front brakes and the pads were fine but I found a broken stabilizer link ,as I was removing it the sway bar was moving all over and it was snapped in two. More work.
Old September 13th, 2016, 1:40 AM
CF Junior Member

It has been a few weeks now and the kid said the service parking brake came on at startup , I removed the rear wheels and adjusted the adjustment star. I had the brake pedal set two clicks down and adjusted until the wheel would not turn then back about 3-4 notches til I could turn the wheel . I let off the brake and could turn the wheel more easy , I put on the wheels and set the foot pedal about 4 clicks. I tried going forwards and the tire left a black mark ( I consider that holding) then I tried reverse, it did not leave a black mark but it would hold on an incline. The service light did not come on , then today after working on the front brakes, it came on again. Now I know I can't push that pedal right to the last click without some real effort and the car won't move with the parking brake set, So why is this message coming on again , the parking brake is working oh its a 2011 equinox
Old September 13th, 2016, 6:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

are you getting a message on the dic or just the red service/parking brake indicator illuminating?

did you want the ebrake to work; did you replace the shoes?
Old September 14th, 2016, 7:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Default parking brake

I had to replace the shoes , there was nothing left . The braking brakes work but the dic display sometimes comes on at startup. There is no red light on
Old September 14th, 2016, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Default old fool alert!!!

it came on and this time I actually read the display, Parking Assist Service, not parking brake service. My bad.